"Not Labeled for Residential Use"

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
oze
Grass Type: Northern mix transitioning to Regenerating Perennial Ryegrass
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Some Experience

"Not Labeled for Residential Use"

Post by oze » April 21st, 2016, 4:10 pm

I'm not trying to be a wise guy (believe it or not), but I have a question as to why certain turf-related products are not labeled for residential use. The specific example in this case is Syngenta's PGR, Trimmit, and its generic equivalents. It is OK for use on golf courses, for example, where I would suspect most of us spend more time in contact with it than we ever would on our own lawns. But is it a health issue, maybe for pets and children? Looking at the SDS for the Armortech brand, http://utaarmortech.com/products/growth-regulators#28 neither skin, eye, ingestion, inhalation, tereatologic nor carcinogenic risks seem any higher than most of the other available products to me. Is it just a matter of applying for and receiving the gummint's blessing? Thanks for any information you folks can give.

j4c11
Grass Type: Speedway/Rhambler/ Barvette HGT
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: "Not Labeled for Residential Use"

Post by j4c11 » April 21st, 2016, 6:12 pm

I believe there's regulatory stuff you have to go through to get your product labeled for residential use, and a lot of companies just don't want to go through the hassle because the residential market for the product wouldn't be big enough to justify the expense.

tlinden
Grass Type: Bewitched, Blue Velvet, Prosperity
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by tlinden » April 21st, 2016, 7:13 pm

I'd be interested in knowing too. My ASSumption has been that they are sold as super concentrates and most homeowners don't use lawn products in a careful manner. Like the guy storing chemicals in 2 liter bottles and later drinking it by accident and dieing.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » April 21st, 2016, 10:25 pm

For the most part, it means that while it's not a Restricted Use item, the instructions, measurement, application or something else is more complicated that the average homeowner can handle, and the manufacturer doesn't want to be responsible for screwed-up uses of the product. The label may discuss agitation, tank mixing and application rates that aren't simple to convert. It's a nice legal way of saying "use at your own risk, Jack".

oze
Grass Type: Northern mix transitioning to Regenerating Perennial Ryegrass
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Some Experience

Post by oze » April 22nd, 2016, 7:04 am

"Tanks", everybody!

glenforest
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Experienced

Post by glenforest » April 22nd, 2016, 8:25 am

andy10917 wrote:For the most part, it means that while it's not a Restricted Use item, the instructions, measurement, application or something else is more complicated that the average homeowner can handle, and the manufacturer doesn't want to be responsible for screwed-up uses of the product. The label may discuss agitation, tank mixing and application rates that aren't simple to convert. It's a nice legal way of saying "use at your own risk, Jack".
It could mean this or, in some cases, it could mean more. Chlorothalonil, for example, was re-labeled around 1999, and residential use was removed from the label because the EPA had new restrictions for "overall exposure" to a certain chemical. For something like chlorathalonil (Daconil), which is used widely on food crops and commercial turf, some use had to be removed to get under the allowable exposure limit. Residential use usually loses out in these decisions because agricultural and commercial uses are more lucrative. See some info here: http://archive.lib.msu.edu/tic/golfd/ar ... 3mar47.pdf