Nitrogen, TTTF, and my first summer in TN.

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
Zareth
Grass Type: Renovating to Midnight KBG and LS1200 Tall fescue
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Nitrogen, TTTF, and my first summer in TN.

Post by Zareth » May 4th, 2016, 12:26 am

The title kind of says it all.
But basically I am trying to figure out when I should stop applying Nitrogen in my zone.
There is a lot of advice on when to stop fertilizing KBG, and height of cut for KBG, Im just coming up short on tall fescue.

For example, if my TTTF cultivars were bred to be cut lower between 2-3 inches is there still benefit to 4 inch HOC?
If the soil is well shaded and the canopy is thick Is there still a lot of benefit or does the taller grass let the roots go much deeper?
I know people say that about trees - trimming the canopy prevents the roots from spreading out, but I don't believe that to be true, maybe it is true about grass though.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Nitrogen, TTTF, and my first summer in TN.

Post by andy10917 » May 4th, 2016, 7:08 am

Am I reading it right that you have TTTF, Bermuda and PR?

McLovin
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Novice

Post by McLovin » May 4th, 2016, 7:47 am

My TTTF gets N only in Sept - Oct, and winterizer in December or so (although I have started putting Milorganite down in mid to late August). Spring N applications can lead to summer problems with cool season turf in the mid-South.

HOC: I am at 2.5" and want to keep the HOC at 3" or less. I have a lot of trees and shade and the TTTF does well there. I think the afternoon shade helps.

Zareth

Post by Zareth » May 4th, 2016, 11:03 pm

andy10917 wrote:Am I reading it right that you have TTTF, Bermuda and PR?
The bermuda was in the front yard when I bought the home, I overseeded with PR last fall and with TTTF this spring, and I have been doing tenacity/triclopyr to try to supress the existing bermuda.

However my back yard was a full reno with 3 months of round up applications so its completely TTTF... and poa annua haha.

Zareth

Post by Zareth » May 4th, 2016, 11:07 pm

McLovin wrote:My TTTF gets N only in Sept - Oct, and winterizer in December or so (although I have started putting Milorganite down in mid to late August). Spring N applications can lead to summer problems with cool season turf in the mid-South.

HOC: I am at 2.5" and want to keep the HOC at 3" or less. I have a lot of trees and shade and the TTTF does well there. I think the afternoon shade helps.
Well out of desperation I hit the fescue with Urea in march and early early april because I was just hoping to help the new turf get more established since it had been planted last fall.

Im trying 4 inch HOC but its floppy and awful.
I feel like this fescue wants to be cut at 2 to 2.5 to be firm and upright...
I've been dropping Milorganite every week at bag rate....
And probably 50 lbs a week of organics from either alfala pellets or soybean meal.
Im just that guy whos number one problem is OVER DOING EVERYTHING.. so im hoping someone will give me a stern telling off and I will finally put away the spreader till fall haha.

Zareth

Post by Zareth » May 5th, 2016, 1:02 pm

So anybody have suggestions?
Is it okay to do milorganite still or should I stop?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

bernstem
Grass Type: Front: Solar Eclipse/Award/Bewitched/Moonlight SLT/Prosperity Back: Solar Eclipse Monostand + Bewitched (shade)

Post by bernstem » May 5th, 2016, 2:39 pm

That is a lot of spring fertilizing. In general, you want to do most of your fertilizing in the fall. Too much spring Nitrogen can lead to disease issues in the summer as the heat and humidity rise - especially in the transition zone. I would hold off unless the lawn is saying it needs something.

McLovin

Post by McLovin » May 5th, 2016, 10:23 pm

First rule for lawn care is patience. I get the overdoing everything but it is good to slow down and take a walk through the lawn and observe once in a while rather than sling stuff with the spreader. I say that after I slung some grubex last week LOL.

I have milorganite reserved for later (like in 10 to 12 weeks). I am not going to give any lawn hobbyist a stern warning, I am not a professional & have not stayed at a Holiday Inn Express in over a year. Just sharing things I have learned (from folks like John in SC, Georgia Dad, the NC lawn mafia, etc.)and practiced myself.

Re: HOC: I like the 2.5" HOC since the fall reno. I am going to have to raise it soon when it heats up but for the time being it looks like "opening day" according to the neighbors. This time of year is not ideal for lowering the height but if you want to go that route I would be happy to chime in with a plan. Bob Hogan told me that the turf does better at a lower HOC, and I agree.

and Go Preds!

Zareth

Post by Zareth » May 6th, 2016, 12:41 am

Hmm Grubex.. I do have grubs but I had decided to hold off till fall. Crap I better relax haha.

McLovin

Post by McLovin » May 6th, 2016, 9:21 pm

Full disclosure: The grubs are not the problem, the raccoons like them for a midnight snack. That is why I put it down. First time for me.

And the Preds won!!! (3OTs and at 0103 hrs - not that I was conscious at the final whistle).