Powdery Mildew - Heavy impact - Options?

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
gordon
Grass Type: KBG Sideyard fall 2009:Midnight, Moonlight, Bedazzled Front and Backyard Fall 2015: Midnight, Bedazzled, Blueberry
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Powdery Mildew - Heavy impact - Options?

Post by gordon » June 16th, 2016, 9:28 am

Hi guys..I posted on my reno thread, but am asking here as I think the situation has become dire....Need help on Powdery Mildew...

I knew I was challenging the lawn gods when I planted my front lawn which is shaded by two large sycamores.....

The Reno has done great both front and back, but the past two weeks the front yard has started thinning out and dying off in some spots...the powdery mildew was there last fall, but has now spread across most of the front lawn....

I have been waiting for my tree guy for a few weeks to lighten the canopy which should happen within a few days.....

Should I intervene with the milk sprays, or cornmeal treatment? I thought it would go away as I always had read it was seasonal....any help would be appreciated....thanks in advance guys...

Gordon

ClintB
Grass Type: Northern mix fall 2020 reno to elite KBG
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Experienced

Re: Powdery Mildew - Heavy impact - Options?

Post by ClintB » June 16th, 2016, 4:28 pm

I have had issues with powdery mildew in a shaded area that I went heavy with Bewitched in my kbg mix. This year I have been spraying Serenade every othe week with 80 to 90 percent reduction in the amount of Powdery mildew. It isnt the miracle cure but has been pretty effective considering cost and that its not a fungicide. I assume you are in the more natural approach based on the ideas you listed and Serenade would fit in that category as well.

I cant speak about cornmeal or milk as I have never used them before (ok I drink milk, but not on the turf). Good luck!

[ Post made via Android ] Image

tlinden
Grass Type: Bewitched, Blue Velvet, Prosperity
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by tlinden » June 16th, 2016, 5:37 pm

Cornmeal / milk and other items like that might aid in prevention but won't cure. I believe I used serenade as well and it worked great.

But you need to get the area to be dry if you want long term success. I had to reduce the watering in that area for it to go away for good.

oze
Grass Type: Northern mix transitioning to Regenerating Perennial Ryegrass
Lawn Size: 3000-5000

Post by oze » June 16th, 2016, 5:50 pm

^+1

I have become a big proponent of Serenade. Unfortunately, it's efficacy as a cure is not nearly as good as it is as a preventative. If the PM is as bad as it sounds, I would recommend a fungicide labeled for PM. At least to get it under control; then you could switch to the biologicals. I understand the desire to not use chemicals, but sometimes, it is either do that or live with whatever damage the fungus causes.

tlinden
Grass Type: Bewitched, Blue Velvet, Prosperity

Post by tlinden » June 16th, 2016, 8:20 pm

I got side tracked but you also want to use liquid fungicide not dry to apply. It needs to contact the mildew. You can also now shorter to help it dry out faster (depending on the area use a blower?)

BoatDrinksQ5
Grass Type: 9k of KBG (2013 sod) Blue-tastic, Corsair, BlackJack, Empire

Post by BoatDrinksQ5 » June 17th, 2016, 12:18 pm

yeah I have had a bad PM issue around/near my house - Heavy doses of Serenade and Companion make it laugh once it is estabilished. haha -

sadly 3-4wk apps didn't prevent for me either... so this year.... I've been slacking.... will be landscaping the areas in the coming year or two as they are not ideal grass locations (around deck/hills/house edge...etc)

napper
Grass Type: Midnight II, Rhapsody, Blueberry, Bewitched
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Experienced

Post by napper » June 17th, 2016, 2:48 pm

I have a big PM problem in the shaded areas. Had been applying Serenade every 10 days at 4 oz/K. Applied eagle at 1.2 oz/K on Monday and and PM is starting to clear up.

wis99ski
Grass Type: Front: Blueberry, Bewitched, Prosperity ---- Back: Bewitched, Everest, America

Post by wis99ski » June 17th, 2016, 5:06 pm

I have done far less N this year and have noticed a much "healthier" looking lawn.

gordon
Grass Type: KBG Sideyard fall 2009:Midnight, Moonlight, Bedazzled Front and Backyard Fall 2015: Midnight, Bedazzled, Blueberry
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by gordon » June 20th, 2016, 10:30 am

Thanks for all the replies...The Serenade arrived yesterday....I will look into a fungicide for PM...the back yard is so nice, and I am hopeful that once the PM is gone, the front will recover....

Gordon