Anything comparable to Heritage G for fungus problems

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
Ric Clint
Grass Type: TTTF Mix of Cochise IV & Bullseye
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Anything comparable to Heritage G for fungus problems

Post by Ric Clint » June 18th, 2016, 3:39 am

It's my understanding that Heritage G controls Brown Spot, Dollar Spot, Leaf Spot, etc.

My local John Deere Landscapes (Site One Landscapes Supply) has 30lbs bags for I think $70 or so.

Is there anything else that is somewhat comparable to it that does a decent job for cheaper? Like Bayer Advanced Fungus Control or Scotts Lawn Fungus Control or Spectracide Immunox?

*Bayer Advanced Fungus Control (Propiconazole 0.51%)... bag says it Cures & Protects for 1-month
*Scotts Lawn Fungus Control (Thiophanate-methyl 2.30%)... bag says it Prevents & Controls for 2-3 weeks
*Spectracide Immunox (not sure what chemicals is in this or how it works???)

Thanks!

future_lawnnut
Grass Type: Northern mix

Re: Anything comparable to Heritage G for fungus problems

Post by future_lawnnut » June 18th, 2016, 8:21 am

Patch-pro, Amazon has it for the best price.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

nclawnguy
Grass Type: tttf
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by nclawnguy » June 18th, 2016, 8:37 am

Ric Clint wrote:It's my understanding that Heritage G controls Brown Spot, Dollar Spot, Leaf Spot, etc.

My local John Deere Landscapes (Site One Landscapes Supply) has 30lbs bags for I think $70 or so.

Is there anything else that is somewhat comparable to it that does a decent job for cheaper? Like Bayer Advanced Fungus Control or Scotts Lawn Fungus Control or Spectracide Immunox?

*Bayer Advanced Fungus Control (Propiconazole 0.51%)... bag says it Cures & Protects for 1-month
*Scotts Lawn Fungus Control (Thiophanate-methyl 2.30%)... bag says it Prevents & Controls for 2-3 weeks
*Spectracide Immunox (not sure what chemicals is in this or how it works???)

Thanks!

Heritage G does not work on dollar spot. Propiconazole is what you need for that. As far as brown patch, nothing works like heritage. It is the best from my experience.

bernstem
Grass Type: Front: Solar Eclipse/Award/Bewitched/Moonlight SLT/Prosperity Back: Solar Eclipse Monostand + Bewitched (shade)

Post by bernstem » June 18th, 2016, 9:45 pm

Heritage is a QoI fungicide and not available in a generic form to my knowledge. It is expensive because of that and because it just works and works well. Add in that it is the only QoI class fungicide that is truly systemic and there really isn't anything comparable.

But... it doesn't work for some diseases. If you have one of those, it is an expensive waste of time. There are other diseases that are more effectively treated with other, cheaper fungicides. In that case it is just a waste of money.

The first question to ask is what are you trying to treat?

McLovin
Grass Type: TTTF
Level: Novice

Post by McLovin » June 19th, 2016, 1:19 pm

There is a "generic" azoxystrobin (same as Heritage) called Stobe 50WG, about half the cost per AI but the smallest available size is 16 oz for about $226 (you can get Heritage in 4 oz bottles for $120)

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/strob ... gQodN6oOMA

There is a product called Disarm M which has QoI + DMI: "providing effective control of major foliar diseases in June on Bentgrass, Kentucky bluegrass and annual bluegrass (Poa annua) turf, including Anthracnose, Dollar Spot and Summer Patch, plus Brown Patch, Gray Leaf Spot, Pythium, Red Thread, Snow Mold, Spring Dead Spot, Take-all Patch, Zoysia Patch and many other problem diseases."

http://www.lawnandlandscape.com/product/disarmm/

Disarm M may not be available anymore? Shows as discontinued on DMOpestcontrol.

bernstem
Grass Type: Front: Solar Eclipse/Award/Bewitched/Moonlight SLT/Prosperity Back: Solar Eclipse Monostand + Bewitched (shade)

Post by bernstem » June 19th, 2016, 4:48 pm

McLovin wrote:There is a "generic" azoxystrobin (same as Heritage) called Stobe 50WG, about half the cost per AI but the smallest available size is 16 oz for about $226 (you can get Heritage in 4 oz bottles for $120).
I forgot about that one. Thanks! :good: Curative rate for Heritage is 0.4 Oz/k every 2-4 weeks, so you do not need a lot of product. Plan on at least two applications assuming that your disease is susceptible.

Ric Clint

Post by Ric Clint » June 20th, 2016, 3:05 am

Ok, here's my proposed Fungus issues. What exactly are these and what can I do to help this? If you can't see these images clearly, just click on the image and then after the new page comes up, then click on the words above the PIC that says "Download original image" and it becomes really big to where you can zoom in on it... which I'm sure ya'll already know what to do for the images. :)

These 3 PICS are from the same area:

Wow, look at that hand... that's a beautiful hand... that hand could be a model. :no:
Nah, this 1 PIC makes me think possibly Grub damage? Or maybe just the same as the PICS below...I'm not sure? In this area, the dead grass just seems to pull right out of the ground very easily without any effort...which is what made me think of Grub damage. What do you think?:

Last edited by Ric Clint on June 20th, 2016, 3:37 am, edited 3 times in total.

Ric Clint

Post by Ric Clint » June 20th, 2016, 3:05 am

These 3 PICS are of the same area (each PIC just gets more close-up). Is this Brown Patch or just Heat Stress causing die-out??? If you zoom in on the 3rd PIC it looks like there is some "black spots" on some of the dead leaves AND some of the green leaves.:

These 2 PICS are of the same area (each PIC just gets more close-up). Is this Brown Patch or just Heat Stress causing die-out??? Does this area have the same thing going on as the other 3 PICS above this?:

Thanks!

Ric Clint

Post by Ric Clint » June 20th, 2016, 12:26 pm

I also wanted to mention that I see some "tiny" little brown Mushrooms here and there too throughout the yard... what is that a sign of and what causes that? What's the cure? Is this more of a Fungus-related issue or more of a Pesticide-related issue?

Thanks!

BoatDrinksQ5
Grass Type: 9k of KBG (2013 sod) Blue-tastic, Corsair, BlackJack, Empire

Post by BoatDrinksQ5 » June 20th, 2016, 12:43 pm

little brown mushrooms are a sign of fungi breaking down organic matter in your yard. Typically show up during dewy/wet periods...so just a sign of plenty of moisture. Nothing to worry about. natural :)

Ric Clint

Post by Ric Clint » June 22nd, 2016, 12:11 pm

Does anybody have any advice on the first 3 Pics and what exactly this is? What Fungicide I can put down that will help this problem? Scotts, Bayer, Spectracide, etc.?

And does the 4th Pic sound like Grub Damage to you? I haven't put down a Grub control product this year and have been watering 2-3 times per week so should I go ahead and drop some now? Scotts GrubEx?

Thanks!

McLovin

Post by McLovin » June 22nd, 2016, 6:18 pm

Ric how old is your lawn? Is this the first summer? IIRC you got a late start last fall but this could be a different lawn.

Did you have any spring issues?

Ric Clint

Post by Ric Clint » June 23rd, 2016, 3:47 am

McLovin wrote:Ric how old is your lawn? Is this the first summer? IIRC you got a late start last fall but this could be a different lawn.

Did you have any spring issues?

Yeah, I got a late start last fall... October 23, 2015 is when I dropped my TTTF seed (Glyphosated everything a couple weeks earlier before Seed day). But actually everything came in really thick because we had a really long extended Summer/Fall... it just never got cold and continued to be pretty warm on into like January, lol. So this is the first real Summer since it's been planted.

I didn't have any Spring issues really... just a few Weeds here and there that Ortho WBG took care of.

Here's a Pic of my grass in the Spring... but since then, I have starter seeing this dis-coloration so I'm not quiet sure what to do (I have been watering 2-3 times a week for the last couple of weeks because we have been having high Temperatures of like 90-95 for the last 2 weeks or so):

Thanks!

McLovin

Post by McLovin » June 24th, 2016, 10:09 am

Wow that is beautiful. Can you take one more to show what it looks like now?

Ric Clint

Post by Ric Clint » June 24th, 2016, 3:09 pm

McLovin wrote:Wow that is beautiful. Can you take one more to show what it looks like now?
Thanks!

Keep in mind this Building and Yard/Landscape/Shrubs is still under "remodel-ization".

This Pic was actually taken last Saturday (6-18). And I know some may compare this Pic to the Pic from my previous post and say that the dark green color dropped off due to the heat... but I have been watering 2-3 times per week. And you can't really tell in the Pic due to being so far back but I believe the reason the "overall" color looks to be alot lighter green color than it did just a few weeks ago is due to the fungus issues I have going on -- and what I mean by that, is when you get up close to the grass at eye level, it looks like every other grass blade is GREEN and then every other grass blade is YELLOW (fungus???)... so when you step back from a distance, all the Yellowish looking grass blades "blend in" with the Green grass blades and make the "overall" appearance look "not so green". I think maybe if I could clear up, or cure, this Fungus issue I have going on, and make those Yellowish grass blades become healthy again... that my yard's "overall" appearance would once again resemble the darker green healthier look as seen in my previous Pic... even in this hot weather (because I'm watering regularly).

Here's the Pic from last Saturday (6-18):

And here's the 3 Pics of the Fungus again:

Thanks!

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » June 24th, 2016, 3:22 pm

What I do is narrow it down to a few things and find a fungicide that can hit all of 3 primary suspects. Heritage G is the nuclear option. Eagle is great too, though - and much less expensive. There's also propiconazole (Bayer Advanced current AI) - even less expensive and on the shelf at your local big box. All those will hit brown patch + leaf spot.

Ric Clint

Post by Ric Clint » June 25th, 2016, 1:54 am

HoosierLawnGnome wrote:
What I do is narrow it down to a few things and find a fungicide that can hit all of 3 primary suspects. Heritage G is the nuclear option. Eagle is great too, though - and much less expensive. There's also propiconazole (Bayer Advanced current AI) - even less expensive and on the shelf at your local big box. All those will hit brown patch + leaf spot.
HoosierLawnGnome,

Do you think my fungus issues from the Pics above may actually be Leaf Spot instead of Dollar Spot?

Thanks!

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » June 25th, 2016, 9:16 am

Could be lea spot. The dollar spot I've seen in my own lawn has been shown up in groups of plate sized ovular circles.

So find a fungicide that hits BP, leaf spot, AND dollar spot then.

It can be riskier to take a week to figure out exactly what species of fungi you may be dealing with while the problem is small than to take quick action by applying a cure to a broad spectrum of suspects. Wait a week and you may have real problems.

Casutherland
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

Post by Casutherland » July 6th, 2016, 3:33 pm

What do you guys recommend for the tool to apply it with? I think I am going to attempt and correct the problem myself. A company is trying to charge me $62 for a one time application to treat my leaf spot. I would love a recommendation on which sprayer to use for my entire yard, as well as the mixture ratio for tall fescue, and which product.

Ric Clint

Post by Ric Clint » July 6th, 2016, 11:39 pm

The poster above (Casutherland) got me to thinking about something else... When is it better to use a Foliar Spray for Fungus issues versus using a Granular product? In my mind, just thinking out loud here, it seems that since the Fungus is on the grass leaf, that naturally you would ALWAYS use a Foliar Spray instead of Granular??? But yet I see alot of Granular Fungus products around Home Depot and Lowes and even mentioned on this site alot so I am wondering if the Granular products work as good as the Foliar Spray? Does the Granular still help the grass leaf tissue cure/recover eventhough it is basically being applied to the Soil (instead of the actual leaf) and then watered in for activation.

What's your thoughts?

Thanks!