Yard being treated by company - left yard yellow

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
Casutherland
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

Yard being treated by company - left yard yellow

Post by Casutherland » July 4th, 2016, 8:45 pm

So I live in South Nashville and recently had my yard sodded with tall fescue in early April. I decided to have a company spray my yard over the past few months and have no been throughly pleased with their service.

The last time they sprayed my yard it turned the entire thing yellow.

Can someone please advise what happened? Did they burn it with fertilizer or do I just need to water?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Yard being treated by company - left yard yellow

Post by turf_toes » July 4th, 2016, 8:58 pm

Hard to say without knowing exactly what was sprayed.

Sent from my iOS device using the Yard Help App

nclawnguy
Grass Type: tttf
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by nclawnguy » July 4th, 2016, 9:01 pm

What did they spray?
Pictures would help too.

Casutherland

Post by Casutherland » July 4th, 2016, 9:08 pm

I'll call them on Tuesday and ask what they sprayed. Also, everyone I try to post an img from my phone, it says file too large.

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.

Post by turf_toes » July 4th, 2016, 9:51 pm

You'll need to reduce the file size before uploading.

Sent from my iOS device using the Yard Help App

Casutherland

Post by Casutherland » July 4th, 2016, 11:12 pm

Casutherland

Post by Casutherland » July 4th, 2016, 11:12 pm

g-man
Grass Type: Mix (mostly KBG)

Post by g-man » July 5th, 2016, 9:45 am

Are you watering ? If so, at what time of the day, for how long and how frequently?

The side of the house looks shaded, how does that section look?

Normally the commercial guys will list what they added (but not the rate or qty) in the bill. Do you still have it?

Casutherland

Post by Casutherland » July 5th, 2016, 10:07 am

g-man wrote:Are you watering ? If so, at what time of the day, for how long and how frequently?

The side of the house looks shaded, how does that section look?

Normally the commercial guys will list what they added (but not the rate or qty) in the bill. Do you still have it?

I normally try to water either early in the morning, or around 5-6 in the evening. I will normally give it about a 20-30 minute soak before switching sections. I will tell you that prior to this company spraying, the yard we much greener. After they sprayed, I did not water for about 1-2 days and it turned this color shortly after.

The company's website is http://www.secondnature.net. All it states is the following "Today we applied micronutrient soil amendments and weed control as needed." They charge me $42 every 6 weeks, and my yard is about 2500-3000 sq ft. Do you think I could do this myself cheaper and better? Should I have my soil tested? Any recommendations?

Thanks for everyone's help!

Casutherland

Post by Casutherland » July 5th, 2016, 10:19 am

Just called and was told that they used Axilo Fertilizer and Solitaire Weed Control.

Darkshadow
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF

Post by Darkshadow » July 5th, 2016, 10:29 am

Do any of your neighbors use the same service and do you see the same symptoms in their lawn?

Since you are paying them your money, have you called them to come out and look to advise what they believe the issue to be?

Did the lawn service perform a soil test before starting their regimen? If so, did you get a copy?

As far as Axilo, you'll need to get the exact name so we can search for the label. Also, at what rate was it applied?

Casutherland

Post by Casutherland » July 5th, 2016, 10:39 am

Darkshadow wrote:Do any of your neighbors use the same service and do you see the same symptoms in their lawn?

Since you are paying them your money, have you called them to come out and look to advise what they believe the issue to be?

Did the lawn service perform a soil test before starting their regimen? If so, did you get a copy?

As far as Axilo, you'll need to get the exact name so we can search for the label. Also, at what rate was it applied?
Let me call back and ask them more details. They are coming out to access the situation, but they charge $18 for a soil test on the yard (I requested they do it for free since they jacked up my yard). They did not do one initially, but I have requested they do one when they come out. Yes, my neighbors yard experienced something similar, but not to the extent of my yard. My neighbor also had his yard sodded by the same company, but continues to make the mistake of cutting his grass at around 2 inches. I normally cut mine between 3.5-4 inches.

*Update*

Called back and the customer service rep stated that they only thing on file is that they put down Axilo and Solitare. However, they are sending a tech out at some point this week, and I told them that I wanted to meet with them when they come by to get to the bottom of this. So I will let you guys know more when I find out!

At the current moment, if anyone has any ideas, that would be very helpful!

nclawnguy

Post by nclawnguy » July 5th, 2016, 11:00 am

Solitare herbicide contains Sulfentrazone. There's an old thread about sulfentrazone here http://aroundtheyard.com/northern/warni ... t7158.html
I believe Sulfentrazone should be only applied to established turf.

Casutherland

Post by Casutherland » July 5th, 2016, 11:16 am

nclawnguy wrote:Solitare herbicide contains Sulfentrazone. There's an old thread about sulfentrazone here http://aroundtheyard.com/northern/warni ... t7158.html
Thanks for the reply. Now if I were to apply food and weed prevention to my own yard (and not pay a company to do it), do you have any recommendations for Fescue in TN. We have fairly hot summers and normally are in a moderate drought throughout the summer. I just want to make sure I keep my yard very healthy and lush.

This Fesuce sod cost me about $2000 to put down and the construction company raked away all the top soil that we had prior to building. So it is sitting on top of a very thick clay. The clay tends to hold good moisture, but the grass grows VERY slowly. How can I enrichen the soil and also kill weeds in the yard. I would like to maintain my yard myself, and save money while putting the best possible nutrients in the soil.

Casutherland

Post by Casutherland » July 5th, 2016, 11:21 am

nclawnguy wrote:Solitare herbicide contains Sulfentrazone. There's an old thread about sulfentrazone here http://aroundtheyard.com/northern/warni ... t7158.html

Also, the company claims that the solitare (sulfentrazone) is a spot spray. They do not apply it to the entire yard. So I should only be seeing it in patches correct? Instead, I am seeing it across the entire yard.

Let me know your thoughts.

Darkshadow
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF

Post by Darkshadow » July 5th, 2016, 11:40 am

You came to the right place if you want to learn how to take care of your lawn yourself. Start reading these forums and articles. Definitely get a soil test and start a new thread in the soil management forum specific to your yard so people can comment. You should also do a physical soil analysis test. Either with a jar, or send it in to Logan Labs when you get your regular soil test done. Also, start reading up on watering practices. There are tons of good threads on this site. Warning, with all of this, you will be learning a lot more than you may intend. So set your expectations appropriately and make a plan for yourself and stick to it.

Did you ever find out which Axilo fertilizer and at what rate it was applied? Axilo looks like a line of several different formulas, so it would be interesting to know which was applied. Also, just for the heck of it, ask the tech that comes out how they knew what to apply to your lawn without doing a soil analysis.

nclawnguy

Post by nclawnguy » July 5th, 2016, 11:43 am

Casutherland wrote:
nclawnguy wrote: Thanks for the reply. Now if I were to apply food and weed prevention to my own yard (and not pay a company to do it), do you have any recommendations for Fescue in TN. We have fairly hot summers and normally are in a moderate drought throughout the summer. I just want to make sure I keep my yard very healthy and lush.

This Fesuce sod cost me about $2000 to put down and the construction company raked away all the top soil that we had prior to building. So it is sitting on top of a very thick clay. The clay tends to hold good moisture, but the grass grows VERY slowly. How can I enrichen the soil and also kill weeds in the yard. I would like to maintain my yard myself, and save money while putting the best possible nutrients in the soil.
New sod, I would just water and mow when needed, try to keep alive through the summer, do not stress it. You can always tackle the weeds next year when it's more established. You can apply milorganite for fertilizer if you want this summer. Save the synthetic ferts for the fall. You can do a soil test to see if you are lacking anything in your soil - see the soil forum for more info on that.

ENVY23
Grass Type: KBG: Midnight, Bluebank, Mazama
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by ENVY23 » July 5th, 2016, 11:44 am

Do you have irrigation(or are willing to water)? It's hard to keep it green in our summers without sufficient water. For pre-emergent weed control, go to Lowe's and find this. It should be in the fertilizer section, and make sure the active ingredient is dithiopyr, because I THINK they have another 0-0-7 with a different active ingredient. Cost for this is around $20/bag and one bag will cover your spring and fall applications. This will NOT kill weeds you already have, but it will prevent new ones from germinating. Feed monthly with Milorganite, one bag will cover your entire yard and costs around $13. It's a slow release fertilizer and won't burn your lawn. It also contains iron with helps give you that deep green color. Any weeds that may pop up can be controlled by following The Triangle Approach. I think those products used in conjunction with proper watering and mowing should get you the results you're looking for without breaking the bank or spending a lot of time on the lawn.

Casutherland

Post by Casutherland » July 5th, 2016, 11:47 am

Darkshadow wrote:You came to the right place if you want to learn how to take care of your lawn yourself. Start reading these forums and articles. Definitely get a soil test and start a new thread in the soil management forum specific to your yard so people can comment. You should also do a physical soil analysis test. Either with a jar, or send it in to Logan Labs when you get your regular soil test done. Also, start reading up on watering practices. There are tons of good threads on this site. Warning, with all of this, you will be learning a lot more than you may intend. So set your expectations appropriately and make a plan for yourself and stick to it.

Did you ever find out which Axilo fertilizer and at what rate it was applied? Axilo looks like a line of several different formulas, so it would be interesting to know which was applied. Also, just for the heck of it, ask the tech that comes out how they knew what to apply to your lawn without doing a soil analysis.
Thanks brother I will do it. Taking care of my yard has almost become more of an obsession than a hobby. I love to water the yard and make everything look nice. I am so OSD about the yard.

The customer service rep with Second Nature told me that the Axilo was an organic fertilizer and was spray at a low rate, as to not burn the grass since it does get so hot and dry in TN. We have had quite a bit of rain this week, but still in somewhat of a drought. The owner of the company is coming to access my yard tomorrow, and I will get to the bottom of the situation and let everyone know what he says. If they did "kill" my grass, they will be responsible for making it right again. I look forward to a healthy lawn.

I just got a puppy too, so I am looking into getting some "Grasssaver" tablets for his pee. Hope it works! That dog has to go out about 25 times a day feels like haha.

Casutherland

Post by Casutherland » July 5th, 2016, 11:51 am

ENVY23 wrote:Do you have irrigation(or are willing to water)? It's hard to keep it green in our summers without sufficient water. For pre-emergent weed control, go to Lowe's and find this. It should be in the fertilizer section, and make sure the active ingredient is dithiopyr, because I THINK they have another 0-0-7 with a different active ingredient. Cost for this is around $20/bag and one bag will cover your spring and fall applications. This will NOT kill weeds you already have, but it will prevent new ones from germinating. Feed monthly with Milorganite, one bag will cover your entire yard and costs around $13. It's a slow release fertilizer and won't burn your lawn. It also contains iron with helps give you that deep green color. Any weeds that may pop up can be controlled by following The Triangle Approach. I think those products used in conjunction with proper watering and mowing should get you the results you're looking for without breaking the bank or spending a lot of time on the lawn.
I really appreciate this advice! I will go and buy all of these after I get off work today. Is there a weed controller that I can use during the summer months to kill existing weeds? It is a little too late for the pre-emergent right now.

I do not have irrigation currently. I received a couple quotes around the 3-4k range, and just cannot justify the money for it right now. I have to get up early before work most mornings anyway to take out my puppy, so watering is not a huge deal for me. I purchased a few timers from home depot which makes it fairly easy. Just gets annoying putting all the hoses up before leaving for work. Evening's work best, but I know that water is most effective in the morning prior to sunrise.