Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
Casutherland
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

Lawn Treatment for Tall Fescue

Post by Casutherland » July 12th, 2016, 4:38 pm

Hey Guys,

I posted an article recently about my yard turning yellow after a fertilizer application. Well the problem caused was due to me over watering, or watering too late in the evening before dark. It created a Gray Leaf Spot Fungus in over half the yard. I am now trying to repair the grass, and it is still yellow even after treating the yard with a fungicide.

Which company do you guys recommend I use in Nashville, TN? Or which products do you recommend that I use on my lawn to get the deep dark green everyone wants?

I really would appreciate any recommendations given!

Thanks again everyone..

Darkshadow
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Lawn Treatment for Tall Fescue

Post by Darkshadow » July 12th, 2016, 5:15 pm

A few questions for you:
Have you taken soil samples from your yard and sent them off to be analyzed?
Have you read the various threads on irrigation practices in these forums to get an idea of when you should be watering and how much?
Do you have a general idea on how many inches you are watering currently each time you irrigate?

It was only last week that your lawn company sprayed for the fungus, correct? It may take repeated treatments to have a chance at becoming healthy again depending on the treatment and application rate.

Also a thought, different cultivars have different colors. So your variety may not be able to give you the shade of green you're looking to achieve.

McLovin
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Novice

Post by McLovin » July 13th, 2016, 7:51 am

Fertilize with Milorganite, it will help with color due to the iron content. I believe you have a relatively small area so that should be an easy DIY. I normally would not fertilize this time of year but it might help to get the lawn past the fungal issue. You could fertilize a small test patch to be sure but it would take a couple of weeks to see results.

Casutherland

Post by Casutherland » July 13th, 2016, 10:59 am

Darkshadow wrote:A few questions for you:
Have you taken soil samples from your yard and sent them off to be analyzed?
Have you read the various threads on irrigation practices in these forums to get an idea of when you should be watering and how much?
Do you have a general idea on how many inches you are watering currently each time you irrigate?

It was only last week that your lawn company sprayed for the fungus, correct? It may take repeated treatments to have a chance at becoming healthy again depending on the treatment and application rate.

Also a thought, different cultivars have different colors. So your variety may not be able to give you the shade of green you're looking to achieve.

I guess, I will just have to be patient. My yard looked so good about a month or so ago, so it is rather disheartening to see it in the shape it is now...I really appreciate your advice.

Currently I water about 20 minutes per "section" of my yard. I have reduced watering to 2 times per week, and try to water the yard as close to 0.75-1 inch each time, as possible.

I have read all the threads, and doing what I can. It sucks that my yard is small and odd shaped. It makes the watering process much more tedious and time consuming.

Casutherland

Post by Casutherland » July 13th, 2016, 10:59 am

McLovin wrote:Fertilize with Milorganite, it will help with color due to the iron content. I believe you have a relatively small area so that should be an easy DIY. I normally would not fertilize this time of year but it might help to get the lawn past the fungal issue. You could fertilize a small test patch to be sure but it would take a couple of weeks to see results.
Thank you, I will do that!