Lawn Renovators and Fungal outbreaks and rust.....

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
SyNtAxx
Grass Type: KBG: Blueberry/Prosperity/Bewitched
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Experienced

Lawn Renovators and Fungal outbreaks and rust.....

Post by SyNtAxx » November 1st, 2016, 3:16 pm

I'm just wondering how many renovators this year have had fungal issues? I myself have a pretty big outbreak of rust and its slowly killing the grass. I've never run into such a widespread problem and i've completed a lot of renovations.

This years renovation was completed on the hill, and look at the rust/color as compared to last years reno in the foreground.

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Level: Advanced

Re: Lawn Renovators and Fungal outbreaks and rust.....

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » November 1st, 2016, 3:35 pm

I have always had rust on renovations especially, and I've always had increased fungal issues the spring after a fall renovation.

northeastlawn
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 1000-3000

Post by northeastlawn » November 1st, 2016, 7:47 pm

I had a great picture on my lawn mower bag covered with rust from this August, but I have to figure out an image hosting service before I can post pictures again :-(

I had it bad; it wiped out my lawn big time, I know its not supposed to be fatal, but my grass never recovered from it. Some of the die off might have been POA, but I defiantly think the rust did its share of summer kill.

I blame myself for putting down too much bay state fertilizer well into July and keeping my lawn at 4". Next year I'm going to keep it at 3" and start the serenade early.

ericgautier
Grass Type: Front/Sides: Blueberry Monostand Back: TTTF+KBG
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by ericgautier » November 1st, 2016, 8:51 pm

northeastlawn wrote:I had a great picture on my lawn mower bag covered with rust from this August, but I have to figure out an image hosting service before I can post pictures again :-(
You can try ImageShack - https://imageshack.us/ or a member's image server - http://picsmart.net/

LawnDonut
Grass Type: (Front) Midnight and Bewitched; (Back) Northern mix

Post by LawnDonut » November 1st, 2016, 11:38 pm

Yep same issue with my 2016 fall Reno of midnight and bewitched. The day I saw rust dust on my mower and shoes, I begin washing everything after each mow. Doesn't help that my neighbors all have it in their lawns as well. Just hope the new lawn continues improving in the spring.

LoneRanger
Grass Type: Front/Side - Emblem, Back - Panterra V

Post by LoneRanger » November 2nd, 2016, 1:49 am

I haven't had any on my new establishment, but both neighbors do and most of the subdivision, as well.

Zareth
Grass Type: Renovating to Midnight KBG and LS1200 Tall fescue

Post by Zareth » November 2nd, 2016, 2:06 am

I have never had rust in TN except on Perennial Rye - so far I seem to have some brown patch style lesions on my TTTF but they are few and far between and I think it isn't helping that its 88 degrees but with heavy dews every night.
The KBG seems completely fine, although some has yellowish tips but I did a Tenacity/Triclopyr concoction 11 days ago which may or may not be stressing it out

GeorgiaDad
Grass Type: Frontyard: Award, NuChicago, Midnight. kbg Backyard: Mutt Fescue with a little Midnight kbg thrown in.

Post by GeorgiaDad » November 2nd, 2016, 7:29 am

Look at the tracks. You're spreading it. Clean the underside of your mower and wheels. Clean your lawn shoes too.

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Level: Advanced

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » November 2nd, 2016, 10:08 am

It's been a lot worse this year I think due to Mother Nature.

It's been above freezing and warmer for an extra 3 weeks. With diminishing sun to dry things out the grass stays damper for longer overnight. So good conditions for rust to grow in coupled with a lack of cold snaps to start killing it off

micvog
Grass Type: Mazama Monostand
Level: Some Experience

Post by micvog » November 2nd, 2016, 11:10 am

Rust was a major problem on my lawn this year (new construction KBG lawn incorrectly seeded August 2015 by my builder at 7.5#/K) and even today looks exactly like the lawn in SyNtAxx's post... and it took 8 gallons of Serenade over just 10K square feet over the course of the season to get there. My winter urea app is ready to go (mid-November?) and, after that, I am waiting for some snow to kill the leftover rust spores.

I have even more respect for what others are able to accomplish. The last 15 months have been brutal...
:blackeye: ... but the lawn survived so we can wage the fight again next year.

simpson
Grass Type: moonlight slt

Post by simpson » November 5th, 2016, 11:02 am

Put yourself down a healthy application of high nitrogen fertilizer. Rust can be harmless. Two major things tnat will help. Cut the lawn at a lower height to help with air circulation and nitrogen to help out grow it.

GaryCinChicago
Grass Type: KBG

Post by GaryCinChicago » November 5th, 2016, 10:12 pm

simpson wrote:Put yourself down a healthy application of high nitrogen fertilizer. Rust can be harmless. Two major things tnat will help. Cut the lawn at a lower height to help with air circulation and nitrogen to help out grow it.
What up Jon? :wave:

simpson
Grass Type: moonlight slt

Post by simpson » November 5th, 2016, 10:46 pm

GaryCinChicago wrote:
simpson wrote:Put yourself down a healthy application of high nitrogen fertilizer. Rust can be harmless. Two major things tnat will help. Cut the lawn at a lower height to help with air circulation and nitrogen to help out grow it.
What up Jon? :wave:
The gig is up :shock: you found me lol.

GeorgiaDad
Grass Type: Frontyard: Award, NuChicago, Midnight. kbg Backyard: Mutt Fescue with a little Midnight kbg thrown in.

Post by GeorgiaDad » November 6th, 2016, 8:37 am

.....and clean your mower so you stop spreading it.

What,s up Jon? :wave:

bauer time
Grass Type: TTTF/KBG mix
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Some Experience

Post by bauer time » November 6th, 2016, 9:51 am

I had rust on my lawn last fall and just started noticing that it is back again this fall. Last year it grow out and didn't seem to hurt the lawn at all. Am I right in assuming that rust (at least the kind I have on my lawn) is fairly harmless? I'd prefer not to put down chemicals unless this could become a bigger issue.

rtomek
Grass Type: Elite KBG Sod (unknown cultivars)

Post by rtomek » November 7th, 2016, 12:44 pm

bauer time wrote:m I right in assuming that rust (at least the kind I have on my lawn) is fairly harmless? I'd prefer not to put down chemicals unless this could become a bigger issue.
Depends on how mature the KBG is. My entire neighborhood gets it every year, I have only used serenade in the past to keep it under control just so that everything doesn't turn orange. During my reno this year, I mistook it for brown patch until I took some close-up photos because it was really damaging my seedlings. That was over a month ago now but I'm farther north and the weather is cooler here than OP's location, so now it's just powdery mildew on my turf.