How 'bout it Transition zone?

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
probasesteal
Grass Type: FRONT: SPF30, NuGlad and Midnight. BACK: Hogan's TTTF with SPF30 HBG
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: How 'bout it Transition zone?

Post by probasesteal » February 19th, 2018, 9:29 am

weigojmi wrote:
February 18th, 2018, 3:42 pm
Whats everyone doing with fertilizer in the spring/summer? Last year I didn't even put milo down until the fall and I seem no worse for wear...
I'm going to cut 1-2x then drop Milo followed by alfalfa pellets. I did fertilize pretty heavy once the new lawn was established last fall, but also missed the winterizer app. Seemed like it was warm and growing then temperatures bottomed out, warmed up and I never was able to figure out the ideal time. I was more concerned about pushing top growth.

LouisvilleGrubber
Grass Type: TTTF

Post by LouisvilleGrubber » February 19th, 2018, 6:13 pm

I think a lot of us in theTZ missed the final app. Grass was growing one day single digits the next...and the temps never came back. I am wholly convinced, however, that the grass will be green and grow just fine. It just may need a little something-something this spring. Although my yard is still the first awake as usual. I’m considering a PreM with some N built in. I dropped some seed today in some troubled areas just to see what happens. Hoping to get it germinated so I can get the PreM down. Plenty of things that can go wrong with that plan but I’m giving it a shot.

darkcrisis
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Some Experience

Post by darkcrisis » February 21st, 2018, 11:33 pm

It hit 80 here today. My grass has greened up out of the yellowing stage caused extreme cold we had in January. It is slowly growing and the triv has exploded. There are a few weeds here and there also.

I was able to get my final winterizer application out around Christmas. My parents grass (which is a few miles away) was still growing so it never got its final application. I haven't been over there to seen if it has recovered from the yellowing like mine has.

I saw a co-worker's facebook post that their forsythia bloomed. I have one in my front yard and it has not bloomed yet. The transition zone is a weird place.

UrbyTuesday
Grass Type: Tall Fescue and Weed mix

Post by UrbyTuesday » February 23rd, 2018, 5:25 pm

I'm in the same boat. Waited as LONG as possible and winterized Dec 26th. Grass had to be mowed this past Saturday on Feb 17th and will need it again tomorrow. Poa is springing up in a bunch of places and I wish I'd put something down to mitigate that. This is my first year on the ATY program so you live and learn. I think that POA is gonna become a nuisance though.

What kind of PRE-M ? I keep reading that Barricade is the ticket? I am confused as to what to buy though. Is it the Prodiamine WDG? Don't most prefer liquid PRE-M vs Granular?

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » February 23rd, 2018, 7:53 pm

The Poa Annua germinated last Fall. We're assuming that you know that Pre-M isn't going to help with that now.

Barricade, Dimension, whatever. Liquids (WDG) tend to be cheaper, as you're not paying for the stuff to be a 50-lb bag (shipping costs). Once you switch to liquids, you generally wonder why you waited so long. That first step is tough, though.

Barricade (or equivalent) is great.

weigojmi
Grass Type: TTTF...with way too much Bermuda!

Post by weigojmi » February 26th, 2018, 5:01 pm

andy10917 wrote:
February 23rd, 2018, 7:53 pm
The Poa Annua germinated last Fall. We're assuming that you know that Pre-M isn't going to help with that now.

Barricade, Dimension, whatever. Liquids (WDG) tend to be cheaper, as you're not paying for the stuff to be a 50-lb bag (shipping costs). Once you switch to liquids, you generally wonder why you waited so long. That first step is tough, though.

Barricade (or equivalent) is great.
By "first step" I assume you mean the initial cost investment? I've been dropping dimension regularly with questionable results. I keep moving up my late winter/early spring dose and lose to the clover each year. So out comes the CCO bombs.

RockinMyLawn
Grass Type: Fescue

Post by RockinMyLawn » February 26th, 2018, 8:57 pm

weigojmi wrote:
February 26th, 2018, 5:01 pm
I keep moving up my late winter/early spring dose and lose to the clover each year. So out comes the CCO bombs.
Are you seeing clovers already too?
They are all over my front sidewalk median & I'm further north of you!

I laid down Prodiamine Pre_M in November & it did nothing to the clover.
Looks like CCO is coming out earlier this year for me.

weigojmi
Grass Type: TTTF...with way too much Bermuda!

Post by weigojmi » February 27th, 2018, 1:48 pm

Yep, there was some that I just watched in one area since last fall. Temp changes, etc. didn't touch it. No wonder some people like it as a lawn. Its impervious to nature!

LouisvilleGrubber

Post by LouisvilleGrubber » March 1st, 2018, 1:04 pm

...and we have Forsythia blooms in Louisville. And I don't have a pre-M plan. As usual. It seems like I am always in the same boat, hoping for some seed to germinate so I can drop my Pre-M. The fact is, I've never dropped Pre-M.
Because the seed never germinates and I miss the window. :banghead: I guess it just washes away in the Spring floods. You'd think I'd learn. Anyway, this year I'm working in zones. I have some sod that has to be treated (it has some nasty stuff in it) - of course it also has some bald spots...Hmmm, maybe I should wait to see if the seed comes up. Damnit!

STL

Post by STL » March 5th, 2018, 12:57 pm

My tttf is just starting to green up a bit. The kbg from my reno last fall stayed fairly green all winter. The color difference was pretty stark between the two. I'm looking forward to see how they compare as the season progresses.

I also planted the kbg pots that I never got around to planting last fall. I was surprised that they stayed very green, greener than the grass in the ground, despite being left out all winter. St. Louis had some pretty cold days in December and January too.

Rain was in the forecast so got my pre m down yesterday too.
bernstem wrote:
January 6th, 2018, 11:48 am
STL: You probably hit it perfectly. My lawn was still growing the week before Christmas.
Awesome! Thanks Bern. I was a little worried that I missed the winterizing window.

LouisvilleGrubber

Post by LouisvilleGrubber » March 14th, 2018, 9:26 am

Okay, it's a couple weeks of cold weather and snow later and I've done nothing! The yard is ready for a mow aside from the snow on the ground. I don't have weeknights available so weekends are my only option and they aren't cooperating.Anyone else in the same boat?

Casutherland
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

Post by Casutherland » March 14th, 2018, 10:10 am

LouisvilleGrubber wrote:
March 14th, 2018, 9:26 am
Okay, it's a couple weeks of cold weather and snow later and I've done nothing! The yard is ready for a mow aside from the snow on the ground. I don't have weeknights available so weekends are my only option and they aren't cooperating.Anyone else in the same boat?
Yes, we have had similar weather in Nashville lately. I think it has rained every weekend for the past 4-5 weeks...Then we got snow earlier this week and back to the 60-70s and rain this weekend lol.

STL

Post by STL » March 20th, 2018, 9:42 am

My lawn is almost all greened up. By far the greenest lawn in the neighborhood, most of which are still pretty brown. Looks like I ended up hitting that winterizing window after all. The TTTF is growing more than the KBG at this point and it's going to need a haircut this weekend.

LouisvilleGrubber

Post by LouisvilleGrubber » March 20th, 2018, 10:16 am

I got my first mow in on Saturday and dropped the Prodamine. Snow tonight. I noticed mowing I already had a few dandelions popping up. The creeping charlie is also starting to bloom. (I've really knocked that back there isn't much of it - some spot spraying may finish it off) Other parts of the yard are still sleeping. It's winter and spring all at the same time!

Too late on the Pre-M? The Forsythia just went into full bloom about a week ago. Regardless, It's the earliest I could get to it. We shall see. It'll get the crab grass I guess.

snowmanaxp
Grass Type: TTTF/KBG mix

Post by snowmanaxp » March 20th, 2018, 1:13 pm

I did a fall high nitrogen regime on my tttf/bluegrass mix.
My lawn was mostly dark green the first week in February. There were some small areas that were a bit lighter, but overall it was very green.
Compared to my neighbors yards it was night and day.

Then the weather warmed up and all the tttf lawns greened up. Not up to my lawn, but they looked much nicer. I was pissed. I was hoping to have several more weeks to show up the neighbors.

I'll be feeding the lawn for the first time next week.

This is March 3rd after the first mowing.

UrbyTuesday
Grass Type: Tall Fescue and Weed mix

Post by UrbyTuesday » March 21st, 2018, 6:11 am

Looks nice Snomanaxp! That's gonna be looking fantastic in a few weeks!

Here in Charlotte, it's full on growth season...at least at my house. Put down Prodiamine a few weeks ago so we'll see how well that works. I'm already needing to mow nearly twice a week! My "hybrid fall regimen" seemed to work well. I do have some orchard grass (I THINK) and winter wheat that I am working to get rid of but at this point the lawn is a lot better than it's been in the past.