Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
LouisvilleGrubber
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: How 'bout it Transition zone?

Post by LouisvilleGrubber » March 13th, 2017, 11:48 am

Follow up and resolution:

I got the Toro TimeMaster back from the shop this weekend (second time I had to replace one of the spindles and some other related parts. ($180. :shock: The first time was covered under warranty.).

Anyway, I didn't delay. Out of the SUV and straight onto the lawn after only a 10 week break this year. I could have easily mowed three weeks ago if the mower wasn't still in the shop. In spots the grass was 6 in tall, in other shady areas it was still dormant.

Overall, the lawn looks amazing. Thick, green and lush. The nitrogen is definitely doing it's job. Looks like early January was the right call. When I started this thread I was seriously considering calling the N off again, but I am really glad I stuck to it. Even though the lawn was probably still growing slowly when I made the final application it worked out great. It's almost comically green, especially next to all the neighbors' lawns. I may start adding some Milo just to keep it fed and the roots growing (?).

The yard is basically weed free, although there are scattered areas of those weeds with the seeds that "explode" from the stalk when you hit them. Those disappear mid-spring if memory serves me and there isn't much I can do other than enjoy the shower of seeds.

I get damn good advice from this forum, but I think those of us in the transition zone need to be aware that the majority of the "cool seasoners" that frequent the forum may experience different timing and conditions than we do. I know we have all been somewhat aware of this, but after a few years of trial and error I have learned that everything seems to be 3-4 weeks off from the Northerners, at least down here in Kentucky.

LouisvilleGrubber

Post by LouisvilleGrubber » March 19th, 2017, 10:24 am

Second mow of the season yesterday. After temps not really climbing out of the 30s I thought I might just be trimming a little off the top. Ended up having to raise the deck to 3in and still cut way too much off. Time to start two-a-weeks. Getting a lot of compliments and questions. No one else has mowed yet.

STL

Post by STL » April 3rd, 2017, 12:34 am

My grass is just about fully awake in St. Louis. The slower parts of last fall's reno are almost as high as the rest. Put down about 10lbs/k cracked corn to see how long it takes to break down and to see how many critters are drawn in. Plan is to bump that up a bit in the coming weeks. Sticking to my plan of not doing too much that could push top growth. I'm going to start serenade apps soon and maybe sumagreen, especially the spots under my maple that look a bit rough. Enjoying the spring, but anxious to see how the lawn fares once the heat and humidity sets in.

Zareth
Grass Type: Renovating to Midnight KBG and LS1200 Tall fescue

Post by Zareth » April 19th, 2017, 11:28 am

Grass is trucking a long, no signs of any of the obvious diseases at the moment although I suspect brown patch could be brewing just waiting for the perfect time to strike..
The KBG is putting out lots of runners as I'm seeing bare spots pop up with new grass and it's creeping Into the mulch beds as well.

STL

Post by STL » April 19th, 2017, 7:41 pm

Zareth wrote:
April 19th, 2017, 11:28 am
Grass is trucking a long, no signs of any of the obvious diseases at the moment although I suspect brown patch could be brewing just waiting for the perfect time to strike..
The KBG is putting out lots of runners as I'm seeing bare spots pop up with new grass and it's creeping Into the mulch beds as well.

Looks great, Zareth! What kind of trees are those out of curiosity?

Zareth

Post by Zareth » May 20th, 2017, 2:28 am

STL wrote:
April 19th, 2017, 7:41 pm
Zareth wrote:
April 19th, 2017, 11:28 am

Looks great, Zareth! What kind of trees are those out of curiosity?
Far left is a Chinese Elm I had as a bonsai when I lived in an apartment and planted when I first moved in - amazing and beautiful tree put on about 6 ft a year since I planted it, took a little trimming to get it to look like a tree after being a bonsai and you can still see the trunk has a major twist in it which was my intention as a bonsai, now it just adds character I suppose - and then on the right side is a Thundercloud purple plum which happens to be sitting right in front of some sort of Silver/Red Maple hybrid

HIGHLY recommend Chinese elm as a shade tree - deep and thick roots, not fibrous at all and doesn't suck the turf dry like my maple does.

LouisvilleGrubber

Post by LouisvilleGrubber » September 26th, 2017, 9:21 am

What's everyone's plan this year?

I'm getting ready to drop seed in front of some rain and cooler temps that are on the way (it's been in the 90s). Seems late, but if I'd had germination earlier I think I's have a lot of dead seedlings. I have a new outdoor kitchen and patio that required some sod that didn't take too well in the middle of the summer (surprise! But it's better that mud and dirt). Hoping to get that thickened up. Also had some Nimblewill come back again. Hit those patches with RU this weekend (earlier apps of Tenacity got most of the NW that was mixed in with the turf - although I'm starting to suspect a full kill will be in order one of these years to completely solve the problem).

I also plan on core-aerating this year. Yup. I have a hill where certain areas dry up and die every year. I'm going to take my chances on weeds. They're better than the big dead patches. We will see if that solves the problem.

Transtition Zoners have you dropped your seed? If you're not seeding have you started your Nitrogen?

redcoat
Grass Type: Tall Fescue blend (Triple Threat)

Post by redcoat » September 26th, 2017, 12:13 pm

Heavy overseed went down 9 days ago. Been hot, but thankfully I have irrigation. But trying to avoid fungus.

This should be easy!! :D

smast16
Grass Type: Front: TTTF & KBG Back: Salad Bar

Post by smast16 » September 26th, 2017, 1:08 pm

No Seed this year on the main portion. Pre-M down last month, and was about to start up the nitrogen when this heat wave struck. Temps are supposed to drop Friday for me, so i'll probably throw-er down this weekend.

Owlnsr
Grass Type: Northern mix

Post by Owlnsr » September 26th, 2017, 8:08 pm

I dropped TTTF seed in the last week of August for my overseeding. Went a little too aggressive with the seed prep (was trying out my new dethatcher toy) and may have killed most of the existing TTTF (oops). The new seed started off great but then .. 3 weeks with no rain and an oddly hot September, including a week of 90 degree temps for the last week. My lawn is such a wreck right now lol.

LouisvilleGrubber

Post by LouisvilleGrubber » September 26th, 2017, 8:22 pm

Yup. August is too soon in the near south. Esp if you don't have an irrigation system.

RockinMyLawn
Grass Type: Fescue

Post by RockinMyLawn » September 27th, 2017, 2:49 pm

Dropped my TTTF seeds on Labor Day weekend.

I didn't get to cut it as low as I wanted 3" vs. 2.0" , so with the everyday 4x watering & Milo drop, the 'veteran' grass kinda of got the jump on the youngins.

This weekend will be the first mow after 4 weeks.
Looking like a double cut weekend.

But the lawn sure looks lush & green vs. all my neighbors' chem lawns ! :)

weigojmi
Grass Type: TTTF...with way too much Bermuda!

Post by weigojmi » September 29th, 2017, 10:37 am

I threw down on 9/22 but just some bare spots and a bigger area around my back patio that the dog nukes every year. Honestly, I may find myself in the warm season forum soon. I have no irrigation and my yard is at least 50% bermuda now so may start working that angle. Both my direct neighbors have more than I have so its really inevitable.

PW405
Grass Type: Primary: TTTF (blend), KBG. Bermuda (hellstrip)
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Experienced

Post by PW405 » September 29th, 2017, 4:10 pm

I dropped fescue seed on 9/18... which was perhaps a bit too early, as temps go up to 94° once! Still, the Rachio makes adjusting irrigation so easy that I got pretty decent germination. Sprayed some propicozonale a few days before, and given the insane heat wave, glad I did.

I'm struggling with the same question... when to stop N? Last winter was so warm that my fescue never really stopped growing... maybe for a week period when we had single digit temps, then it came roaring back. I'm going to drop some Milo + micronutrients per my soil test in about 7-10 days, then start fall N regimen about a week after. When to stop the urea is the real question...

They say that the "law of averages" always wins when it comes to weather. I'll be shocked if this winter is as warm as the last. In fact, according to my calculations (::blindy bangs on calculator::), we are long overdue for a brutal winter in my neck of the woods.

Zareth

Post by Zareth » September 29th, 2017, 5:23 pm

It's so hot. Lots of my friends overseed didn't take very well even with water every 4 hours.
I hate living here.
My grass is struggling.
Bare spots.
Gonna have to move north.

seiyafan
Grass Type: Bewitched mono and TTTF/KBG mix

Post by seiyafan » September 29th, 2017, 8:22 pm

Zareth wrote:
September 29th, 2017, 5:23 pm
It's so hot. Lots of my friends overseed didn't take very well even with water every 4 hours.
I hate living here.
My grass is struggling.
Bare spots.
Buy yourself a 2-stage snowblower and NY welcomes you. :D

RockinMyLawn
Grass Type: Fescue

Post by RockinMyLawn » September 30th, 2017, 2:08 pm

Zareth wrote:
I hate living here.
My grass is struggling.
Bare spots.
The Old Dominion will welcome you with open arms!
Esp. RVA! :hello:

Zareth

Post by Zareth » September 30th, 2017, 6:32 pm

RockinMyLawn wrote:
September 30th, 2017, 2:08 pm
Zareth wrote:
I hate living here.
My grass is struggling.
Bare spots.
The Old Dominion will welcome you with open arms!
Esp. RVA! :hello:
seiyafan wrote:
September 29th, 2017, 8:22 pm
Zareth wrote:
I hate living here.
My grass is struggling.
Bare spots.
Buy yourself a 2-stage snowblower and NY welcomes you. :D

Thank you guys, glad to know I'll be welcome!
I grew up in Jackson Hole, Wyoming.. so snow is not new to me. They said I'd adapt to the heat... they were wrong.

LouisvilleGrubber

Post by LouisvilleGrubber » October 27th, 2017, 3:51 pm

My over seed came in well this year. I have one big mud flat I just got to seed last week as contractors had been trampling the area. It's been descent germination weather this week though and I'm already seeing some green. The weather finally broke from the 80s a couple of weeks ago and we are getting some flurries tonight.

I've made two N applications. One was along with some P and K 20-20-20. The was Milo. I wanted to get some iron in for our Halloween party. I'm going to hit it with urea this weekend and possibly next. If the 10 day looks warm I'll give it that second dose. If not I'll let her start falling asleep. BTW, our average first frost is around 10/20ish, but it is not unusual to see mid-to upper 80s up until that time, making N a little tricky - which I guess was the premise of this thread when I started in last year,

How is everyone else doing?

smast16
Grass Type: Front: TTTF & KBG Back: Salad Bar

Post by smast16 » October 27th, 2017, 11:04 pm

Calling for 31 - 33 Sunday night for me. I measured my soil temps out of curiosity, and i'm reading 63 in the sunny areas and 58 in the shady, so i'll call it 60. I'm going to basically ignore this frost / freeze. It's going to be back in the 60's and 70's by the end of the week. This is a tad early for me regarding first frost, but not terribly early. I'm choosing to ignore it since i usually see slow down till around Thanksgiving, and i don't see stoppage till Christmas or slightly after new years for warmer years.

So, given the warm soil temps and history for my area, i'm going to just treat this frost / freeze as an anomaly. I don't believe it'll have much impact for me. If i was farther north, not in the transition zone, this would be the end...but it's not. lol