2017: What did you do on your lawn today?

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
Oldschool
Grass Type: Kentucky Bluegrass
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

Re: 2017: What did you do on your lawn today?

Post by Oldschool » October 31st, 2017, 6:55 pm

Mulched in the leaves. Applied winterizer urea. 8 inches of snow due the next 4 days. Serviced all the lawn equipment and put it away till next season. See you in April!

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » October 31st, 2017, 9:00 pm

Another normal Halloween in Buffalo. Warned team members (from all over the country) for the past three months that Lake Effect Season can start anytime from Halloween on forward. It snowed here today - guess what percentage of the team was appropriately dressed, ready, etc?

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by Green » October 31st, 2017, 10:45 pm

Watered seed, threw down some more Fiesta 4 PR seed on the side that's still lagging. Starting to get germination in the low-input area, as well as the very beginning of recovery of Summer dormant grass (finally). I did not mow today, as I refuse to mow right before a frost, if I can avoid it (due to burn blade tips that discolor). It might hit 32 tonight...pretty much the first real frost. I covered sensitive plants as well as my sod tray (since I'm still pushing some Nitrogen on the grass in the tray). Empty 50-lb Milorganite bags make good covers for that.

No Halloween domination for me...I went for the natural look, with the leaves on the lawn.

ronfitch
Grass Type: original: I don't know; overseed: Kentucky Bluegrass
Lawn Size: 5000-10000

Post by ronfitch » November 1st, 2017, 12:55 pm

JohnP wrote:
October 29th, 2017, 6:02 pm
Yesterday mulch mowed. Didn’t take much off but did chop a lot of leaves. Went a different direction, the slight striping that has been showing up thanks to the lawn thickening up didn’t show so well. Wasn’t the goal of this mow, but did have a random neighbor stop me to compliment how much nicer the lawn looks. That felt nice.

Woke up to our first frost (had a freeze warning). Continued planting bulbs today with the wife. Now it’s raining. Got up to 51.

Feb 2015 when it was on the market

Yesterday after three months of caring for it

Nice ... very nice, John. A big turn-around in two years.

Powhatan

Post by Powhatan » November 1st, 2017, 10:50 pm

As advertised on the bag, the Scotts Moss Control treatment I put down this past Saturday is having an effect on the moss by turning it black.

I thought the moss was generally isolated to low uneven areas in yard, but is also in the higher elevated spots. All are thin areas, the soil is damp and cool to the touch. I'm sure the soil pH isn't ideal yet, as well as, generally compacted with low organic matter. There's even some rust on the grass blades.

Soil conditioning improvements to continue ... I've got my 2018 monthly task list ready to go. :read:

Green

Post by Green » November 2nd, 2017, 6:55 pm

Mowed front. Still battling Triv. Neighbor was like, "You still have some of that yellow grass?!" I explained that it's really hard to get rid of because it goes dormant in the hot weather. He was like, "So, how come that other yard a few houses down doesn't have any?" I was like, "That yard actually does have a few spots starting, but it's a relatively new lawn less than 10 years ago".

Jackpine
Grass Type: N.W. Mi. KBG blend
Lawn Size: 3000-5000

Post by Jackpine » November 4th, 2017, 6:04 am

Finally dried out enough that I was able to take care of leaves yesterday. Crazy amount of rain the last two weeks of October has caused local lakes to rise well above typical spring runoff levels.

First snow on the ground this morning too. Should get another chance at leaves again next week with a couple decent days forecast.

Jackpine

Post by Jackpine » November 4th, 2017, 6:16 am

Not grass related but have switched over to winter tires in anticipation of a heavy 2017/2018 winter snow season. Will see if my gut instincts are right. LOL.

mitten
Grass Type: Midnight, Diva, Everglade KBG, plus Fiesta4 PR and Zodiac Fescue

Post by mitten » November 4th, 2017, 8:28 am

Dropped the Toro SR deck to level D and mulched in the leaves. The maples haven't dropped yet.

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » November 4th, 2017, 11:41 am

Blew out the irrigation system. Game over.

PSU4ME
Grass Type: Front: Bewitched/Midnight/Everglade Back: Midnight/Diva/Everest
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre

Post by PSU4ME » November 4th, 2017, 7:49 pm

Blew my irrigation out today as well, only took 25 min so I’ll likely fire it up to water in winterizer and then blow it out again.

Green

Post by Green » November 4th, 2017, 10:52 pm

Mowed back and side at 3.75 in. Double mowed lower side overseed at 3.25 in to mulch leaves. Mowed side front at 3.25 in, and hellstrips at 3.75 in. Non overseeded parts of main front at 3.25. Finally took front of main front down to 3.25. Tried the mowrr deck tilted. Actually sprayed Tenacity. 4 oz rate on side front overseed. Approx. 3oz rate on main front overseed. Got rid of leftover PGR that smelled bad, on hellstrips and edges. Hopefully doesn't kill the grass. Sprayed Propiconazole mixed with very, very low rate of Miracle Gro and NIS on sod tray and damaged patch on upper back.

Powhatan

Post by Powhatan » November 5th, 2017, 12:07 pm

Mulched mowed grass and leaves @ 3.25". Moles aerating the yard, so I thanked them by doing the tunnel stomp. Lots of leaves starting to change color ... watching for the first frost to put down the end of year fertilizer app.

Summer to Fall change:

July - no rain, hot, & humid - yuck

November - much better

UrbyTuesday
Grass Type: Tall Fescue and Weed mix
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by UrbyTuesday » November 6th, 2017, 1:42 pm

Came home Friday to the lawn guys (relegated to leaf cleanup only in front yard) with a huge tarp with rolled up leaves from my white oaks that they'd blown out of the beds and from under the trees.

Imagine their surprise when I asked them to unfurl the tarp and spread the leaves across the part of my that desperately needs more organic matter.

My wife got ticked because I dirtied up her lawn with leaves they'd just blown. She left to pick up a kid.

I came out with my old Craftsman with mulching blade and in short order made a whole lot of leaves disappear! :aikido:

Lawn guys were confused and amused - but intrigued. They were watching intently waiting for the rest of their crew.

Wife came home and asked me where the leaves went.

I told her, "They're still out there!" She rolled her eyes.

Marinegrunt
Grass Type: TTTF + 10% KBG

Post by Marinegrunt » November 6th, 2017, 2:59 pm

Powhatan wrote:
November 5th, 2017, 12:07 pm
Mulched mowed grass and leaves @ 3.25". Moles aerating the yard, so I thanked them by doing the tunnel stomp. Lots of leaves starting to change color ... watching for the first frost to put down the end of year fertilizer app.

Summer to Fall change:

July - no rain, hot, & humid - yuck

November - much better
I believe the last fertilizer or nitrogen app is suppose to be when top growth stops. The average first frost date is when to stop your regular fall urea feedings. That's what Andy refers to as "The Pause". After top growth stops which, could be a 3 to 4 weeks after the average first frost, you then add the final nitrogen app. After top growth stops there's a 2 to 3 week period where grass focuses energy on the roots.

I apologize if you already had planned on doing something else. Just thought I'd mention it just in case. Applying nitrogen too late can cause some issues. Be sure to read through the Fall Nitrogen Regime. It took me a few times of reading it to completely understand it.

ronfitch
Grass Type: original: I don't know; overseed: Kentucky Bluegrass
Lawn Size: 5000-10000

Post by ronfitch » November 6th, 2017, 6:03 pm

Yesterday, found a few hour window in which to mulch-mow (first chance to mow in two weeks, with rain/snowy stuff/dark nights). Took down Halloween stuff, brought in patio and porch cushions and outdoor speakers, drained/rolled/brought in hoses, stacked the chairs and whatnot for tarping, had a beer.

Still need to drop UREA, but checking past records, that could still be a week away. Plan to mow again this weekend to see.

JohnP
Grass Type: KBG Mix
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by JohnP » November 6th, 2017, 8:25 pm

Only had time to mulch mow the front. Didn't look like much got cut (if anything). Might be getting close....

Green

Post by Green » November 6th, 2017, 10:06 pm

Mid 60s today. Some drizzle for part of the day, but no major rain. Checked all 32 sprinkler heads and changed nozzles in spray heads in preparation for blow-out tomorrow.

Jackpine

Post by Jackpine » November 7th, 2017, 3:23 pm

Mulched leaves... top growth about done.

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » November 7th, 2017, 11:09 pm

I'm depressed - it's snowing here. My place in Key Largo is wrecked by Irma. Do I have to live with this white stuff coming down?