2017: What did you do on your lawn today?

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Re: 2017: What did you do on your lawn today?

Post by Green » November 8th, 2017, 2:22 am

Yesterday: Sprinklers were blown out. Neighbors had fertilizer applied (How bad is that! It's the pause!)

Mowed and mulched at 3.25 in in front, and as much of low-input area as possible (3.75 in).

lVlrBoJang1es
Grass Type: KBG
Level: Some Experience

Post by lVlrBoJang1es » November 8th, 2017, 8:58 am

We got our first frost overnight despite our average first frost date being just under a month ago.

Mulch mowed last night into the dark - i love the time change for my work schedule which has me waking up at 4:30 AM every day, but it's now getting dark before i get home from the gym after work...

I noticed this morning as i was backing out of my drive and my headlights waived across the law; the frost has knocked a full blanket of leaves over the entire lawn overnight. Looks like i'll be mowing again tonight. Perfect time to drop the HOC down another notch i guess!

Slight top growth still happening although it's definitely slowed significantly.

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » November 8th, 2017, 10:20 am

Mowed. Took off a lot of top growth.

Green

Post by Green » November 8th, 2017, 7:33 pm

"Spot" sprayed (actually, more like "blob" sprayed) Tenacity on Triv patches in front at about 6oz/A rate using a gallon of solution. I ran out of surfactant while making the second half gallon of solution. Hopefully it was enough. I'm trying to keep the remaining Triv patches from spreading on the overseed. Triv loves this time of year, and will spread really fast if you let it! I will continue this spot spraying as needed until Winter.

Covered my sod tray because it's going down to 29 tonight.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)

Post by andy10917 » November 8th, 2017, 7:39 pm

I have never seen Tenacity put a permanent stop to Triv. And I have tried enough cocktail formulas that I could open a bar. They all failed other than the one that killed everything - better than Roundup.

Green

Post by Green » November 8th, 2017, 7:44 pm

Andy, I get that you want to state that so we don't mislead people...but I had to do something...and Velocity is out of the question this time of year. I've never had luck with Tenacity in killing it either.

The good news was the Velocity reduced the amount of Triv drastically. The bad news is that it was a really labor intensive regimen with many applications, damaged the entire lawn, and required major overseeding. It was so interwoven. Now, it's just patches...but there are still enough patches left that it could blow up and spread again if I don't try to control it. I'm back to where I was a few years ago now.

Must...not....give...up.

Methodical
Grass Type: Northern mix
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by Methodical » November 8th, 2017, 8:35 pm

I mowed and plan to spray some weed killer to fight these Creeping Charlie weeds tomorrow.

Jackpine
Grass Type: N.W. Mi. KBG blend
Lawn Size: 3000-5000

Losing my leaves!

Post by Jackpine » November 9th, 2017, 4:08 pm

There goes my leaves! Snow on the ground and a blustery NW wind is blowing them off the Maples into the neighbors yard and down the street! :club:

Green

Post by Green » November 9th, 2017, 8:56 pm

Mowed tonight before the cold comes tomorrow. Mowed back and hell-strips at 3.75 in, and side including lower side overseed area, at 3.25 in (still with deck tilted). Any leaves that I bagged from underneath the neighbor's Maple tree in that area, I relocated to the low-input area and mulched in (3.75 in). But the mulching process wasn't fun on damp grass in the dark. Plus, I just realized last night that I have a cold, so hopefully the allergies don't act up on top of it after mowing.

Covered the sod tray. Will leave it covered until the cold weather is over.

JohnP
Grass Type: KBG Mix
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by JohnP » November 9th, 2017, 9:37 pm

Mulch mowed the front. The sharp swing in temps this week dropped a ton of leaves and then the winds today knocked more down. Last mowed the front Monday and still had some growth I trimmed off when mulching. Not much, but enough. Waiting patiently for Winterizer.

bauer time
Grass Type: TTTF/KBG mix
Lawn Size: 5000-10000

Post by bauer time » November 11th, 2017, 9:05 am

Lowered my HOC to 3" yesterday to mulch some leaves and bring it down from 3.5". I like to keep it at this length for the winter.

First frost last night, it got too cold too fast!

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)

Post by andy10917 » November 11th, 2017, 11:04 am

It happens many years - a warm early Fall leads people to think that the entire Fall will be delayed and warm. And then Winter hits hard suddenly and we get "I thought it would be different". Always bet on things to return to the average and "normal" over time.

Powhatan

Post by Powhatan » November 11th, 2017, 5:42 pm

Used the back side of leaf rake to move leaves from gravel driveway to yard. Mulch mowed @ 3.25" grass and leaves. Anticipate grass cutting for another month.

Put down last fertilizer app for the year. I calculate I put down 4.57 #N/k for the year (includes estimated .75 #N recycled grass clippings) Milorganite organic during Spring months and Scotts synthetic during Fall months.

Nov 2016 - House builder had put down contractors mix in September, appears to be mostly Annual Rye Grass.
Grass looked nice up until June when air temperatures started to climb, and soil moisture started to dry.

Now after October overseed ...

Nov 2017 - Tall Fescue and Perennial Rye Grass.

Green

Post by Green » November 11th, 2017, 6:04 pm

Very cold right now...the highs are the average highs for the middle of Winter...mid 30s, with below 20 at night. Other areas to the West have already gotten this cold. And similar to what Andy said above, this doesn't mean Winter is here to stay. Looking at my 10-day forecast, almost every day is 45-50.

Got about a half inch of rain the past 5 days...a little here, and a little there almost every day or every other day.

Powhatan

Post by Powhatan » November 11th, 2017, 6:22 pm

Nov 2017 - The front yard still has a long way to go, it's been slower to fill in.

Green

Post by Green » November 11th, 2017, 9:54 pm

Btw, Zoysia lawns in the area are almost totally brown/dormant now. Not sure if the bit of green remaining is Zoysia that hasn't gone dormant yet, or other grasses/weeds missed in.

Green

Post by Green » November 11th, 2017, 9:59 pm

Powhatan wrote:
November 11th, 2017, 5:42 pm
Put down last fertilizer app for the year. I calculate I put down 4.57 #N/k for the year (includes estimated .75 #N recycled grass clippings) Milorganite organic during Spring months and Scotts synthetic during Fall months.
You can still do the final winterizer app after growth stops, if you'd like. Am I missing something?

Powhatan

Post by Powhatan » November 12th, 2017, 11:11 am

Green wrote:
November 11th, 2017, 9:59 pm
You can still do the final winterizer app after growth stops, if you'd like. Am I missing something?
For my lawn maintenance program, I’m done putting fertilizer down for the year. This is year one with the new lawn. Once the lawn overall fills in, I’ll probably adjust my program. Thanks for the support. :good:

mitten
Grass Type: Midnight, Diva, Everglade KBG, plus Fiesta4 PR and Zodiac Fescue
Lawn Size: 3000-5000

Post by mitten » November 12th, 2017, 4:47 pm

Cut off some top growth and mulched in a heavy layer of Norway Maple leaves. Free fertilizer! (While everyone else on the street is bring them to the curb for removal).

Freeze proofed things. Packed up all the yard chemicals in the shed and relocated them to the basement for winter storage. Unhooked the hoses.

Green

Post by Green » November 12th, 2017, 7:13 pm

Uncovered the sod tray finally, and put it in the sun for an hour, then covered it up again for the night. It had been covered for like 60 hours due to extreme cold weather. The grass in it looks good.

Finished hand-trimming along the main front, and I have a perfect edge now! It was getting pretty overgrown.

Planted Tall Fescue plugs (yes, Tall Fescue plugs, you heard right) in bare spots caused by Summer drought in the far end of the low-input area. They will fill out in the Spring, and hopefully not die off during drought like the other grass types always have. A couple of other Tall Fescue bunches in that area have done fine for several years now, so it should work well. Picked up sticks in that area.

Swept and picked up sticks and leaves from the road across the front. Filled a whole leaf bag.