2017: What did you do on your lawn today?

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
JohnP
Grass Type: KBG Mix
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: 2017: What did you do on your lawn today?

Post by JohnP » October 3rd, 2017, 6:51 am

seiyafan wrote:
October 2nd, 2017, 10:28 pm
Try Honda mower for the first time today, it's my first time using a self propelled mower and I've got a question, when I reach the end of the lawn should I release the clutch when making a U turn or keep it on?
I let off the SP in that situation because I don't want to chance ripping out any of my thin grass. I have plastic wheels on my Ego though. I don't know if real wheels would be different.

Marinegrunt
Grass Type: TTTF + 10% KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Post by Marinegrunt » October 3rd, 2017, 7:59 am

Although I have never used the Honda self propelled I have had a few others. I always let off the clutch when turning to make another pass. If you don't there's a good chance that inside wheel is going to tear the grass up. If the turn radius is big enough you could probably keep it engaged. You'll get the hang of what works best for you the more you use it.

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » October 3rd, 2017, 8:46 am

urea and more importantly right now - WATER. It's SO DRY. Never seen lawns this brown in October.

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity
Level: Experienced

Post by ken-n-nancy » October 3rd, 2017, 11:01 am

JohnP wrote:
October 2nd, 2017, 10:25 pm
Finally made it to our local Site One. ... Not cool was the $115 price tag on 8oz Tenacity.
Ouch! You probably already know this, but there are plenty of online suppliers selling that package of Tenacity for around $65 shipped.

RichS
Grass Type: TTTF/Rye

Post by RichS » October 3rd, 2017, 3:40 pm

JohnP wrote:
October 1st, 2017, 8:31 pm
Rich ads you using a drop spreader on that line or just have your broadcast down that well? Looks good!
Scott's broadcast but with an edge guard. I may use it to go over the property borders an extra time or two ;)

RichS
Grass Type: TTTF/Rye

Post by RichS » October 3rd, 2017, 3:45 pm

seiyafan wrote:
October 2nd, 2017, 10:28 pm
Try Honda mower for the first time today, it's my first time using a self propelled mower and I've got a question, when I reach the end of the lawn should I release the clutch when making a U turn or keep it on?
It depends on how you're cutting. I sometimes do spirals, reversing once or twice, so I can keep it going for a 90 degree turn. But side to side or front to back, I always release it. In fact, I usually have to back up a bit to go back the other way. I think trying to pull backwards while the wheels are being powered forward would rip things up.

Unless you have enough space to make a gradual turn without slowing, I'd recommend releasing it.

JohnP

Post by JohnP » October 3rd, 2017, 7:40 pm

ken-n-nancy wrote:
October 3rd, 2017, 11:01 am
JohnP wrote:
October 2nd, 2017, 10:25 pm
Finally made it to our local Site One. ... Not cool was the $115 price tag on 8oz Tenacity.
Ouch! You probably already know this, but there are plenty of online suppliers selling that package of Tenacity for around $65 shipped.
Yeah, I passed on it. I already have plenty that I bought from Amazon. I didn't rub the Amazon price in their face, I went in as Joe Homeowner and not Joe Golf Course.

Today I put down MAP and SOP after cutting the front at 4". Started to rain so I pulled the rip cord. Will have to do the back tomorrow.

I'm debating whether to have it at 3" over winter or 4". Our lawn in the past has been thoroughly abused and neglected some by me, some by previous owner.

This year it's been mowed more often and at 3". Not to mention this last month it's been watered regularly and the last couple weeks it's been fed. I'm sure the roots are shallow and other than the deep infrequent and tall HOC I don't know what else to do.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)

Post by Green » October 3rd, 2017, 8:57 pm

Watered overseed areas. Mowed parts of front. 50/50 fert app with synthetic and 6-2-0 Milo on non-overseeded parts of main front. Will water tomorrow.

Sprayed Propiconazole at low rate with a dash of NIS (4oz of Bayer over 1.1-1.2 on upper back and tiny part of side front) as part 2 of split app for rust. Note: there are pros and cons to using a surfactant or not, and the science is out about whether it helps or hinders resistance management, so I hedged my bets and used just a little. Blew the area off first to get rid of leaves and any frogs in the lawn (of which there were several hiding).

Blanket sprayed Tenacity with NIS at approx. 4oz rate on lower back after hand-watering the section along the right side of the patio, which was getting a bit drought stressed (very little rain for almost a month, and the sprinklers don't cover that area well).

Green

Post by Green » October 3rd, 2017, 10:14 pm

JohnP wrote:
October 3rd, 2017, 7:40 pm
I'm debating whether to have it at 3" over winter or 4". Our lawn in the past has been thoroughly abused and neglected some by me, some by previous owner.
I can't think of any good reason to leave it that long over Winter. Even 3 inches is a bit high for Winter, imho. I always go below 3 inches. Less surface area for snow mold.

JohnP

Post by JohnP » October 3rd, 2017, 10:19 pm

Green wrote:
October 3rd, 2017, 10:14 pm
JohnP wrote:
October 3rd, 2017, 7:40 pm
I can't think of any good reason to leave it that long over Winter. Even 3 inches is a bit high for Winter, imho. I always go below 3 inches. Less surface area for snow mold.
My Ego only adjusts in increments of 1" so if not 3" I'd go down to 2".

Green

Post by Green » October 3rd, 2017, 10:38 pm

JohnP wrote:
October 3rd, 2017, 10:19 pm
Oh no! And 2" might scalp the lawn, I am guessing?

JohnP

Post by JohnP » October 3rd, 2017, 11:19 pm

Green wrote:
October 3rd, 2017, 10:38 pm
JohnP wrote:
October 3rd, 2017, 10:19 pm
Oh no! And 2" might scalp the lawn, I am guessing?
I don't know if it would or not, it's still fairly thin and I'm still pretty new to being smart with my lawn, have a ways to go though. It looks healthier than it ever has. Raining currently but can nab a picture tomorrow. I should pry make a thread and not hijack this so much.

Jennings44
Grass Type: Fescue

Post by Jennings44 » October 4th, 2017, 9:37 am

Gave the lawn a cut yesterday and threw down 4 bags of Milorganite. My wife wasn't impressed

jfoege
Grass Type: Northern Mix

Post by jfoege » October 4th, 2017, 11:19 am

Jennings44 wrote:
October 4th, 2017, 9:37 am
Gave the lawn a cut yesterday and threw down 4 bags of Milorganite. My wife wasn't impressed
Are they ever? :rotfl:

Jackpine
Grass Type: N.W. Mi. KBG blend
Lawn Size: 3000-5000

Post by Jackpine » October 4th, 2017, 3:41 pm

Last evening put down 1/2# N from 21-0-0 and received .4" rain this morning. Lawn is growing like crazy and finally got fed up with trying to keep it at 2-1/4" so raised it back up to 3" and there it will stay.

Not sure about getting an extended fall this year, but so far well above normal.

Chris LI
Grass Type: KBG/NoMix, TTTF/KBG, KBG/FF

Post by Chris LI » October 4th, 2017, 5:51 pm

Jennings44 wrote:
October 4th, 2017, 9:37 am
Nice! 4 bags over how many square feet? Milo doesn't bother my wife too much, but the fish emulsion fertilizer I've used in the past drove her nuts! I tried some Bio Nutrients, Bio Pak 8-0-9 this year which had some fish component and heard about it for a day or two.

JohnP

Post by JohnP » October 4th, 2017, 7:28 pm

Mowed again because we have rain in the forecast from 2PM tomorrow until Saturday afternoon. Almost 2" worth. Did some Serenade and SOP on the back. Did a half strength Tenacity treatment as well. Serenade on front and roses.

Returned the Ego trimmer I bought, thought it was the one that had changeable heads. Ordered the proper one online. Might get to use it once or twice this season by the time it comes.

Need to get MAP, SOP and Lime into some Homer buckets with lids.

Cleaned gutters the other day and ordered some Christmas lights to test. Planning that now so when Thanksgiving comes I can hang some lights for the first time in this house.

Riverpilot
Grass Type: Northern Mix

Post by Riverpilot » October 4th, 2017, 8:00 pm

Back after real life... mom had open heart surgery. Happened 3 1/2 weeks ago. She's doing great though! :)

Happened right at the end of an overseed of my lawn. It worked out in the end I think. :)
Mowed today before we're "supposed" to get rain starting tonight.

Green

Post by Green » October 4th, 2017, 8:20 pm

HoosierLawnGnome wrote:
October 3rd, 2017, 8:46 am
urea and more importantly right now - WATER. It's SO DRY. Never seen lawns this brown in October.
I have unfortunately seen it happen in the last year or two as well as this year. We have had drought here at this time of year before in the recent past as well as now.
-------------------------------

Cut main front overseed area again...growing really fast now.

Fertilizer: Put down 50/50 mix on non-overseeded parts of side front this evening. Watering scheduled for tomorrow morning...about a half inch. Put down 0.5 lb/K of N from 6-2-0 Milo on main front overseed area and lower side overseed area. Put down 0.25 lb/K of N from 6-2-0 Milo on whole upper back/rust-impacted area.

Sprayed Hydretain on lowest portion of closest part of low-input area. Very hard to grow grass in that area, let alone with drought and barely any supplemental irrigation. Hardly any grass left in that area.

Watered overseed areas. Watered rest of main front. Also did some light watering/syringing. Watered several small parts of low-input area.

DevilDawg81
Grass Type: KBG, PRG, Fescue mix
Lawn Size: 2 acre-5 acre

Post by DevilDawg81 » October 4th, 2017, 9:28 pm

Applied urea to the yard, following my soul remediation plan. It's supposed to rain tomorrow so I'm hoping the weatherman is right otherwise I'll be spending the afternoon getting it watered in.