2017: What did you do on your lawn today?

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
Powhatan

Re: 2017: What did you do on your lawn today?

Post by Powhatan » October 13th, 2017, 10:15 pm

This past week we've had generous about of daily rain.

Overseed day 13 TTTF/PRG new growth 2"+, put down .72#N/K bag rate starter fertilizer to help the youngins establish in the sandy clay loam "Pamunkey Soil".

DevilDawg81
Grass Type: KBG, PRG, Fescue mix
Lawn Size: 2 acre-5 acre
Level: Some Experience

Post by DevilDawg81 » October 14th, 2017, 7:53 am

Applied Serenade to test area reno

DevilDawg81

Post by DevilDawg81 » October 14th, 2017, 5:42 pm

Mowed again, hand watered test area reno. Last weekend I lowered the HOC; that coupled with some good rain and an app of Milo, I've been mowing just about every other day.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by Green » October 14th, 2017, 8:57 pm

Got about 1-2 hundreths of an inch of rain early AM...just enough to wet the seed. Skipped watering today on most of front overseed areas as I very slowly begin reducing the frequency. Added a bit more Champion GQ TTPR seed on the upper side areas that still don't have sufficient germination. Sprayed Tenacity, mostly at 2-3oz rate, including on main front overseed area. Went over the already whitened patches with an extra spray, to get the 4oz rate. Also sprayed the garage side from the walkway to the back, at 3-4oz rate, and touch-up sprayed some areas in the lower back. Purchased a bit of bagged compost-based topsoil and 3 lbs of Barenbrug TTTF blend for some last-minute touch-up seeding in the low-input area.

Chris LI
Grass Type: KBG/NoMix, TTTF/KBG, KBG/FF
Lawn Size: 3000-5000

Post by Chris LI » October 14th, 2017, 10:04 pm

Applied .5 lbs of N from urea after light morning-afternoon rain. I'm watering it in now. The grass is beginning to perk up nicely now after the drought-like conditions in September.

71GTO
Grass Type: Northern mix

Post by 71GTO » October 15th, 2017, 6:06 pm

Dropped the HOC today and mowed the whole lawn including reseeded areas in the front yard for the first time. Then Moved to the back yard and filled in some holes from settling and hacked out tree roots along the surface from trees that where previously taken down and fill in the holes.

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » October 15th, 2017, 6:38 pm

Blsc this weekend, Blanket sprayed triclopyr then we had a good solid rain 8 hrs later. Things are looking the best they have this season.

Might get one more shot if urea in here. I'm ready to switch to hunting and finishing our home theater this winter!

Green

Post by Green » October 15th, 2017, 8:21 pm

Watered.

Mowed grandfather's lawn. Whoever mowed it the last time apparently scalped it at about an inch HOC when it was really hot and dry out (and the mower was still at that setting, too), so some areas haven't really grown out at all and are stunted, while other areas were probably well over a foot long. Did the best I could with what I had to work with. There's some noticeable general thinning, but nothing too terrible. There's also some Rust disease...bad enough in spots that it coated everything after mowing. So, I guess this is just a really bad year for rust in CT. On the positive side, the old garden area has filled in with good grass as well as some weedy stuff...so I guess the late Spring seeding was overall successful. You can't tell there wasn't lawn there about 6 months ago.

Noticed some people have Christmas lights up already.

Oldschool
Grass Type: Kentucky Bluegrass
Lawn Size: 1000-3000

Post by Oldschool » October 15th, 2017, 8:30 pm

Mowed...may have one more cut left for the season. Ready to drop winterizer.

seiyafan
Grass Type: Bewitched mono and TTTF/KBG mix
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by seiyafan » October 16th, 2017, 5:13 pm

32 is the low for tonight, lots of crabgrass will be looking very sad by tomorrow morning.

Powhatan

Post by Powhatan » October 16th, 2017, 6:11 pm

Transplanted five young native American holly trees from wooded area to front of house near the road side.

Green

Post by Green » October 16th, 2017, 7:01 pm

Raked up leaves, pine needles, etc., and trimmed junky plants in low-input area near borders, added a little bit of topsoil coating to one area, and started putting down seed even though it's late in the season. Experience tells me this strategy works better than dormant seeding 3 times out of 4. Seeded with TF (Barrington, Barvado, Bearcat), CRF (Garnet), and PR (Wicked). I was hesitant to go with Tall Fescue since it's not going to match the overall lawn in that area...but everything else has gotten killed by heat and dryness in the Summer and early Fall in that specific area, year after year almost every year (no irrigation). Also overseeded the Spring 2016 mini reno in that area that I accidentally killed a lot of with old Tenacity that had gone bad this past Summer.

Some it's going to go down into the high to mid 30s tonight and patchy frost is predicted for the first time this year, brought in or protected sensitive plants...including covering my sod tray just in case.

Even the grass in the sod tray is getting rust! I should probably hit it with Propiconazole before it kills everything.

JohnP
Grass Type: KBG Mix
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by JohnP » October 16th, 2017, 7:24 pm

Yesterday my neighbor spent an hour blowing and raking his leaves into his yard waste.

Today I blew some extra leaves up into the boulevard. Mulch mowed. Trimmed. Spread my last app of Urea (maybe shouldn't have. Tonight is average first frost...) until winterizer application.

The new mulching blade on the Ego is paying off. Works real well. Backyard is looking nice but seems I have a mole problem now that the ground is soft after all the rains in the last week. Jerks.

bauer time
Grass Type: TTTF/KBG mix
Lawn Size: 5000-10000

Post by bauer time » October 16th, 2017, 7:55 pm

Mowed and applied second feeding of the fall. Will be the last one until winterization.

Green

Post by Green » October 17th, 2017, 7:17 pm

I'm going crazy trying to squeeze everything in.

Changed blade on mower after sharpening. Mowed the side front overseed at 2.75 with the gas mower for the first time. Put down N (0.5 lb/K on upper back, then watered two hours to get about an inch and did the catch can thing again). Put down 0.5 lb/K on non-overseeded parts of main front, and about 0.33 lb/K (best guess) on overseeded part, going parallel to street.

Mowed other parts of side front, all at 3.75 in, because it grew a lot. Same with lower back, and part of low-input area.

Watered rest of main front for about 2 hours. Set zone 2 for a total of one hour for tomorrow AM, after putting down fertilizer there (about 0.65 lb/K N...first and last fertilizer for the side so far this Fall, because the failed side overseed messed up the timing).

Hand watered seed areas. Trying to wrap up the major fertilizing tomorrow, as it's the deadline.

Chris LI
Grass Type: KBG/NoMix, TTTF/KBG, KBG/FF
Lawn Size: 3000-5000

Post by Chris LI » October 17th, 2017, 9:02 pm

Mulch mowed front at 3" and back at 2.5". Urea is kicking in nicely in sunny areas, but not so much in the shady areas.

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » October 18th, 2017, 11:21 am

Put out 50 lbs of urea and watered in a few days ago. That's it for me until winterized.

Growth has slowed a decfent bit. Mowing at 2 in every 3 days now. Things have filled in well. I still have some weak spots from poor irrigation coverage and some grub damage. Most of the grub damage has filled in nicely.

I'm already planning for next year!!! I may still jump on a triplex or steiner deal.

DevilDawg81

Post by DevilDawg81 » October 18th, 2017, 8:55 pm

Mowed the lawn, bagged the test area reno. Watered the test area for about 30 minutes as it's been dry in my neighborhood. The cooler temps and Milo app I dropped a few days ago has the turf looking pretty good.

I'm making plans for 2018 as well, and even dreaming into 2019

Green

Post by Green » October 18th, 2017, 11:30 pm

Cut main front overseed area and lower side overseed. Dropped final 0.25 lb/K of N on the latter. Dropped 1/3-lb/K of N plus 0.5 lb/K from 5-2-0/4% Iron Milo on the lower back. That's 0.5 lb/K of fast release N. Dropped the same 1/3-lb/K of N from synthetic on the side front. Watered both zones for an hour each.

Hit a couple of weeds in the low-input area where I dropped seed the other day with Roundup...but then I had to wait 2 hours before I could water the seed. Should have watered first, then sprayed RU so the seed doesn't dry too much.

Dropped more seed on main front and side 2 days ago. Yesterday, neighbor across the street did Fall nitrogen, too.

Almost done with Nitrogen until the pause...just a few more small shots of N to go on some areas over the next two days...a dash of Milo on the main front overseed, side front overseed, and side front. Also Milo on the side, Milo with micros on the low-input area. 0.25 lb/K of synthetic N on main front overseed, and part of low-input...and that'll do it until the pause.

At grandfather's, raked up backyard corner, and dropped seed...mostly CRF, but also some PR seed so something at least grows soon. Used up the last of my 40-lb bale of hydroseeding mulch, watered, and set up oscillating sprinkler for 2x per day 7AM and 7PM, 12 hours apart, at 10 min.

Powhatan

Post by Powhatan » October 19th, 2017, 8:27 pm

Mowed overseed lawn to 4” and mulch mowed leaves.

Moles are tunneling the back yard. Not too bad, but they’re getting further into the middle of the yard.