2017: What did you do on your lawn today?

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
RichS
Grass Type: TTTF/Rye
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: 2017: What did you do on your lawn today?

Post by RichS » November 12th, 2017, 8:31 pm

Last big weekend of the year. I checked the length and it hadn't changed from early in the week (down to 11 degrees last night, soil temps to 40), so I'm comfortable top growth has stopped. So I sharpened the blades and gave on last cut for the year on Saturday. I also did final edging and trimming so everything looks good as it's locked in for the winter.

On Sunday, I gave one last Boron and Copper treatment mixed in with the 1/2 bag of Milorg I had left (front yard only), then put down about 40 lbs of urea to get 1 lb N/k in back and the needed .8lb to combine with the M to get 1 lb in front.

Urea is a pain with my spreader - 4 is too wide open and spreads too fast, but 3.5 is small enough that the larger granules jam in the opening and restrict flow. So I ended up going over all 20k sq. ft. 4 times in different directions. At least I know coverage will be pretty even - no dark/light stripes.

Over Turkey weekend I'll give one more cut at the same height just to pick up any junk left from the last bits of the trees winding down, and leave a nice striping for the winter (4 directions with a spreader leaves a bit of a mess, visually).

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » November 12th, 2017, 8:38 pm

I suspect that you know that the Milorganite will probably just sit there - if the lawn stops, the microbes have most likely gone to sleep too. That's OK if it was just to spread the micro's.

RichS
Grass Type: TTTF/Rye

Post by RichS » November 13th, 2017, 5:20 pm

Yeah, mostly just as a carrier. I tried both my regular fertilizer and Urea as a carrier and it didn't work - just blue/white powder at the bottom of the wheelbarrow I was mixing in. GrubEx worked OK, as it's a light and mixecd well, but I've used Milorg a few times now and am comfortable with the multi-layer cake of M, water spray, Borax/Cu - 4-5 layers - so I'll stick with it.

I assume the Fe and couple tenths of a lb of N will get used sometime - maybe a good spring startup.

RockinMyLawn
Grass Type: Fescue

Post by RockinMyLawn » November 13th, 2017, 6:30 pm

After last week's 4 days of rain, grass came back strong.
But I am down to a 2.5" cut & that's the lowest HOC for the year.
Readying for leaves to just sit on top of the lawn to be mulched or swept up from now till latter half of December in these areas.

Wrapped my backflow preventer after the the first hard freeze we had last week.
Hope it isn't too late since my irrigation winterizing appointment isn't till 12/1.

Is it me or Fall is much more interesting lawn wise?

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » November 14th, 2017, 4:07 pm

Mowed. Took off an inch or so.

The neighbors service mowed their lawn first thing in the morning with heavy frost still on the turf. This afternoon the tire tracks are very matted.

JohnP
Grass Type: KBG Mix

Post by JohnP » November 15th, 2017, 7:18 pm

Mowed the back. The oak leaves had really piled up for my Ego and it took a double pass to get them mulched in. I contemplated a third pass but I skipped it tonight. Hosed the wheels off and went inside.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by Green » November 15th, 2017, 8:40 pm

HoosierLawnGnome wrote:
November 14th, 2017, 4:07 pm
The neighbors service mowed their lawn first thing in the morning with heavy frost still on the turf. This afternoon the tire tracks are very matted.
Keep us updated on how that grass looks over time! I'd like to see what happens.

-------------------------------------------------

All I had time to do was mulch leaves on the front and bag them on the upper back. On the upper back, at the top mower setting of 3.75 inches, there were some clippings in the bag, though most weren't really long. So, as suspected, the grass is definitely still growing slowly.

I wanted to do a full mow an the entire yard and then put Lime down...hopefully it will be dry enough Friday to do that. The Lime needs to go down ASAP to fit into my lawncare schedule.

Green

Post by Green » November 16th, 2017, 7:15 pm

Spot sprayed Tenacity moderately to heavily (mixed at just under the 4oz/A rate) on Triv patches in the front. So far, it seems to have kept them from spreading more. Some are starting to even turn brown. I think it's because a lot of this Triv was new, susceptible growth from after the overseed.

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » November 16th, 2017, 7:20 pm

I think it's more related to the seasonal change - Triv really stands out in the Fall. Yeah, Tenacity gives it a kick, but it ain't dead. It will be back.

Green

Post by Green » November 16th, 2017, 7:24 pm

Very true, Andy. Not looking forward to that again. I may go the glyphosate route in early Spring if the patches are still defined, but before the other grass starts growing. I'm going to read up on that method by looking at old posts. The Velocity did a lot...but it wasn't a 100% kill everywhere.

Forgot to mention...also did some more hand-trimming in front today, and got 1/4-inch of rain last night and this AM.

Green

Post by Green » November 17th, 2017, 10:21 pm

Continuing the thread, "What did Green do on his lawn today":

Mowed and mulched side front at 3.25 with mower tilted up in the front. Mulch mowed low-input area at 3.75 inches, relocating some of the leaves. Finished in the dark Put down a 50-lb bag of Solu-Cal on low-input area in the dark. Around 7:30PM, I started seeing the dew on the lawn looking like it was forming ice crystals. Checked the local weather conditions, and sure enough, it was 37 degrees, almost 36. Figured I had better get off the lawn fairly soon so as not to be walking on frost-covered grass. I couldn't get anymore done after that. Hoping to finish mowing and Lime tomorrow in time before the rain.

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity

Post by ken-n-nancy » November 18th, 2017, 12:13 pm

Mowed the front lawn at my normal fall cutting height of 3.25" and found that there had been no growth since last week. No growth in the side or back, either, so I'm dropping the mowing height for those to 2.75" for their final mow. I'll drop the height in front to 2.75" after Thanksgiving.

Powhatan

Post by Powhatan » November 18th, 2017, 4:32 pm

About half the leaves have fallen from the various trees. The maples still have most of their Autumn leaves. Raked leaves off gravel driveway into yard. Mulched mowed leaves and grass @ 3.25".

The five small American Holly trees I transplanted about a month ago are still alive. :yahoo:

Sharpened chain and tuned up the Stihl chainsaw. I plan to cut down three large dead oak trees with the help of couple of neighbors. One of the trees has a young phoenix oak sapling growing near the dead trunk base which I'll try to save.

Green

Post by Green » November 18th, 2017, 10:27 pm

String trimmed in front. Mowed main front, side, and lower back at 3.25 inches. It had been a long time since I mowed the lower back at that height...it's not growing fast anymore. The mower mulches leaves better set level, rather than tilted, when there are only a few leaves. Finished putting down Lime and Epsom salt on the front, side, and low-input area...in the rain. I did not measure the Lime this time, but eyeballed it. I measured the Epsom salt. And the spreader totally broke right at the end. I did not put Lime on the back, and won't be until Spring, since the soil is in better shape there.

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000

Post by bpgreen » November 19th, 2017, 12:55 am

Mowed the last leaves into the lawn.

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » November 19th, 2017, 5:57 pm

I did one of my least favorite annual jobs today - put up a ton of snow stakes on 350' of driveway for the plow guy. This means it is now his territory until April.

Green

Post by Green » November 19th, 2017, 6:06 pm

andy10917 wrote:
November 19th, 2017, 5:57 pm
I did one of my least favorite annual jobs today - put up a ton of snow stakes on 350' of driveway for the plow guy. This means it is now his territory until April.
Even putting those things in is a nightmare. I hate doing it. Do you use one of those snow stake installation tools? I was thinking of getting a metal stake to make a pilot hole for the two 6-foot stakes (for near the curb) I have that don't have the separate metal stake and spring thingy at the end of the stake. Those are so much easier to put in...you just bang the metal spike in with a hammer, and then attach the spring on the bottom of the stake to it. But they don't make them in 6-foot models.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Last night and this AM, got 0.4-inch of rain. Yesterday, the Lime apps were Encap, at the 9-12 lbs/K rate. The Epsom salt was used at 1 lb/K as directed by ST-6 from my soil test.

Today, planted some KBG plugs on the side slope, where the overseed didn't work out as well as I had hoped from the get-go. Also dug out 3 dandelions from a flower bed on the side front, and hand-trimmed/edged near hell-strips.

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » November 19th, 2017, 6:18 pm

Home Depot always has a pre-season online deal for about $1 a stake in early November (before they're available in the stores). I buy 48 of them every year and dispose of the most-wrecked ones from last year in the same number. Pound them in and forget them. I'm in a semi-rural area (winding country road, no sidewalks) so it's really about defining the edges of driveways and parking areas.

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » November 20th, 2017, 5:56 pm

Mowed the front a few days ago, taking off about 1/2". Still growing. The back def needs mowed now. Looks like it's a later-than-Thanksgiving winterization for me this year.

HoosierDaddy
Grass Type: Front: Bewitched/Prosperity/Midnight/Blueberry; Back: Midnight/Prosperity/Blueberry
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Some Experience

Post by HoosierDaddy » November 20th, 2017, 6:12 pm

Just mowed and still took an inch off the top. Emptied my rain gauge from Saturday's monsoon. I don't know how much rain we got, but it was more than 6 inches.