2017: What did you do on your lawn today?

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
Pway
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Re: 2017: What did you do on your lawn today?

Post by Pway » December 4th, 2017, 4:29 pm

Planted a dozen pots of KBG that were started late summer. All went into areas of poa annua or poa trivialis that were bleached by mesotrione applications a couple months ago.

bauer time
Grass Type: TTTF/KBG mix
Lawn Size: 5000-10000

Post by bauer time » December 4th, 2017, 6:55 pm

Started to cut today and noticed there has been no top growth in the last week. Switched from mulch to bag and did my last clean up cut of the year. Clean my mower and put it away until next season. With rain in the forecast tomorrow I applied winterizer fertilizer application. Another one in the books!

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by Green » December 4th, 2017, 9:28 pm

This afternoon and evening, I did my final mow of the year and put down the final winterizer fertilizer. Took about 5 hours, including cleaning the mower, putting things away, etc. All areas except most of the upper back and a few areas prone to scalping went down to 2.75 in. For the fertilizer, I put down a 40-lb bag of Scotts Greenmax over the 15K of lawn area I have. I went heavier on areas that needed extra help, like the upper side. I was technically a tiny bit early on the fertilizer, but I'm banking on the upcoming forecast. I did this another year, too, with no adverse effects. Sometimes you just don't have a choice and have to bet on the weather. It was actually warm today though, so I was in short sleeves for a little while mowing before the sun went down. Two other consecutive neighbors next to me on my side of the street did their final mows today, too.

Upcoming forecast. You can't see it on here, but there's 1-3 inches of snow forecast for Saturday night:

Green

Post by Green » December 4th, 2017, 9:35 pm

Btw, soil temps at 2 and 4 inches were around 40F +/- as of 2:30PM today around the yard.

legacy2000
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by legacy2000 » December 5th, 2017, 10:17 am

Green I’m curious why you applied Scott’s greenmax instead of Urea?

Green

Post by Green » December 5th, 2017, 3:19 pm

legacy2000 wrote:
December 5th, 2017, 10:17 am
2 main reasons:

1. I got a good deal on it back in the Spring, and so bought a 40-lb bag specifically to keep for final winterizing. 40 lbs is not a normal size bag...you won't find one that big at HD or Ace. I got it at Costco.

2. I also find it easier to spread than the urea. The Scotts fertilizer particles are very small, practically greens-grade. And you use almost double the amount compared to urea...so I find good coverage easier to achieve.

It's mostly fast-release urea, anyway.

HoosierDaddy
Grass Type: Front: Bewitched/Prosperity/Midnight/Blueberry; Back: Midnight/Prosperity/Blueberry
Lawn Size: 3000-5000

Post by HoosierDaddy » December 5th, 2017, 3:35 pm

Final cut Sunday and spread my last Urea app before the rains last night.

DevilDawg81
Grass Type: KBG, PRG, Fescue mix
Lawn Size: 2 acre-5 acre

Post by DevilDawg81 » December 5th, 2017, 6:13 pm

Same as HoosierDaddy above, I made the final cut Sunday and dropped Urea last night. I woke up this morning to the wonderful sounds of rain falling. We got a good rain most of the early morning so I was pretty happy overall.

legacy2000
Grass Type: TTTF

Post by legacy2000 » December 5th, 2017, 7:47 pm

Green wrote:
December 5th, 2017, 3:19 pm
legacy2000 wrote:
December 5th, 2017, 10:17 am
2 main reasons:

1. I got a good deal on it back in the Spring, and so bought a 40-lb bag specifically to keep for final winterizing. 40 lbs is not a normal size bag...you won't find one that big at HD or Ace. I got it at Costco.

2. I also find it easier to spread than the urea. The Scotts fertilizer particles are very small, practically greens-grade. And you use almost double the amount compared to urea...so I find good coverage easier to achieve.

It's mostly fast-release urea, anyway.

Ok cool...I was in a rush myself today and wanted to apply winterizer before the rain and subsequent cold front (I’m also in CT). I didn’t have time to deal with measuring Urea so I bought a bag of Sta-Green 29-0-5 fertilizer, which it appears to be similar to Scott’s greenmax I think. Anyway , I applied a 10k bag to my 8k lawn.

tph018
Grass Type: Northern Mix (KBG, PRG)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre

Post by tph018 » December 5th, 2017, 9:42 pm

I’m in southwest Connecticut and managed to apply my winterizer (Green Mountain Fertilizer 0-0-46 urea) to the lawn this past Sunday, December 3 in anticipation of this evening’s rain shower.

The forecast for the upcoming Sunday calls for a chance of snow...

Last year, I applied winterizer on the earlier side (November 23, 2016) but saw excellent results the following spring. The year before, I applied winterizer even earlier, on November 16, 2015 and saw good results too...

tph018
Grass Type: Northern Mix (KBG, PRG)

Post by tph018 » December 5th, 2017, 10:03 pm

Sorry for the typo on my end in the previous post. I meant to say 46-0-0 (which is urea) rather than 0-0-46!

Green

Post by Green » December 6th, 2017, 7:06 pm

Started clearing leaves out of mulch beds. Did one final Tenacity spot spray on a little area on the front hill near the driveway. Sprayed my sod tray with Serenade at the heavy rate tonight, too. Hoping it will help the bit of disease. Tomorrow, that sod is getting cut up and planted in bare spots.

Good news and bad news...

Good: got 0.75-inch of rain yesterday and last night. We needed it, and not just to water in fertilizer...it was getting dry.

Bad: it was windy and more leaves came down. I had the yard clear, and had washed out the mower, but did not run it out of gas yet, just in case I needed it again. Well, looks like I'll be using it again tomorrow. Bad: the low-input area flood-prone section is flooded, and will stay that way for a long time with the cold weather. Grass kill from ice is going to happen, as usual. Plus, there's no way to clean up the leaves that fell back there, as it's too wet. It could be worse, though...some of the neighbors' yards are totally covered in leaves now, whereas they had none 2 days ago.

Paul
Grass Type: Bewitched KBG Monostand
Level: Advanced

Post by Paul » December 7th, 2017, 4:31 pm

Green wrote:
December 6th, 2017, 7:06 pm
Did one final Tenacity spot spray on a little area on the front hill near the driveway. Sprayed my sod tray with Serenade at the heavy rate tonight, too. Hoping it will help the bit of disease.
Tenacity and Serenade in December when the temps are in the 20's and 30's? What are you expecting from these applications?

Green

Post by Green » December 7th, 2017, 7:08 pm

This is crazy! I mowed again. Just finished now. Back and side. I got a bag full of clippings and leaves from the lower back and side, which had just been mowed a few days ago. 2.75 inches again. Also took the upper back down to 2.75 in and bagged it too. Blew out a few more mulch beds and trimmed prior to the mowing. Still have to do the front and low-input area...
Paul wrote:
December 7th, 2017, 4:31 pm
Tenacity and Serenade in December when the temps are in the 20's and 30's? What are you expecting from these applications?
These are follow-up Tenacity apps. Yeah, I don't recommend it to anyone else. I'm experimenting though. It might be a waste, or it might not. The verdict isn't in yet fully...but I did get severe browning of Triv...totally brown grass...from the October and November apps of Tenacity. You also have to remember that we didn't get much rain, and it's been cold, so it's not clear what's happening. We'll see in March if there's any lasting suppression. As far as the Serenade, I used it only on the sod tray (which is now being cut up and planted). That tray was started a bit late in the season, and was treated like a pro sports field, covering it at night, etc. That said, I might do a final Serenade app at the end of December, since I have some left and need to use it up. We'll see if it has any effects on snow mold...another experiment.

Green

Post by Green » December 7th, 2017, 8:52 pm

I guess I'm not the only one...a couple other neighbors got their mowers and lawn tractors out again today because of all the leaves. Unfortunately, the street is full of them.

4-inch soil temps registered 47F yesterday in the front during the warmest part of the day. Yesterday and today's air temps were about 45 degrees at the peak daytime high.

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity

Post by ken-n-nancy » December 8th, 2017, 6:24 pm

With snow in the forecast for tomorrow, I got home from work a little early today to set out the roadside markers in case the town plows come by tomorrow. Also decided that the lawn hadn't grown since the prior mowing, so I not only extracted the snow blower from the back "long term storage" corner of the garage but also replaced it with the winterized lawn mower, lawn roller, fertilizer spreader, and walk-behind sprayer. (I pile those all up in a back corner of the garage for the winter after the snow blower vacates that corner...)

Started the snow blower to make sure it would start. No issues there, so Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow...

DeanLI
Grass Type: NE Mix

Post by DeanLI » December 8th, 2017, 7:34 pm

Mulched leaves and saw no more growth. Dropped urea winterizer that will be watered in with 32 degree snow melt water this weekend.

Green

Post by Green » December 8th, 2017, 11:36 pm

Unbelievable...

I did not finish in time tonight, and it's going to start snowing in the morning. There are actually still some leaves on part of the low-input area...I didn't have time to finish mowing the entire area. But I did the part closest to the rest of the yard, as well as the front, back, and sides, so nothing will blow over hopefully. I mowed the front and that part of low-input today, bagging this time. I was actually still catching clippings. Lawn looks really clean now.

I wasn't the only one...I heard my neighbor still outside in the dark with his push blower while I was showering to get ready for an event. So many people were caught off-guard with the most recent leaf-dump.

I also finished laying the sod, and did added some mulch to a bed that needed it badly. Front beds were also cleaned out today.

And then I went out at night and put up the snow stakes after I got back.

free_safety

Post by free_safety » December 9th, 2017, 5:27 pm

Snow has started yet one of the trees in my neighbors side of the fence is still not done shedding leaves. Which means I still have raking to do. I am mad at that tree

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » December 9th, 2017, 8:18 pm

Move farther north - you wouldn't be mad because it would happen all the time