2017: What did you do on your lawn today?

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Re: 2017: What did you do on your lawn today?

Post by Green » December 9th, 2017, 10:43 pm

Well, there have been about 5 inches of snow so far today, so nothing with the lawn...it remains to be seen if it warms up/dries out enough next week to finish mowing.

LouisvilleGrubber
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by LouisvilleGrubber » December 10th, 2017, 10:09 pm

Snow yesterday. Got the leaves up. Just a few left on the oaks, perhaps not enough to have to clean up. Cut about 1/8th inch off. Still growing and green but we are getting towards the end.

Green

Post by Green » December 10th, 2017, 11:20 pm

Louisville grubber, that was us about 3 weeks ago, except there were a lot more leaves at that point still. If this snow ever melts and it warms up and dries out, I will mow again due to more leaves on about 3,000 square feet.

skippynj17
Grass Type: KBG ( Award , Everglade , Bewitched )

Post by skippynj17 » December 12th, 2017, 9:21 am

Dropped my winterizer app of Urea down this morning over a little bit of remaining slush during a light drizzle. A few of my neighbors that were taking their morning walk must have thought I am crazy .

bauer time
Grass Type: TTTF/KBG mix
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Some Experience

Post by bauer time » December 14th, 2017, 6:58 pm

skippynj17 wrote:
December 12th, 2017, 9:21 am
Dropped my winterizer app of Urea down this morning over a little bit of remaining slush during a light drizzle. A few of my neighbors that were taking their morning walk must have thought I am crazy .
Crazy how one very small state could differ so much. I'm in central NJ and cleaned up my yard last Monday and dropped winterizer because snow was coming. It has been covered with snow ever since and got another inch last night. Really happy I thought ahead with that because I'd be screwed at this point.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » December 14th, 2017, 9:53 pm

Not really so crazy. I just completed (today) a 20-month stint in Buffalo, NY and I live downstate. It snowed every single day this week in Buffalo, and people don't even blink. Downstate is so different.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » December 14th, 2017, 9:53 pm

Not really so crazy. I just completed (today) a 20-month stint in Buffalo, NY and I live downstate. It snowed every single day this week in Buffalo, and people don't even blink. Downstate is so different.

Green

Post by Green » December 14th, 2017, 11:47 pm

bauer time wrote:
December 14th, 2017, 6:58 pm
I'm in central NJ and cleaned up my yard last Monday and dropped winterizer because snow was coming. It has been covered with snow ever since and got another inch last night. Really happy I thought ahead with that because I'd be screwed at this point.
Glad I did my final winterizer app, too. But I never finished my final (unplanned) mow/leaf cleanup. I'm starting at 2-3 inches of snow as well as some ice sheets, wondering if I'll be able to mow in at least part of the low-input area again by Tuesday, before I put the mower away totally.

bauer time
Grass Type: TTTF/KBG mix
Lawn Size: 5000-10000

Post by bauer time » December 15th, 2017, 9:36 am

Green wrote:
December 14th, 2017, 11:47 pm
bauer time wrote:
December 14th, 2017, 6:58 pm
I'm in central NJ and cleaned up my yard last Monday and dropped winterizer because snow was coming. It has been covered with snow ever since and got another inch last night. Really happy I thought ahead with that because I'd be screwed at this point.
Glad I did my final winterizer app, too. But I never finished my final (unplanned) mow/leaf cleanup. I'm starting at 2-3 inches of snow as well as some ice sheets, wondering if I'll be able to mow in at least part of the low-input area again by Tuesday, before I put the mower away totally.
Yeah I have some additional leaves that fell with all the snow as well. I'm debating what to do with them as I've already put the mower away for the winter. I may just rake them up after all the snow is gone and ground is dry.

Powhatan

Post by Powhatan » December 17th, 2017, 4:11 pm

All the snow from last weekend's snow event finally melted. Grass is nice and green, doesn't appear to have grown any significantly from the last mow a few weeks ago, so I'm probably done mowing for the year. I don't winterize my small engine equipment; I run them for a few minutes monthly during the off season to cycle the internal fluids.

I raked leaves away from driveway culvert. The surrounding woods have acres of fallen leaves, too much for me, I'm sure the deer appreciate the bedding material. Raked pine needles off of lawn to around base of pine trees, darn needles don't mulch up very well with the mower. I pushed down mole tunnels, not many of them thankfully.

Cleaned up the dead fallen tree branches in the front yard near the woods. Cut some more of the felled oak tree trunk into firewood lengths and loaded them into my neighbor's 4 wheeler trailer. Tuned up my Stihl chainsaw and manually sharpened chain. Tuned up portable gas power generator for the house, always a good idea to make sure there's a backup method to get water out of the well.

j rockford
Grass Type: emblem moonbeam moonlight slt midnight star midnight prosperity, boutique

Post by j rockford » December 17th, 2017, 7:57 pm

Mulched last of the leaves, final mow on the turf, used last of the gas in the can. Put a fork in it. Then watered roses and, sigh, looked at the wife's to do list for something to tackle after the holidays

RockinMyLawn
Grass Type: Fescue

Post by RockinMyLawn » December 18th, 2017, 12:51 am

Blew out the remaining viburnum leaves - from the beds around the house - which just fall off & don't really wilt.
So the volume created about 2 hours of work.

Then mulch mowed whatever was left with the remaining gas in the tank.

2nd time I thought I was done this season...

Powhatan

Post by Powhatan » December 21st, 2017, 3:42 pm

Repurposed medium to small tree trunks that have fallen in the surrounding woods to put down as lawn edging in front yard and as trail edging leading to my fresh water lake.

Mulch mowed the fallen straggler Autumn leaves. Pushed down some mole tunnels. Put down a bag of Scotts Moss Control.

Hybrid bluegrass and Perennial ryegrass doing well. TT Tall fescue still showing some minor helminthosporium disease symptoms, I'm guessing (hoping) come next Spring the diseased blades will grow out.

Goosegrass weed growing on the first day of Winter :club: I pulled it up by it's roots after taking this picture.

Green

Post by Green » December 21st, 2017, 6:42 pm

Checked soil temps the other day. Front was 37-41F, and back was 35-38F. Still looking to do once more leaf cleanup on Christmas Eve.

Green

Post by Green » December 24th, 2017, 11:10 pm

Got 0.73 in of liquid equivalent rain and ice yesterday and the night before.

Today, did Christmas Eve yard work. Blew and raked leaves (essentially all Oak) one last time for 2017 where I could (front and back). Felt good to get them off the lawn before the really cold weather. Cleaned, ran, and put away the mower and everything else that was in the garage, including rinsing out the sprayer. I used the last of my mixed Serenade on the hell strips and border area along the driveway and front walk. I wonder if it will refuce snow mold in those areas. We will see in about 10 weeks...

Pway
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre

Post by Pway » January 1st, 2018, 10:28 am

Well not "on the lawn" technically but I realized last night I hadn't brought my herbicides in from the garage and with single digit temperatures there is the chance/likelihood of freezing. I have mesotrione, fenoxaprop, dithiopyr, Triclopyrand some others in liquid form. Moved to the cellar to avoid freezing. Happy New Year to all!