2017: What did you do on your lawn today?

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
Tsmith
Grass Type: KBG Bewitched Monostand
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: 2017: What did you do on your lawn today?

Post by Tsmith » March 7th, 2017, 10:15 am

woke up to more digging in the yard today so I guess its time to set the trap again and catch raccoon number 5

ericgautier
Grass Type: Front/Sides: Blueberry Monostand Back: TTTF+KBG

Post by ericgautier » March 7th, 2017, 10:29 am

T, still? Oh man... :(

Tsmith

Post by Tsmith » March 7th, 2017, 10:56 am

yeah it just started up again this weekend ironically on Saturday night when temps dropped into the teens then more and more every night since

im going to have to roll the heck out of my lawn once things warm up after all this digging

Riverpilot
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Post by Riverpilot » March 7th, 2017, 1:50 pm

Helping neighbors down the street clean up after a bad storm rolled through last night. 60+ mph winds, tornado, etc...
Thankfully it sounds like nobody was hurt. Mother Nature continues to be the undefeated heavyweight champion.
Also there is a chance of up to 6" of snow this weekend. Strange, strange spring.

Tsmith

Post by Tsmith » March 8th, 2017, 12:25 pm

sitting in office and I heard what sounded like a lawn mower but was acutall a powered spreader

Im assuming the landscapers were dropping pre em which I found a little surprising considering the lawn is covered with leaves

temps will be in the teens again this weekend with possible snow but i guess early is better than late

ericgautier

Post by ericgautier » March 8th, 2017, 3:27 pm

Charged up the battery for the 20v. Plan is to spray pre-m either today or tomorrow.

bauer time
Grass Type: TTTF/KBG mix
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Some Experience

Post by bauer time » March 8th, 2017, 5:26 pm

Spot sprayed poa annua with Tenacity.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by Green » March 8th, 2017, 8:20 pm

Got 1/4-inch of rain last night.

Picked up a few sticks, repositioned snow sticks ahead of more snow, raked a few areas on the side and lower back.

Took soil samples.

Put down gypsum along road, sidewalk, and driveway.

Sicride
Grass Type: Northern Mix

Post by Sicride » March 9th, 2017, 7:38 am

Just walked the perimeter of the lawn and took some drone footage out of curiosity. My early early early spring seeding is coming up nicely even in areas that didn't get watered. I am surprised because we really didn't get much rain at all since seed down February 17th

Tsmith

Post by Tsmith » March 9th, 2017, 10:21 am

i continue to have problems with raccoons so I finally broke down and picked up a trap rather than continue to pay someone to trap and remove them

set it last night just after dark with bread and jelly since i didnt have any peanutbutter and by 2 AM i captured my first raccoon and 5th overall in my yard since October

at this point since i was already up i decided to take a drive and relocate it in woods a few miles from my house which im hoping was far enough away but would have preferred further out. It wouldnt be easy for it to get back to area around my house but wouldnt completely surprise me

slept pretty well after that and didn't see any digging in the yard today

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000

Post by bpgreen » March 9th, 2017, 12:17 pm

Tsmith wrote:
March 9th, 2017, 10:21 am
i continue to have problems with raccoons so I finally broke down and picked up a trap rather than continue to pay someone to trap and remove them

set it last night just after dark with bread and jelly since i didnt have any peanutbutter and by 2 AM i captured my first raccoon and 5th overall in my yard since October

at this point since i was already up i decided to take a drive and relocate it in woods a few miles from my house which im hoping was far enough away but would have preferred further out. It wouldnt be easy for it to get back to area around my house but wouldnt completely surprise me

slept pretty well after that and didn't see any digging in the yard today
You should probably check on specifics about relocating animals. I had to have an opossum relocated once, and the guy who did it told me that it has to be relocated at least X distance so it won't just return, but no more than Y distance because it has to stay in the same general area so it doesn't mess up the ecosystem. Some of that is practical (the distance so it won't return), but some of it is regulated by law.

Tsmith

Post by Tsmith » March 9th, 2017, 2:14 pm

Technically we are not allowed to relocate and are supposed to "take care of" on the spot but Im kind of a wuss and cant bring myself to do that

I read when relocating raccoons you should take them at least 5 miles away if not 10 but that wasnt realistic this time around so i wont be surprised if it comes back although ill never know if its the same one or just the next one in line to tear up my yard...it wouldn't be an easy trip back but nothing surprises me anymore

RockinMyLawn
Grass Type: Fescue

Post by RockinMyLawn » March 9th, 2017, 4:33 pm

ericgautier wrote:
March 8th, 2017, 3:27 pm
Charged up the battery for the 20v. Plan is to spray pre-m either today or tomorrow.
I'm getting my first ever e- sprayer tomorrow - Chapin 4 Gallon.
Can't wait to do my first e-Pre_M spray this Sunday in 45° weather.

ericgautier

Post by ericgautier » March 9th, 2017, 4:54 pm

RockinMyLawn wrote:
March 9th, 2017, 4:33 pm
I'm getting my first ever e- sprayer tomorrow - Chapin 4 Gallon.
Can't wait to do my first e-Pre_M spray this Sunday in 45° weather.
IMO, you will like it a lot. I have a manual pump backpack sprayer, the earthway s15 and got the chapin 20v towards the end of last season. the manual sprayer and s15 are basically just taking up space in my shed now. :rotfl:

salvas
Grass Type: I don't know

Post by salvas » March 9th, 2017, 6:41 pm

Hello everyone.

So, this will be my first spring and have no idea what to do for the most part...

I have been reading the guides but I have a few doubts still.

I did an overseed last September which I was happy with results for the most part... you can see the differences here with before and after...

https://s1.postimg.cc/5jpq11uln/812253 ... t_id_1.jpg

https://s1.postimg.cc/m8r5wyr6z/IMG_20 ... 111422.jpg

https://s1.postimg.cc/3ugmszewb/IMG_20 ... 150105.jpg

I also followed the Nitrogen Fall regimen ... at the time I followed recommendations and I didnt go a full force. I did mostly at 75% of recommended dosages I believe.

I live in Central PA and snow this winter was almost non existent. I do have some bare spots from dogs urine that developed during winter however I would also like to tackle crabgrass since few summers were yard was very prone to it.

My questions are:

Essentially what to do now that we are approaching the season and temperatures have been getting pretty warm around here oddly.

I am thinking of Pre M'ing the yard and maybe try not to cover the few bare spots so i can reseed there (they are little like 1 foot at most diameter like 5-6 around the yard).

What pre M should I get and where at? I have a Lowes nearby... garden centers are a no go here since most of them are pretty much a mirror of what big stores are... last fall i was trying to find urea and none of them had it... even compost, they didn;t have screened compost - even with my limited knowledge, I felt I knew more than these small garden center people.

I dont mind buying online if shipping is cheap. IF available at a big store the better then. I see that Lowes has the pure form of Scott's Halts crabgrass preventer as seen here: http://aroundtheyard.com/index.php?opti ... Itemid=117

Not sure about other ones yet.

My grass is TTTF for the most part I guess.

What else should I treat the yard with and what schedule? Should I get a thermometer so I can time the pre M with the temperatures more accurately?

Temperatures in the next 9 days will be in the 30s even thoguh today is 60 and we have had a few days in the 70s last weekend or so .. weather has benn crazy for the most part...

Any help is appreciated and I guess I am gonnna go back to read some more!!

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by Green » March 9th, 2017, 7:31 pm

Raked and mowed for the first time most of the upper back (except between the house and shed). Soil temp was 37-39F there.

Mowed for the first time (2.25 in) the side and the lower back. Had some clumping issues. Soil temp was ~41F there.

Soil temps were as high as 47F on the front hill.

Picked up more sticks. Snow coming...

STL
Grass Type: TTTF

Post by STL » March 10th, 2017, 10:32 am

Spread the left over seed that I have no use for in the backyard as a sort of unscientific, let's see what happens dormant seed experiment. After nearly 70 degrees yesterday, we're supposed to get a snowy mix this weekend.

Cut down two small trees last weekend.

STL
Grass Type: TTTF

Post by STL » March 10th, 2017, 10:39 am

salvas wrote:
March 9th, 2017, 6:41 pm
Hello everyone.

So, this will be my first spring and have no idea what to do for the most part...

I have been reading the guides but I have a few doubts still.

I did an overseed last September which I was happy with results for the most part... you can see the differences here with before and after...

https://s1.postimg.cc/5jpq11uln/812253 ... t_id_1.jpg

https://s1.postimg.cc/m8r5wyr6z/IMG_20 ... 111422.jpg

https://s1.postimg.cc/3ugmszewb/IMG_20 ... 150105.jpg

I also followed the Nitrogen Fall regimen ... at the time I followed recommendations and I didnt go a full force. I did mostly at 75% of recommended dosages I believe.

I live in Central PA and snow this winter was almost non existent. I do have some bare spots from dogs urine that developed during winter however I would also like to tackle crabgrass since few summers were yard was very prone to it.

My questions are:

Essentially what to do now that we are approaching the season and temperatures have been getting pretty warm around here oddly.

I am thinking of Pre M'ing the yard and maybe try not to cover the few bare spots so i can reseed there (they are little like 1 foot at most diameter like 5-6 around the yard).

What pre M should I get and where at? I have a Lowes nearby... garden centers are a no go here since most of them are pretty much a mirror of what big stores are... last fall i was trying to find urea and none of them had it... even compost, they didn;t have screened compost - even with my limited knowledge, I felt I knew more than these small garden center people.

I dont mind buying online if shipping is cheap. IF available at a big store the better then. I see that Lowes has the pure form of Scott's Halts crabgrass preventer as seen here: http://aroundtheyard.com/index.php?opti ... Itemid=117

Not sure about other ones yet.

My grass is TTTF for the most part I guess.

What else should I treat the yard with and what schedule? Should I get a thermometer so I can time the pre M with the temperatures more accurately?

Temperatures in the next 9 days will be in the 30s even thoguh today is 60 and we have had a few days in the 70s last weekend or so .. weather has benn crazy for the most part...

Any help is appreciated and I guess I am gonnna go back to read some more!!
You'll get more help by asking this in a new thread. That said:

Soil test at Logan and interpretation in the soil managment forum will tell you what to do and when. Watch the forsythia bloom for timing pre emergent. Look for dimension or barricade without fertilizer at lawn and garden stores. I found dimension online at seedranch but it was more expensive than local barricade. I recommend getting the pre emergent down this spring, focusing on soil test amendments, and seeding in the fall.

Good luck!

salvas
Grass Type: I don't know

Post by salvas » March 11th, 2017, 11:43 pm

Is this forsythia?

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=59330DE5

If it is, then i have them on my yard!

Looking at pictures on Google images they look like the ones from the picture above of my yard... they become yellow when blooming and then turn green.

Sorry to post here but usually on forums people frown upon on opening new threads if its something that can be replied within other threads... i guess this forum is different in that sense. maybe the slower traffic explains it :D

Anyway, expecting 1-1.5 feet of snow on Monday/Tuesday...

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » March 12th, 2017, 12:04 am

Yes, that's Forsythia. And we don't care about opening new threads, but try to keep threads on-topic -- we DO frown on asking questions that (literally!) have been asked hundreds of times, however. We ask that members use the Search function before requesting that someone right up the same thing yet again.