2017: What did you do on your lawn today?

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
HoosierDaddy
Grass Type: Front: Bewitched/Prosperity/Midnight/Blueberry; Back: Midnight/Prosperity/Blueberry
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Some Experience

Re: 2017: What did you do on your lawn today?

Post by HoosierDaddy » September 29th, 2017, 1:12 pm

I get mine at the Fishers Do It Center on Allisonville. $23 this year, but 18 last year (except they only charge me 6 since it was ripped, SCORE!) I know I pay more there but like to support local small businesses.

Yesterday- dropped a little more seed on the reno (late but we'll see) and backed off some of the watering to limit wet spots.

Had a visit from a friend to check out the reno areas, this year's and last. (Okay, it was HLG.) :P

skippynj17
Grass Type: KBG ( Award , Everglade , Bewitched )
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by skippynj17 » September 29th, 2017, 4:04 pm

picked up a 50lb bag of urea this morning from site one for $25 . I hope this will do. I havent opened the bag yet to to check and see how fine the product is .

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » September 29th, 2017, 5:03 pm

That's the stuff!!

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by Green » September 29th, 2017, 11:07 pm

Finished mowing low-input area. Still at max height there as well as in the front (3.75 in).

Watered back 1/3 of side front deeply.
Watered seed/new grass/overseed areas.

Raked out and mowed uppermost side at 2.27 in, sprayed tank mixture of PGR and Tenacity (with surfactant) on entire upper side, and put down seed on the upper area, as well as the middle area (which is a re-overseed, because the original overseed on that part didn't come out well). Seed was roughly a 70/30 KBG/TTPR mix, consisting of Rugby II KBG seed and Champion GQ blend TTPR (with SR4420, SR4600, and Zoom cultivars).

Put down Fungicide (Headway G: 2.25 lbs over 2.15K area) as first rust treatment on upper back because it wasn't improving after 1-2 months.

Put down ~0.25 lb/K of N on low-input area in the form of ~12 lbs of cheap generic 10-10-10 fertilizer.

Chris LI
Grass Type: KBG/NoMix, TTTF/KBG, KBG/FF

Post by Chris LI » September 29th, 2017, 11:22 pm

Fall finally hit today. High temp was 69-70* which was a 10+ degree change from the last 2-3 weeks. Dropped my first app of urea and watered it in.

Yesterday, mowed front at 3", back at 2.5". Applied Vitamin M on seeded areas and trouble spots. Watered front as some areas were in visible stress.

Green

Post by Green » September 29th, 2017, 11:47 pm

Too many numerical errors in my previous post. I mowed the side at 2.75 inches and bagged it. My custom KBG/PR mix was roughly 75%/25%.

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » September 30th, 2017, 11:38 am

Cut it this morning. I might lower it one more notch soon.

Temps dropped again so I need to get back on the urea wagon.

Powhatan

Post by Powhatan » October 1st, 2017, 12:05 pm

Transition zone overseed 2nd attempt - TTTF/PRG mix, put down .5#/k synthetic fertilizer app, and moisten hand watered. I'll put down another .5# fert app in 2 to 4 weeks.

I have well water so was depending more of mother nature to do the irrigation duties for the TTTF/HBG overseed I did a month ago. The first two weeks it got cool and had random decent rainfall, then the last two weeks the air temps and humidity went up, and the turf got some rust and mycelium. I was moisten hand watering thin growth areas, but alas was not enough. Looked like most of the new growth weakened and died off. :(

This week the air temps are back down and rain is forecasted next week. So, I put down a mix TTTF/PRG to hopefully fill in the thin areas.

JohnP
Grass Type: KBG Mix

Post by JohnP » October 1st, 2017, 3:28 pm

Mowed at 4" because it got away from me thanks to work. Searched high and low for trimmer string, I've lost it. Skipped trimming and did Urea. Watering in and doing a catch can audit again just cause. Tacos. Beer.

RichS
Grass Type: TTTF/Rye

Post by RichS » October 1st, 2017, 4:49 pm

Another 1/2 N today via Urea. Less than 0.2in rain since 9/8 - over 3 weeks. I skipped an application last week, but drug out the hoses/sprinklers and ran them last night/most of the day. It actually hit 31.6 degrees for an hour last night, but up to 68 today, and 80 later in the week, so I don't think it's time for a pause yet

We're finally supposed to get rain Thurs/Fri, then again Sun/Mon, so another dose of B/Cu next weekend, plus Urea and maybe another round of BLSC

Here's the border with my neighbor on the other side:

JohnP

Post by JohnP » October 1st, 2017, 8:31 pm

Rich ads you using a drop spreader on that line or just have your broadcast down that well? Looks good!

Chris LI
Grass Type: KBG/NoMix, TTTF/KBG, KBG/FF

Post by Chris LI » October 1st, 2017, 8:55 pm

Looks nice, RichS. Nice domination line!

After work today, I watered seeded/weak/LDS areas and examined recovery in general. About 2/3 of yard was drought stressed as of last Thursday with fungal issues since we had way above avg temps, but no rain for about two weeks due to Hurricane activity in the Atlantic. I was busy working OT due to the storms and I missed two cycles of mowing and no supplemental irrigation. :banghead:

After a localized Milo app, first blanket app of urea, and water (irrigation and natural rain), I'm starting to see some results.

It dropped to 49* last night. :good:

Due to work and family commitments over the summer, I was never able to apply a preventative app of Serenade. Is it even worth it now?

Green

Post by Green » October 1st, 2017, 10:00 pm

Chris LI wrote:
October 1st, 2017, 8:55 pm
... but no rain for about two weeks due to Hurricane activity in the Atlantic.
Terrible, isn't it? we're in "abnormally dry" now. You know how much rain I got the other night (first rain about 3 weeks)? Somewhere between 1 and 3 hundredths of an inch! Florida is getting all of our rain yet again, this coming week because of another system that's developing in the Caribbean. Parts of that state have already had over double the amount of rain they normally get in a whole year (85 inches in some areas so far)...more than enough to clear the drought they had during the first quarter of 2017. And 2017 is only 3/4 of the way through! I keep hearing forecasters say that the ground there is soggy and can't take anymore water. Imagine what this will do for future sink hole development in the central part of the state. It's one of the wettest years recorded for the state as a whole (in the top 5 so far), and the number one wettest year for many counties.

Green

Post by Green » October 1st, 2017, 10:57 pm

Sept. 29th: Also put down 50/50 fertilizer at 0.5 lb/K of N on lower back. That night, got no more than 0.03 in of rain. It's been about 3 weeks since measurable rain.

Yesterday: Put down fertilizer (Scotts 24-24-4) on lower side overseed area (0.25 lb/K of N and P)
Sprayed Tenacity (mostly spot) at 4oz rate on front overseed areas for first time (yes, some of the Triv is coming back), lower back, and low-input area (not just for Triv, but weeds, too). And watering of course. Also re-overseeded parts of lower side overseed area that needed more seed, and put down peat moss.

Today: Mowed front hill and hell-strips at 3.75 in, rear of side front from overseed area (where b-ball marker is) to stepping stones, at 3.25 in.

Put down fertilizer (Scotts 24-24-4) on main front overseed area (0.25 lb/K of N and P) and side front overseed area (0.5 lb/K of N and P).

Watering, including overseed/seed areas, lower back 90-min irrigation audit after making a nozzle swap, front hill and hell-strips in that area after spraying Hydretain on then and on the top part of the hill that's still browning out, and on the biggest dormant patch that I had transplanted plugs into recently in the low-input area (after spraying Hydretain there, too).

Also sprayed Serenade (4oz rate) on lower back, part of upper back that got watered, some plants in that area, front hill, and hell-strips...right after watering.

Tomorrow: Mow front. Fertilizer on upper back, parts of front, part of low-input area; mowing overseed areas. Water front. Water upper back. Serenade on more areas. Propicaonazole. Trimming.

RockinMyLawn
Grass Type: Fescue

Post by RockinMyLawn » October 1st, 2017, 11:03 pm

First cut in 4 weeks - since labor day weekend.

Grass looks lush & green
Love this weather even without the rain that 3 hurricanes took & moved into Houston & FL.

smast16
Grass Type: Front: TTTF & KBG Back: Salad Bar

Post by smast16 » October 2nd, 2017, 6:44 am

Nothing. Its so dry I don't dare fertilize or cut.

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » October 2nd, 2017, 9:34 am

Nice, RichS! We are in almost the same boat here, but a bit warmer. Hardly any precipitation here. The upside is that it has exposed the irrigation coverage issues on my turf, so it's been a good opportunity to get out there and adjust heads, replace heads, etc. I've held off on urea for 2 weeks now, did milo lightly once though.

Green

Post by Green » October 2nd, 2017, 9:24 pm

Cut the front overseed areas with the Fiskars. Still had to double cut part of it, but less of it than the last time!

Watered, Including watering main front hellstrip area by hand.

Put down 0.5 lb/K of N on the upper back, watered it in with about a half inch of water and did irrigation audit again, and then dried the grass off with the blower the best I could, as it was afternoon and I have a fungus issue.

Mowed non-overseeded front portion of main front at 3.75 in.

Put down some 6-2-0 Milorganite on the still-dormant patches and other thin areas in the low-input area. Sprayed some old PGR mixture (that stunk a bit) on the hellstrips.

Tomorrow: Milorganite and Serenade on front and lower back overseed areas, and Milorganite on upper back. Trying my best to do some semblance of an aggressive N program.

JohnP

Post by JohnP » October 2nd, 2017, 10:25 pm

Finally made it to our local Site One. Was neat seeing the 50# bags of Milorganite and all the sprinkler heads. Not cool was the $115 price tag on 8oz Tenacity. Also nothing in stock for SOP or TSP. Did have Urea though, which I didn't need. Left with some lime. Will have to hit my Fairfax suppplier, they have the stuff.

Picked up the Ego Power+ trimmer. Will buy the edger head online. Picked up some big sticks that fell in yard. Purchased some new lights for Christmas to test. Craft beer.

seiyafan
Grass Type: Bewitched mono and TTTF/KBG mix

Post by seiyafan » October 2nd, 2017, 10:28 pm

Try Honda mower for the first time today, it's my first time using a self propelled mower and I've got a question, when I reach the end of the lawn should I release the clutch when making a U turn or keep it on?