Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
lawndad
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Proactive Bio Fungicide Program 2017

Post by lawndad » February 9th, 2017, 11:27 pm

Hello fellow lawn nuts,

I was trying to research a proactive bio fungicide program for this coming season. I am done with battling fungus all season long. I couldn't find a good thread or article that really dummied it down on what exactly it is all about, what to buy and how to apply. Maybe, I don't even know what to search for. I recall members talking about Companion and Serenade but I am completely clueless on the topic. Can someone link anything in here or break it down for me? I wanted to start pricing things, sourcing products, looking into a sprayer and I wanted a little time to do it.

Thanks,
LD

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Proactive Bio Fungicide Program 2017

Post by andy10917 » February 9th, 2017, 11:45 pm

You're still chasing the "latest miracle in a bag" syndrome, and that's just about the last thing that the Proactive Biofungicide Regimen is. It's about doing the fungus battle even when there is no fungus - not avoiding the fungus battle. There is no "break it down for me".

lawndad

Post by lawndad » February 10th, 2017, 8:41 am

andy10917 wrote:
February 9th, 2017, 11:45 pm
You're still chasing the "latest miracle in a bag" syndrome, and that's just about the last thing that the Proactive Biofungicide Regimen is. It's about doing the fungus battle even when there is no fungus - not avoiding the fungus battle. There is no "break it down for me".
Yes, I want to do the applications when there is NO fungus. I want to prevent it if possible or at least minimize it. Some have said they haven't had fungus in years doing the program. As I recall you had said no fungus in about 7 years, that is great! So how, what and where do I find the information on the regimen? Is there a post or article similar to the Fall "winterizing" applications?

Thanks in advance, Andy.
LD

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » February 10th, 2017, 9:27 am

It isn't all in one place like the Fall Nitrogen Regimen is. It's on the list of things I need to do, but it's not at the top of the list - and I don't know when I'll get to it. In the meantime, search for keywords like "biofungicide" and "proactive".

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » February 10th, 2017, 10:32 am

Here are a few things to read. There may be some differences between the early (2012) stuff and the new material - that's the learning process at play.

Fungal Control Plans for 2012
It's Time for Proactive Fungus Control
Proactive Biofungicide Programs: Time to Add Phosphites
Biofungicides for soil pathogens - Actinovate/Companion
Proactive Biofungicides Program Heads-Up

(Thanks to TIMMYG for these links)

Casutherland
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

Post by Casutherland » February 10th, 2017, 12:54 pm

Thanks for the articles Andy. I think I am going to start with Serenade on my lawn this year and go from there. This is my second year having the yard treated for fungus. Had some major issues with it last year. It even looks like I have some areas that may be dealing with leaf spot right now. It strange. Some parts of my yard are growing more than others. We have had a very mild winter here in Middle Tennessee, and yes I did say "growing."

lawndad

Post by lawndad » February 10th, 2017, 8:09 pm

andy10917 wrote:
February 10th, 2017, 10:32 am
Here are a few things to read. There may be some differences between the early (2012) stuff and the new material - that's the learning process at play.

Fungal Control Plans for 2012
It's Time for Proactive Fungus Control
Proactive Biofungicide Programs: Time to Add Phosphites
Biofungicides for soil pathogens - Actinovate/Companion
Proactive Biofungicides Program Heads-Up

(Thanks to TIMMYG for these links)

Thanks Andy and TimmyG. I'll be reading into this. Much appreciated.

bernstem
Grass Type: Front: Solar Eclipse/Award/Bewitched/Moonlight SLT/Prosperity Back: Solar Eclipse Monostand + Bewitched (shade)

Post by bernstem » February 12th, 2017, 5:10 pm

Keep in mind also that the "Proactive Biofungicide Program" is about a lot more than just a handful of non-chemical fungal controls. It also incorporates an overall philosophy of care that nurtures beneficial fungi as much as possible while working to minimize/inhibit/kill pathogenic fungi. It also works to maximize turfgrass health to increase disease resistance. Just using Serenade/Companion/Actinovate/Phosphite/etc. in isolation likely isn't going to work.

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » February 12th, 2017, 9:19 pm

Better words than mine, but same sentiment. It's not a "tell me what to buy and how much to put down" solution. If you run from one thing to another that sounds good this week, the Proactive Biofungicide effort and money will be a complete waste. It's all about sticking with a single direction log enough that the damage of helter-skelter approaches diminishes, and then building things up over time.

TimmyG
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Experienced

Post by TimmyG » February 12th, 2017, 11:19 pm

Ha! Thanks, Andy. I was about to go chasing down that post of mine that linked the relevant threads. Appreciate the shout out.

lawndad

Post by lawndad » February 27th, 2017, 11:25 pm

I pick up what you're putting down. I'll read over what you linked here and then make a determination along with probably a few questions.

lawndad

Post by lawndad » March 2nd, 2017, 3:38 pm

I have read over the linked articles and the above comments. I understand that this is a process and the applications can't be missed. That is not the problem. The problem is figuring out what I need to apply and when for my situation. Of course the cost is a consideration as well when I price it all out.

It seems that everyone has their own blend of what and when they use these products: Serenade, Actinovate, Companion, cracked corn etc. I understand that this is a preventative program that needs to be put down prior to any symptoms and it encourages good fungi into the lawn to help battle the bad fungi. Last year, I applied a generous amount of synthetic fungicides to my lawn due to a plethora of different diseases. I'm not sure what products would be needed based on my soil's condition because of all the synthetics that I used last year.

How would I determine what to apply, what order, how much etc.? My plan is to review this program early on, price and source it all out. After all, I will need to gain a better grasp on "my program" and then find all the products including a tank sprayer. I need a helpful "coach" to get me started... Any takers? Just to note, I will be searching the forum on how to source the products and a tank sprayer after. I want this thread to be used at the 2017 bio fungicide program Q&A. As always, feel free to dummy it down but take it easy on this first timer.

Thanks,
LD

lawndad

Post by lawndad » March 19th, 2017, 4:57 pm

Bueller?... Bueller?... Bueller?

Maybe I'll just stick to synthetics?

ericgautier
Grass Type: Front/Sides: Blueberry Monostand Back: TTTF+KBG

Post by ericgautier » March 20th, 2017, 1:28 pm

What biofungicide did you try last year?

Casutherland

Post by Casutherland » March 20th, 2017, 1:36 pm

lawndad wrote:
March 2nd, 2017, 3:38 pm
I have read over the linked articles and the above comments. I understand that this is a process and the applications can't be missed. That is not the problem. The problem is figuring out what I need to apply and when for my situation. Of course the cost is a consideration as well when I price it all out.

It seems that everyone has their own blend of what and when they use these products: Serenade, Actinovate, Companion, cracked corn etc. I understand that this is a preventative program that needs to be put down prior to any symptoms and it encourages good fungi into the lawn to help battle the bad fungi. Last year, I applied a generous amount of synthetic fungicides to my lawn due to a plethora of different diseases. I'm not sure what products would be needed based on my soil's condition because of all the synthetics that I used last year.

How would I determine what to apply, what order, how much etc.? My plan is to review this program early on, price and source it all out. After all, I will need to gain a better grasp on "my program" and then find all the products including a tank sprayer. I need a helpful "coach" to get me started... Any takers? Just to note, I will be searching the forum on how to source the products and a tank sprayer after. I want this thread to be used at the 2017 bio fungicide program Q&A. As always, feel free to dummy it down but take it easy on this first timer.

Thanks,
LD
I am in the same boat. However, I have already purchased my Serenade, Actinovate, Companion, and cracked corn.

I had already drafted up a post about this, and then I saw yours. Would love to see a response to this. My questions are the exact same.

gave20
Grass Type: tall fescue

Post by gave20 » March 20th, 2017, 4:37 pm

lawndad wrote:
March 2nd, 2017, 3:38 pm
My plan is to review this program early on, price and source it all out.

you don't do a bio fungicide program because it's cheaper you do it because its better for your lawn, soil and overall management plan. using synthetics treats symptoms but doesn't solve the overall problem, bio fungicides treat the problems so you don't see the symptoms.

for TTTF you're going to want to use serenade and cracked corn applying on a monthly basis but in reality applying any bio fungicide is beneficial but corn/serenade are the best for limiting brown patch. build a healthy fungal community and your application rates will diminish.

Pete1313
Grass Type: Bewitched KBG
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre

Post by Pete1313 » March 20th, 2017, 7:37 pm

I have been following a proactive bio fungicide plan for a few years now, and will continue at it. For me I use a couple applications of ground corn in may (around 15lbs/K) and then start spraying serenade throughout the year. Every 3 weeks works for me, but I will spray more frequently when the conditions are right for disease. I have yet to battle a disease issue, but I live near the Illinois/Wisconsin border where pressure will be less than someone in Tennessee or St. Louis. If I had a disease issue in the past, I would try to identify it first to figure out the best way to attack it. Cost wise, what I do is about the same price as one application of heritage fungicide, and better for the soil biology. Soil, disease pressure, and climates will be different so YMMV, but I'm happy with the results.

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » March 20th, 2017, 8:33 pm

Pete's experience is similar to mine, and is not unusual for people that truly stick to it and adjust for periods of high risk of fungus, and don't stop because they don't see a current threat. Reading the five threads above should provide you with the proper background for building a plan for your lawn - if you can't build a plan after those threads, the Regimen may not be right for you.

Casutherland

Post by Casutherland » March 20th, 2017, 9:25 pm

andy10917 wrote:
March 20th, 2017, 8:33 pm
Pete's experience is similar to mine, and is not unusual for people that truly stick to it and adjust for periods of high risk of fungus, or stop because they don't see a current threat. Reading the five threads above should provide you with the proper background for building a plan for your lawn - if you can't build a plan after those threads, the Regimen may not be right for you.
Fair enough..the real question that I have would be, can you mix Serenade, Companion, and Actinovate, or do they need to be applied in rotation separately?

Thanks man!

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » March 20th, 2017, 9:33 pm

No, they can be mixed OK. They're living creatures, not chemicals. Try not to mix living creatures with other stuff that may be brutal to living things. I may be overstating it a bit, but I joke that I shouldn't put living creatures in anything I wouldn't wash my dog with.