No Peeing Signs?

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
PSU4ME
Grass Type: Front: Bewitched/Midnight/Everglade Back: Midnight/Diva/Everest
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

No Peeing Signs?

Post by PSU4ME » April 20th, 2017, 8:11 am

So when I work from home on Fridays, I see a lot of people walking their dog in front of my house.....its a nice neighborhood and a nice walk so I get it. The downside is that I sometimes see their dogs pee in my lawn and I want to go nuts and I also find dog poop on the edges too......i know the diameter of my dogs poop so I know people let their dogs poop on the orchard side of my property.....just as they pass the trees and can't see my house anymore.

So I bought some "please be courteous" signs with a squatting dog with a line through it. I also have a no peeing one. My neighbor across the street asked my why I put out the "neighbor deterrent" signs and I told him I don't want dogs peeing and pooping on my grass (he has a dog and i'm friendly with him).

I have a dog myself and i manage his "activities" very closely.

Anyone have any good tips/tricks for getting this message across nicely and not making anyone upset? Dog urine spots drive me crazy and i don't want to do all this work only to see dead spots that i have to go put sugar on!

kbgfarmer
Grass Type: Bewitched Kentucky bluegrass

Re: No Peeing Signs?

Post by kbgfarmer » April 20th, 2017, 9:03 am

I have the same problem except somebody in my neighborhood is allowing their dog to poop on my yard. It's always fun stepping in the poo or mowing over it :x I was also considering putting up signs but knowing how evil people are it may encourage someone even more to do it. Should I place a camera out? I Heard their are electronic motion activated dog deterrants?

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » April 20th, 2017, 9:40 am

The HOA I lived in was pretty good at reminding people about the "pick up the pooch pooh" policy. I had problems as I was on a corner lot and people would always stop right there.

Once I got it growing in nice and healthy, they quit letting them go there - they knew I really cared about it. So, I never had to put up a sign (but I thought at about it). In fact, they started apologizing any time their dog would pee on the lawn (which I didn't care about, really) - made for a good conversation starter haha.

So, I don't know - it's probably more of a question about what is going to work for the people in your neighborhood and you would know them way better than us. There were a few neighbors with the no pee signs which were polite and to the point. I never heard any dog lovers express anger towards the sign owners - there were plenty of other places to pee in that neighborhood, especially public areas good for that purpose.

STL
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by STL » April 20th, 2017, 10:40 am

I think that's about all you can do without crossing the "crazy neighbor" line. I have the same issue and have a larger corner lot with no side walks. Technically where the dogs poop is the city's property with my grass on it so my hands are even more tied. I also get a lot of house sale and garage sale signs. If the posts they stick in my grass are too big, one person used a broken off fence picket once!, I've been known to make them disappear. Lol.

Michael303
Grass Type: KBG

Post by Michael303 » April 20th, 2017, 11:07 am

Personally I think dogs going in my front yard is perfectly acceptable when they're on a walk as long as the owner picks up the solids. It's just a reality of having a lawn on a public street. Walking through my neighborhood there's basically no soft place for a dog to go that isn't on someone's property.

PSU4ME
Grass Type: Front: Bewitched/Midnight/Everglade Back: Midnight/Diva/Everest

Post by PSU4ME » April 20th, 2017, 12:58 pm

Thanks guys - I'm more OK with the poop than I am the peeing because i just pick up the poop when i do my dogs weekly droppings so no biggie - I just think its rude. The peeing is what gets me and as a dog owner, I know its tough to do anything about it when fido stops to water.......so that's why I was wanting to do the signs, just so people knew I cared.

I read that having a good organically diverse lawn will help the soil microbes deal with the nitrogen from the pee better and avoid the burn spots......high on my list!

mtlcafan79
Grass Type: Zoysia/NoMix mutt mix

Post by mtlcafan79 » April 20th, 2017, 10:06 pm

Change every now and then for best results.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » April 20th, 2017, 10:14 pm

I was thinking along the lines of a chalk outline on the lawn of a man, a dog and a leash. It's subtle, but effective.

seiyafan
Grass Type: Bewitched mono and TTTF/KBG mix

Post by seiyafan » April 20th, 2017, 10:38 pm

Abyss
Grass Type: Midnight II and Northstar out back

Post by Abyss » April 21st, 2017, 4:04 pm

mtlcafan79 wrote:
April 20th, 2017, 10:06 pm

Change every now and then for best results.
I second this picture!

I live in a rowhome, and hang out on the front porch a lot, and in a caring manner let people walking their dogs know that the lawn is highly chemically maintained and they should try to keep their dogs off it so they don't get sick.

(It helps that I have Bermuda and don't live in the south)

tlinden
Grass Type: Bewitched, Blue Velvet, Prosperity

Post by tlinden » April 21st, 2017, 8:02 pm

Nobody lets their dogs on my lawn for some reason. I wondered if it's because they see me "using all those chemicals" as I overheard one person talking about it. So I make it a point to apply BLSC with no shoes on lol

McLovin
Grass Type: TTTF
Level: Novice

Post by McLovin » April 21st, 2017, 8:20 pm

gryd 'em

Click for full size

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by Green » April 21st, 2017, 8:38 pm

No peeing signs?
There's no "peeing signs" around?

You mean to tell me there's a lack of peeing signs on your property? I don't know about you...but I have to know where I'm allowed to pee. I couldn't cope without signs. And I hate it when those dang bathroom doors just say "Men". Men what? Men drinking, men working? And dogs aren't as sophisticated as us...those dogs need to learn to read the signs too but it's hard for them.

Just kidding! I'm actually pretty picky about dogs peeing, too. Hate when they pee and it turns grass brown, even on other people's yards. One of my neighbors at the end has a bunch of pee spots on his nice lawn...and doesn't even have a dog.

Good luck!

tlinden

Post by tlinden » April 21st, 2017, 10:00 pm

Lol I saw a house in the city with a rock lawn and a no peeing/pooping sign with a chain hanging a foot off the ground around the border. Just made me laugh as the sign said not on the lawn but it had no lawn

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by Green » April 21st, 2017, 10:23 pm

Why not a "please pee in the street, not on the lawn, thank you!" sign pointing to the street?

GeorgiaDad
Grass Type: Frontyard: Award, NuChicago, Midnight. kbg Backyard: Mutt Fescue with a little Midnight kbg thrown in.

Post by GeorgiaDad » April 22nd, 2017, 8:00 am

McLovin...I never get tired of that pic. :rotfl:
I like Andy's idea. You could also get little tombstones that read...Here lives the last dog that pee'd in my yard.
Or get a motion controlled sprinkler. Maybe the owner won't learn but the dog will.

zhotster
Grass Type: KGB
Lawn Size: 3000-5000

Post by zhotster » April 22nd, 2017, 8:12 am

I bought one of these little gadgets. Set it to work ultrasonically, so it makes no noise and no flashing lights. I have by my house, plugged in, pointing to the offending area. To be honest, I'm not sure how well it works. I feel better though lol. https://www.amazon.com/Eliminator-Advan ... op?ie=UTF8

Overfloater
Grass Type: TTTF front lawn, Elite KBG backyard.

Post by Overfloater » April 22nd, 2017, 8:55 am

I have the same problem in my neighborhood. Luckily I haven't had any burning from pee however I keep a close eye out and if I see somebody's dog crapping on my lawn, I watch to make sure they pick it up, per local bylaws.

Twice I have watched somebody start walking off after leaving a poop and I confronted them. Luckily they were pretty responsive and came back and picked it up later.

Most people around here are pretty responsible dog owners but there are always a few that have zero respect for others property.

A few times I have had to go out and tell people to get their dog off my property because the dog was running around unleashed through the flowerbeds and what not.

I think your best policy would be to talk to people if you see them going near your property. Tell them you expect them to pick up their dogs poop.

A lot of people I have encountered seem to think the poop and pee actually help the grass grow better so they leave it. I told them it's not true and I don't appreciate stepping in dog crap as it sits on my lawn for a month decomposing.

Grass Type: Quack, No Mix

Post by 1977212 » April 22nd, 2017, 10:49 am

All the dogs around me run free for the most part even though county ordinance says they cannot. I don't really have any other neighbor complaints though, it could be much worse so I let it be.

tlinden

Post by tlinden » April 22nd, 2017, 10:17 pm

The only time I called someone out on it they argued with me that the dog didnt poop. I could see it from my window.