Status of POACure? (Updated 02/2020 below)

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
Pway
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Re: Status of POACure? (Updated 02/2020 below)

Post by Pway » July 24th, 2020, 10:32 am

Green: The Moghu rep came to the. Purse and gave a 45 minute presentation on the product and it’s use. I’m told he said Moghu’s phone is ringing off the hook not only from golf courses, but landscapers, homeowners, etc trying to get it. They are very rigorous and strict about registration and sale. My golf super told me a story about a herbicide some years ago (can’t recall the name) that was approved for residential use after some time of golf course only, and people misused it that led to killing lots of trees. The manufacturer was sued big time. The point of the story was that residential use isn’t granted lightly. Probably a few years out, if at all.

Andy: I don’t doubt you at all! But I’m desperate so if it were available I’d risk it!

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by Green » July 24th, 2020, 2:59 pm

Pway: "Imprellis". It's like a swear word now as I understand it.

Andy: Absolutely. But I would think sod farms might come before sports fields for priority of approval.

Tenacity and Pylex were in the pipeline around the time I started lawncare. Found out about Tenacity on here shortly after it was approved, and tried it a couple of years later. That one probably had a lower bar in some respects, though. Even "Pylex" is now available in a consumer version at big box stores (fairly recently, I gather).

Pway

Post by Pway » July 25th, 2020, 10:10 am

Green: yes Impreliss, thanks!

Wally
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by Wally » July 25th, 2020, 9:07 pm

Is the stuff still $5000 per 1000sf? Holy Smokes!

Pway

Post by Pway » September 2nd, 2020, 2:37 pm

Just want to provide a quick update on the use of Poacure at the golf course I belong to. The area that the grounds super used it on (a fairly long par four fairway and rough) is pristine and no reemergence of Poa Trivialis. The guy, and I, are really impressed.

napper
Grass Type: Midnight II, Rhapsody, Blueberry, Bewitched

Post by napper » September 28th, 2020, 10:48 pm

Time to start the fall applications.

northeastlawn
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 1000-3000

Post by northeastlawn » September 28th, 2020, 11:12 pm

Massachusetts just approved it, I would do anything for a bottle of it. The poa-a that made it through the summer is growing like crazy in my yard, Tenacity has never really worked great on mature poa-a for me. I always end up hand pulling a lot of good KBG with the poa-a.

This POACure stuff is my only hope, but i have my doubts if we will see it for home use for a long time.

napper

Post by napper » September 29th, 2020, 11:06 am

Do you have to apply poacure every year or does a spring and fall application take care of it for good?

northeastlawn
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 1000-3000

Post by northeastlawn » September 29th, 2020, 12:22 pm

I believe its designed to slowly kill off the poa-a and poa triv. If a golf course killed off all of its poa-a in a four weeks stretch, you would be left with unsightly bare spots and need to quickly over-seed. From the little I read it kills the poa-a and poa-triv over multiple seasons.

So thats why I feel POA-Cure won't be a solution for us home users anytime soon.

My plan this year is to get the lawn growing well in the fall, the fall fertilizing has put the poa-a the survived in over drive, I will hopefully be able to hand pull a lot of poa-a in the spring when the seed heads show them selves.

I know Tenacity is available, but for the poa-a that makes it through the winter it doesn't seem to even bleach it that well with a single app when i have used it. I need the kbg to spread and be healthy in June, dumping all the tenacity on the lawn slows the spreading. Its a huge catch-22.

I was really hoping poacure could get me out of this cycle.

napper

Post by napper » October 6th, 2020, 10:07 pm

Poa Control
Provides PRE and POST control of Poa annua

Controls both annual and perennial biotypes

Controls herbicide-resistant Poa annua

Controls Poa trivialis

Tolerance on turf
Turfgrass Tolerance
Tolerant to established cool- and warm-season turfgrasses

Slow action
Slow Action
Can provide smooth conversion from Poa-infested to Poa-free surfaces

Masbustelo
Grass Type: Mazama KBG

Post by Masbustelo » October 7th, 2020, 3:47 am

Why is it not being released for homeowners? Are there potential environmental problems? Is the active chemical dangerous in some way?

Pway

Post by Pway » October 9th, 2020, 5:04 pm

Masbustelo wrote:
October 7th, 2020, 3:47 am
Why is it not being released for homeowners? Are there potential environmental problems? Is the active chemical dangerous in some way?
There are many products that are only approved for sod farms and golf courses, others for licensed professionals and not residential use. Many people don’t read or adhere to labels or otherwise use some products irresponsibly that could cause environmental problems. See the mention earlier in this thread.

wis99ski
Grass Type: Front: Blueberry, Bewitched, Prosperity ---- Back: Bewitched, Everest, America

Post by wis99ski » April 3rd, 2021, 9:45 am

Pway wrote:
September 2nd, 2020, 2:37 pm
Just want to provide a quick update on the use of Poacure at the golf course I belong to. The area that the grounds super used it on (a fairly long par four fairway and rough) is pristine and no reemergence of Poa Trivialis. The guy, and I, are really impressed.
Pway how is the the area with Triv looking this spring? Given we are greening up in most areas I am curious.

Pway

Post by Pway » April 4th, 2021, 9:11 am

wis99ski wrote:
April 3rd, 2021, 9:45 am
Pway wrote:
Pway how is the the area with Triv looking this spring? Given we are greening up in most areas I am curious.
I’m curious too! The course opens next weekend and I should get there midweek following the opening so I’ll report back.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » April 4th, 2021, 10:30 am

I've got almost all of the data I need to do a 2021 update to the PoaCure threads. This year I'll be able to write about what they plan to try to get approval for in the future, what the pricing is, and what the application rates/frequency might look like.

Teaser: hitting the lottery might be a good first step.

wis99ski
Grass Type: Front: Blueberry, Bewitched, Prosperity ---- Back: Bewitched, Everest, America

Post by wis99ski » April 4th, 2021, 1:57 pm

andy10917 wrote:
April 4th, 2021, 10:30 am
I've got almost all of the data I need to do a 2021 update to the PoaCure threads. This year I'll be able to write about what they plan to try to get approval for in the future, what the pricing is, and what the application rates/frequency might look like.

Teaser: hitting the lottery might be a good first step.
Andy the beginning of your response evoked hope and confidence followed by a big sigh...

(Side note: my neighbor implied that if Triv is so resilient why don’t “you just allow this Triv grass to take over the whole lawn and have your lawn that way..”

Pway

Post by Pway » April 12th, 2021, 6:52 pm

wis99ski wrote:
April 3rd, 2021, 9:45 am
Pway wrote:
So the fairway that was treated was markedly better but there still were some triv spots. Also, I noticed triv on several other untreated fairways this year. I haven’t spoken to the grounds super yet but I believe Poacure needs several applications. So I’d say good news but not a silver bullet, plus it’s still not for residential use.

wis99ski

Post by wis99ski » September 13th, 2021, 12:53 am

Does anyone have any further updates? Anyone able to see further results up close. The POA is awakening from its slumber………

wis99ski

Post by wis99ski » January 4th, 2022, 11:42 pm

Any updates?

PSU4ME
Grass Type: Front: Bewitched/Midnight/Everglade Back: Midnight/Diva/Everest

Post by PSU4ME » January 5th, 2022, 9:11 am

We have a young super at our golf club that I wanna ask about this, he can definitely use it on our course!

I’m in the same boat as Northeastlawn, no matter how much effort I’m putting in (obviously not enough) I still can’t rid my lawn of either but a sustained, metered approach is something I’d be very interested in, even if it just keeps it at bay vs spreading to bigger patches.