Velocity results so far and questions

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Re: Velocity results so far and questions

Post by Green » August 3rd, 2017, 10:10 pm

Speaking of seeds...

I'm about to do an experiment using Triv seeds that I collected this Spring when it seeded. I'm going to see if they're viable. If they turn out to germinate, despite the lawn having been cut at normal height and sprayed with Velocity, that will give us some important information about how Triv spreads.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » August 3rd, 2017, 10:13 pm

This is in more of a shaded area.
Bingo.

Green

Post by Green » August 3rd, 2017, 10:15 pm

^Uh oh!

Ok, so what's been your experience with Triv in shaded areas? Is it a lot harder to kill than in sunny areas?

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » August 3rd, 2017, 10:45 pm

Very hard.

Green

Post by Green » August 3rd, 2017, 11:27 pm

Updated list of applications so far:

4/20/17: 0.7g/gal Velocity (note: roughly 1oz/acre)

4/24/17: 0.4g/gal Velocity

4/27/17: 0.55g/gal Velocity

5/1/17: 0.7g/gal Velocity

5/9/17: 1.0g/gal Velocity

5/16/17: 1.2g/gal Velocity (note: roughly 1.75-1.85oz/acre)

5/30/17: 1.3g/gal Velocity

6/7/17: 1.62g/gal Velocity (main front)

6/15/7: 0.4g/gal (main front)
..........2.0g/gal (side front and back, and side blanket spray)

6/21/17: 2g/gal (main front)
6/25/17: 2.3g/gal (all except main front; side: blanket spray)

7/3/17: 2.94g.gal (front including blanket on main front)
7/4/17: 2.94g/gal (back spot and side blanket)

7/17/17: 2.94g/gal (back spot and blanket on main front and side)
7/25/17: 2.94g/gal (spot sprays on side and a bit on main front to use up mixture from 7/17)

8/3/17: 2.94g/gal (blanket on main front and side. Spot on side front and some parts of back)

Jackpine
Grass Type: N.W. Mi. KBG blend
Lawn Size: 3000-5000

Post by Jackpine » August 4th, 2017, 5:17 am

andy10917 wrote:
August 3rd, 2017, 10:45 pm
Very hard.
As in 2-3 years of hand pulling and RU'ing.

prog_dave
Grass Type: Northern Mix with multiple Crest/Baron/Blue Angel KBG Overseeds
Level: Some Experience

Post by prog_dave » August 4th, 2017, 9:21 am

Best of luck to you Green! If I hadn't damaged trees I'd still be trying. If you don't have anything in the vicinity that could be inadvertently harmed, there's no reason to quit.

This doesn't really matter since I'm done with the Velocity experiment, but I'm curious if you've got the time to respond: have you been bagging or mulch mowing in the area where Velocity is applied? I'm still not sure whether I was the cause of a good part of my problem by spreading viable triv seeds all over my yard.

Green

Post by Green » August 4th, 2017, 1:54 pm

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the heads-up about the tree damage which may or may not have been linked. Last night, I was spraying relatively close to a small tree that I'm taking care of, and it was a bit breezy. I tried to stay away from the area a bit so the lower leaves didn't get any Velocity blown on them.

I actually haven't bag-mowed even once in over 3 years. I will say that the Triv has been spreading and also appearing in new areas each year.

At this point, I'm unsure if I'd be doing a good or bad thing by overseeding the main front this year. On the one hand, it's recommended because the good grass competes with the Poa t and eliminates the gaps where it could invade again. On the other hand, the extra watering might make the Poa t. more likely to come back in the Fall. I think what I'm going to do, is start fertilizing again earlier this year. The weather seems to be cooperating. So, in another few days or a week, maybe I'll do some low-rate Milorganite in the problem areas. Based on how it goes, I'll then see which areas I really need to overseed.

The spreading ryegrass has been the most resilient to the Velocity in the mixes I have...but the way it spreads to fill in spots is not really aesthetic...it's still a bunch growth habit. I'm leaning toward overseeding.

Pway
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre

Post by Pway » August 5th, 2017, 9:25 am

Jackpine wrote:
August 4th, 2017, 5:17 am
andy10917 wrote:
August 3rd, 2017, 10:45 pm
Very hard.
As in 2-3 years of hand pulling and RU'ing.
I apologize if I'm hijacking the topic of treatment of poa trivialis with velocity but with regard to hand pulling triv, anything in particular to pay attention to? Over the last couple of years I've brought my poa aanua under "reasonable" control with mesotrione. This year I have several patches of triv that are maybe 3'x3' or so. I have some pots of KBG and was thinking of trying to pull or dig out the triv and plant the pots with some seed sprinkled in. Any thoughts or experiences with this? Thanks.

Green

Post by Green » August 6th, 2017, 11:09 pm

I'm not sure if anyone quite understands your question.

I was thinking of doing some hand pulling, too.

Pway

Post by Pway » August 7th, 2017, 11:48 am

Green wrote:
August 6th, 2017, 11:09 pm
I'm not sure if anyone quite understands your question.

I was thinking of doing some hand pulling, too.
Hi Green. I wasn't very clear. I was asking if there are any best practices related to removal of triv without using chemicals. Dig it out to a certain depth? Extend the area being dug out a few inches? replace with pots and or seed? etc. I know there is no magic bullet but thought I'd try to learn from others that have pulled/dug out triv.

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity

Post by ken-n-nancy » August 16th, 2017, 12:12 am

Pway wrote:
August 5th, 2017, 9:25 am
I apologize if I'm hijacking the topic of treatment of poa trivialis with velocity but with regard to hand pulling triv, anything in particular to pay attention to? Over the last couple of years I've brought my poa aanua under "reasonable" control with mesotrione. This year I have several patches of triv that are maybe 3'x3' or so. I have some pots of KBG and was thinking of trying to pull or dig out the triv and plant the pots with some seed sprinkled in. Any thoughts or experiences with this? Thanks.
I haven't tried the only-physical-removal method.

The only thing I've have success with in getting rid of trivialis patches is to kill them off with two applications of glyphosate in either spring or fall -- sprayed on the entire patch of visible trivialis and about 6-8 inches further all the way around into the good grass. (Yes, if one has a 1'x1' area, I'd suggest spraying a patch of about 2.5'x2.5'). In about 7 days, it will all look dead. Wait about 1-2 more weeks, and new trivialis plants will be growing in the dead areas. Hit it with glyphosate again. Then, either scalp down to soil level and re-seed, or transplant in KBG plugs or turf patches from a happier section of your lawn.

I do recall seeing a thread a couple years ago from a member who cut out the trivialis patches to about a 2" depth and planted new sod in those spots. The approach was successful for at least the first year; I don't know if the poa trivialis returned later.

Green

Post by Green » September 12th, 2017, 11:03 pm

After a couple more applications up until about mid Summer (I'll eventually update the list), I realized I was going to have to overseed due to the herbicide damage and also holes where Triv was. So, the past few weeks I've been overseeding section by section, and plugging some small areas. I'm really hoping that this entire approach works. I keep reading that Velocity is more effective with overseeding after anyway...so it should do well.

The crazy thing is that I've recently noticed some new Triv spots I never saw before in the back. I've never seen Triv pop up (or even just be green and growing) from August in early September before...but this year has been average in rainfall and not super hot, so in a way I'm not surprised. I'm hoping those new spots are small enough that I can get them with just manual removal and putting new turf into the spots. Good thing I'm growing extra grass in a tray right now. I think for very small spots, removing might be the way to go.

Pway

Post by Pway » September 13th, 2017, 7:56 am

http://turf.unl.edu/turfinfo/7-25_Velocity.pdf

Sorry KNN, I lost track of this thread. I ended up digging out a 3'x4' patch and replaced it with sod and seed. We'll see. By the way, according to Univ of Nebraska, velocity is no longer in production, at least temporarily.

Green

Post by Green » September 13th, 2017, 2:18 pm

Pway wrote:
September 13th, 2017, 7:56 am
By the way, according to Univ of Nebraska, velocity is no longer in production, at least temporarily.
Wow. I wonder if non-pros like ourselves should bother emailing him.