Party June 17th, looking for a temporary boost

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
VitoXI
Grass Type: Kentucky Bluegrass
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Party June 17th, looking for a temporary boost

Post by VitoXI » May 22nd, 2017, 10:05 am

My wife's baby shower is June 17th. If she gets compliments, I get more support for buying expensive lawn stuff.

I'm not battling any major issues, my lawn is in pretty good shape, I'm just looking for advice on how to make a pretty good kbg lawn look it's best on a specific day. Fert application timing? Iron supplementation? Something else?

Thanks!

kbgfarmer
Grass Type: Bewitched Kentucky bluegrass
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Re: Party June 17th, looking for a temporary boost

Post by kbgfarmer » May 22nd, 2017, 4:40 pm

Ammonium sulfate is known to cause overnight greenup. Fast acting fertilizer with sulfur in the mix. Unlike urea it doesn't require activation by soil microbes and is readily available nitrogen. Should give the lawn a nice boost of dark green color assuming no major deficiencies of other nutrients and water. From my own experience the green from ammonium sulfate is deeper than with urea but urea is also relatively fast acting.

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » May 22nd, 2017, 4:50 pm

Make sure you're watering it appropriately leading up to the party.

A few days before the party - weed and edge the beds, especially where people will walk.

The day before the party, give it a good cut and do the trim - don't remove more than 1/3 so the blades don't yellow the next day. Go slower so it is more even and you don't miss blades, and the lines are perfect. Apply spray iron afterwards - ferrous ammonium sulfate (FAS) is good - read the article - but don't go too heavy so it looks grey. You'll see a color deepening of one or two levels within an hour or two of application.

The morning of the party, give it a light watering so that the grass has enough time to dry out beforehand but looks lush and is more resilient to traffic when your guests arrive that evening - softer on the feet - but not damp.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by Green » May 22nd, 2017, 4:53 pm

Have you done any Spring N yet?

If not, 0.25 lb/K of fast-release N in the form that KBG farmer mentioned, the proper number of days before for maximal action.

Or Milorganite the end of next week.

Or spray iron treatment as mentioned a couple of days before.

Or some combination of all.

g-man
Grass Type: Mix (mostly KBG)

Post by g-man » May 22nd, 2017, 9:58 pm

I'm sure my wife won't care how the lawn looks for her baby shower. She will care that the baby's room is painted, all the frames are mounted on the wall and the crib assembled, so she could show her friends.

I would apply Milo soon to start the green up and do the edging per HGL. Proper edging really makes a difference.

mitten
Grass Type: Midnight, Diva, Everglade KBG, plus Fiesta4 PR and Zodiac Fescue
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Some Experience

Post by mitten » May 23rd, 2017, 12:11 am

I love this question and the responses were great. Congrats on the little one! Enjoy!

VitoXI
Grass Type: Kentucky Bluegrass

Post by VitoXI » May 25th, 2017, 8:24 am

g-man wrote:
May 22nd, 2017, 9:58 pm
I'm sure my wife won't care how the lawn looks for her baby shower. She will care that the baby's room is painted, all the frames are mounted on the wall and the crib assembled, so she could show her friends.
You are 100% correct here. I spent the last few weekends installing a ceiling fan, putting up decals, painting, assembling furniture, etc. I'm ahead of the game on that front . Priorities!

I'll time my milo application to peak June 17th. I'm keen on the foliar iron application, but I'm frankly terrible and inconsistent with my sprayer, so I might chicken out on that one.

Thanks for all the advice!