Triclopyr

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
d-bone
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Triclopyr

Post by d-bone » May 22nd, 2017, 4:48 pm

I have used Ortho WBG CCO and also the Ortho WBG Poison Ivy and Tough Brush Killer (at the rate recommended on the CCO label, since both products contain the same 8% Triclopyr.

With about an acre of grass, and 2 applications about 10-14 days apart, even looking for the best deals and finding the Poison Ivy and Tough Brush Killer at about the same price for twice the product as the CCO, it still costs about $100 per application. That adds up.

I did find this: http://www.seedranch.com/Triclopyr-4-He ... gallon.htm
Its a gallon of Triclopyr at 61.6% Triclopyr. Doing the easy math, using the Ortho products, I am putting down about 15oz of Triclopyr (32oz of product x 6 bottles of product for the entire lawn x .08 = 15.36).
If I were to buy this product, and use the same amount of Triclopyr (not the same amount of product, the same amount of Triclopyr only), I would be using about a fifth of a gallon (15.36 / .616 = 24.9oz of product).

That is signifcant savings at about $14 per application instead of a little over $100 with the WBG

Any thoughts on why this wouldn't make sense to go this direction for someone with a larger lawn??

Thanks for the feedback!

TimmyG
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Experienced

Re: Triclopyr

Post by TimmyG » May 22nd, 2017, 5:28 pm

No sense why it wouldn't make sense to save money.
See viewtopic.php?f=4&t=20818&p=286309#p286309

Any reason that you're always doing blanket sprays? That's the driving factor in your cost analysis.

d-bone

Post by d-bone » May 22nd, 2017, 5:38 pm

Thanks for the response!

The biggest reasons for the blanket sprays is that I have the rate dialed down. With the big yard, there are significant areas that have some weed - either clover, ground ivy, or dandelions (I know 2,4-D works well against the dandelions, but I have the ivy and clover too, might as well get them all at the same time with the triclopyr). I would estimate that I would be spraying more than half the lawn anyways, sections at a time, and then it would be more difficult to determine the exact size of the area to be sprayed, and calculate out what I need for that area, and work on getting that rate down consistently for that area, for more than half the yard, multiple sections at a time, rather than just hooking the trailer sprayer up to the mower and getting it all done with at once..

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » May 22nd, 2017, 8:48 pm

Any thoughts on why this wouldn't make sense to go this direction for someone with a larger lawn??
Welcome to the Dark Side.

McLovin
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Novice

Post by McLovin » May 22nd, 2017, 9:02 pm

Swamp_Fox
Grass Type: KBG, Creeping Red, Rye

Post by Swamp_Fox » May 23rd, 2017, 5:41 am

andy10917 wrote:
May 22nd, 2017, 8:48 pm
Welcome to the Dark Side.
Amen! Specialty herbicides aside, I only buy in 2.5 gallon containers. The math just makes too good of sense not to.

Billy
Grass Type: Cool season and warm season

Post by Billy » May 23rd, 2017, 9:19 am

I might add to this conversation to make sure that you're comparing apples to apples for the active ingredients. Just comparing the percentages won't work, since there can be different additives or formulations that affect the percentages. For example, WBG CCO (and the Poison Ivy killer) use the triethylamine salt formulation of triclopyr, while Alligare Triclopyr 4 (the product d-bone linked to) uses the butoxyethyl ester formulation. The apples to apples comparison is found underneath the percentage listing, where it says "acid equivalent" (usually abbreviated "ae"). The WBG CCO product contains 0.49# triclopyr ae/gallon, while the Seed Ranch product contains 4# triclopyr ae/gallon.

Another thing would be to compare the active ingredients amounts in the application rates. The maximum label use rate for WBG CCO is 1 fl oz/200 sq ft. This comes out to delivering 0.8# triclopyr ae/acre. The maximum labeled use rate for Alligare Triclopyr 4 is 1 qt/A, which comes out to 1# triclopyr ae/Acre -- more than the WBG CCO product.

d-bone

Post by d-bone » May 23rd, 2017, 10:50 am

thank you for the feedback, everyone!

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » May 23rd, 2017, 12:22 pm

+1 to andy and Billy.

I use 24D and Triclopyr products you buy at your local TSC / Rural King / co-op for small farmers on my 1.4 acres at substantial cost savings over the home-owner branded products.

The stuff is FAR more potent! The % of main AI is only one factor to consider. The labels are less dummy-proof than the ones for homeowners, targeting the educated farmer or pro. Often, they show application amounts for the entire year, assuming you know doing so all at once will likely result in visible damage. And, I personally think they recommend rates that are higher than necessary for homeowner turf blanker sprays most times. Their target audience is farmers who aren't as concerned about visible damage on lawns - they are most concerned with how to apply it properly to crops. The plus side is you also get aerial application advice! :D :D :D

Anyways - use caution, start slow - and welcome to the dark side of large area management! aahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa