Will it hurt my yard to spray it with Chelated Iron?

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
Casutherland
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

Will it hurt my yard to spray it with Chelated Iron?

Post by Casutherland » June 8th, 2017, 5:22 pm

Not sure if its 100% necessary but I have some patches of grass that are a lighter green/yellow and was told by a landscape designer to try some chelated iron. Would it hurt to apply this to the entire yard?

Thanks in advance!

Lawnnut
Grass Type: Kentucky
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Will it hurt my yard to spray it with Chelated Iron?

Post by Lawnnut » June 8th, 2017, 7:20 pm

Casutherland wrote:
June 8th, 2017, 5:22 pm
Not sure if its 100% necessary but I have some patches of grass that are a lighter green/yellow and was told by a landscape designer to try some chelated iron. Would it hurt to apply this to the entire yard?

Thanks in advance!
I think it will stain things like driveways and walkways, also I wouldn't do it you have to spary it almost perfectly to get a good application. Again I said "I think " I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. But the risk is bigger they award .

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.

Post by turf_toes » June 8th, 2017, 7:35 pm

Lots of folks here spray iron on their lawns. I'd suggest posting a thread asking Morpheuspa or Andy10917.

Also, you should try searching FAS. That's a mix of iron and Ammonium Suffate.

Yes, you need to be careful around sidewalks and concrete driveways and curbs.

But you'll have a hard time matching the color any other way.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » June 8th, 2017, 8:56 pm

turf_toes wrote:
June 8th, 2017, 7:35 pm
Lots of folks here spray iron on their lawns. I'd suggest posting a thread asking Morpheuspa or Andy10917.
You bellowed, my Prince?

While you can certainly spray chelated iron, it's expensive and there's no real reason to do so--chelated iron is for high-pH soils, not spraying on leaves (although it'll certainly work). Fortunately for us, the leaf surface is acidic and iron is acidic and everybody is happy together.

Good old (cheap) ferrous sulfate, or ferrous sulfate plus ammonium sulfate, or, really, ferrous sulfate plus some Miracle Gro, works a charm.

Mix 4 ounces of ferrous sulfate (heptahydrate is the normally-available stuff, but you might see monohydrate and that's fine as well) in 1 gallon of water with 1/4 to 1/2 oz of any dish soap or shampoo or BL Soil Conditioner.

You can add 2 oz of ammonium sulfate or 2 oz of Miracle Gro if you like. In a pinch, 1 oz of urea will also do if it absolutely has to.

Spray on 1,000 square feet of lawn. Don't irrigate now.

Do so early in the morning or later in the evening, and on a day when the next twenty four hours isn't going to go over 85 degrees. This stuff can burn.

For longer-term solutions, check your soil pH to make sure it's reasonable, and possibly add iron using Milorganite to slowly boost soil iron levels.

Billybob

Post by Billybob » June 8th, 2017, 9:13 pm

Does the ammonium sulfate add much nitrogen to the lawn? I'd like to do an app tomorrow but trying to stay away from nitrogen right now because of desease pressure, fungus...

Casutherland

Post by Casutherland » June 8th, 2017, 10:06 pm

MorpheusPA wrote:
June 8th, 2017, 8:56 pm
turf_toes wrote:
You bellowed, my Prince?

While you can certainly spray chelated iron, it's expensive and there's no real reason to do so--chelated iron is for high-pH soils, not spraying on leaves (although it'll certainly work). Fortunately for us, the leaf surface is acidic and iron is acidic and everybody is happy together.

Good old (cheap) ferrous sulfate, or ferrous sulfate plus ammonium sulfate, or, really, ferrous sulfate plus some Miracle Gro, works a charm.

Mix 4 ounces of ferrous sulfate (heptahydrate is the normally-available stuff, but you might see monohydrate and that's fine as well) in 1 gallon of water with 1/4 to 1/2 oz of any dish soap or shampoo or BL Soil Conditioner.

You can add 2 oz of ammonium sulfate or 2 oz of Miracle Gro if you like. In a pinch, 1 oz of urea will also do if it absolutely has to.

Spray on 1,000 square feet of lawn. Don't irrigate now.

Do so early in the morning or later in the evening, and on a day when the next twenty four hours isn't going to go over 85 degrees. This stuff can burn.

For longer-term solutions, check your soil pH to make sure it's reasonable, and possibly add iron using Milorganite to slowly boost soil iron levels.
Well I just applied some before dark this evening. We have actually been in the low 80s and upper 70s the last two days. When I applied it, it was about 72 degrees. Perfect weather. Hoenstly, I was kind of bored and just wanted to get outside and do something to the yard. I had a bottle of Chelated Iron sitting in the garage (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0053 ... UTF8&psc=1) so I thought I would give it a go. The bottle says 1 pint per 1000 sq ft of turf. So I went ahead and put about 2.2 pints mixed with 2 gallons of water in my hand pump sprayer. It put it out with one of the soil teejet sprayers that applies it with a thicker stream.

Thoughts? Think Ill be good? Will I see results in a few days? Do I still need to water this in, in the morning?

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » June 9th, 2017, 11:42 am

Nitrogen additions are minimal (and you could just skip the nitrogen source if you want). It supplies enough N to help synthesize chlorophyll and darken the color, but not much more than that.

With or without iron, results should start to show within the first 24 hours and be complete by about 3 days in. You can irrigate after 2 days or so if you want, but I'd avoid it before that if you can. If it rains earlier than that, you'll still get a good percentage of the color change, and dew is absolutely no problem.

Leifcat1
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 5000-10000

Post by Leifcat1 » July 25th, 2017, 9:53 pm

MorpheusPA wrote:
turf_toes wrote:

Does it make any difference what type of Miracle Gro is used? Some Miracle Gro products use only only urea while others utilize urea and Ammonium Sulfate.

Also, would 2oz of granular Miracle Gro equal 2oz of liquid Miracle Gro?

PeterS

Post by PeterS » July 26th, 2017, 7:23 pm

Casutherland wrote:
June 8th, 2017, 10:06 pm
Well I just applied some before dark this evening. We have actually been in the low 80s and upper 70s the last two days. When I applied it, it was about 72 degrees. Perfect weather. Hoenstly, I was kind of bored and just wanted to get outside and do something to the yard. I had a bottle of Chelated Iron sitting in the garage (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0053 ... UTF8&psc=1) so I thought I would give it a go. The bottle says 1 pint per 1000 sq ft of turf. So I went ahead and put about 2.2 pints mixed with 2 gallons of water in my hand pump sprayer. It put it out with one of the soil teejet sprayers that applies it with a thicker stream.

Thoughts? Think Ill be good? Will I see results in a few days? Do I still need to water this in, in the morning?
I did basically the same thing you did, but about a week ago and I'm pretty pleased with the results. Irrigated 24 hours after application. Just did chelated iron @ 1 pint/k along with NIS. Probably will go the FAS route once I use up the chelated iron I have on hand (probably another year or two yet).

Leifcat1
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 5000-10000

Post by Leifcat1 » July 27th, 2017, 10:38 pm

MorpheusPA wrote:

This is great advice but I have one question. What kind of Miracle Gro is supported? Liquid or granular? Also, would 2 oz of liquid Miracle Gro be the same as 2 oz of granular Miracle Gro?

Thank you!