Serenade Method of Application

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
lawndad
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Serenade Method of Application

Post by lawndad » June 18th, 2017, 9:42 pm

I started the Serenade program this season and I'm spraying every 7-14 days with a pump Harbor Freight backpack sprayer and fan tipped nozzle.

The reason for the post is to see if there is a quicker alternative to applying this. I read on here that the fine mist spray is best to adhere to the plants. I also saw that a soil drench is another alternative but most of my diseases are foliar based. The hose end application tank probably doesn't get a fine enough mist, correct? Is there a good one out there with a nice misting setting?

I wanted to see if anyone has perfected this application but a bit quicker. It's a nice program but just takes too long and too often.

If not anything quicker in the liquid field is there a granular product or is that just going back to synthetic fungicides at a preventative rate?

Thanks-

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Re: Serenade Method of Application

Post by Green » June 18th, 2017, 10:45 pm

I used to think I had to wave the wand back and forth vigorously while walking, but I've since discovered it's not necessary. Not doing so saves a lot of time and saves my elbow from wear and tear, too.

Paul
Grass Type: Bewitched KBG Monostand
Level: Advanced

Post by Paul » June 19th, 2017, 12:01 pm

I use a Chapin G362 Professional All Purpose Hose End Sprayer to apply Serenade. It takes me 45 minutes to do 13,000 sqft. Works like a charm.

rtomek
Grass Type: Elite KBG Sod (unknown cultivars)
Lawn Size: 1000-3000

Post by rtomek » June 19th, 2017, 4:17 pm

I think the Chapin hose end sprayer mist is good enough to hit every blade. The only downside is that you lose a small amount of precision, which is why people say they wouldn't apply something like certainty with a hose-end sprayer.

I've done it both ways in the past month. Work-wise it's pumping and tank cleanup vs dragging hoses around and reeling them in. When I use the backpack sprayer with serenade I mix it at double rate, open up the nozzle to a high flow rate, and spray large areas as if I had a hose-end sprayer in my hand while moving quickly to spray at half the typical gal/1000sqft rate. Both methods end up taking about the same amount of time.

bernstem
Grass Type: Front: Solar Eclipse/Award/Bewitched/Moonlight SLT/Prosperity Back: Solar Eclipse Monostand + Bewitched (shade)

Post by bernstem » June 19th, 2017, 8:52 pm

I always used a hose end sprayer for Serenade. Accuracy is not critical. I use a backpack with a calibrated fan tip for Heritage. Accuracy matters a lot more at the much smaller doses of Heritage.

Green

Post by Green » June 19th, 2017, 9:13 pm

I'm new to using Serenade, and have a history of minor to moderate fungal disease in July and August. I used my hand can to spray it even though it's more work, because I don't like dragging hoses, and I'm a bit (probably non-justifiably) paranoid about the possibility of the (non-toxic to humans) bacteria getting aerosolized or going back into the water (even though I have a cheap vacuum breaker I can use). Short version: I'm replacing one type of lazy with another type of lazy.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre

Post by andy10917 » June 19th, 2017, 9:42 pm

I personally believe that when it comes to herbicides, fungicides, nutrients, etc that are best-applied by foliar means, a very-fine spray is more effective. The droplet size from a backpack sprayer may have a droplet that is 100X smaller than a hose-end sprayer. Does getting more spray/AI on the target foliage matter enough to you to do the extra work and time? Only you can decide that, but don't invent pseudoscience that just isn't so to back up your argument. I'll buy that you may think that your time is best applied elsewhere, if you make that case.

lawndad

Post by lawndad » June 19th, 2017, 9:49 pm

Thanks for all the advice. I was thinking that Serenade already makes the ready to spray hose attachment for lawns so that method has to be good. Andy, why do you think they make it that way?

It takes me about an hour and a half with measuring it out and clean up using the backpack sprayer. I wanted to definitely cut it down. I will be looking into that Chapin G362 Professional All Purpose Hose End Sprayer.

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » June 19th, 2017, 10:06 pm

I was thinking that Serenade already makes the ready to spray hose attachment for lawns so that method has to be good.
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahaha! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Thank you for the laugher. Very funny!
Andy, why do you think they make it that way?
For the same reason that they make weed-and-feed products that don't work well, tell people to pour on the Nitrogen in Spring, and make high-Potassium winterizers that have been disproven for two decades. Because people will buy them, and are disinclined to clean or invest in a backpack sprayer. Follow the money.
It takes me about an hour and a half with measuring it out and clean up using the backpack sprayer. I wanted to definitely cut it down. I will be looking into that Chapin G362 Professional All Purpose Hose End Sprayer.

I'm clueless as to the duration - I do a 16K backyard (four 4gal fills typically) and cleaning in under that time, but best of luck.

Green

Post by Green » June 19th, 2017, 10:48 pm

Lawndad...maybe you're doing something unnecessary that eats up your time when spraying. It could be your spray technique, how many refills you use, your preparation time, whatever. Then again, I've never timed myself, and am pretty lackadaisical when it comes to spraying in the warmer weather...go inside and get a drink, look up application rates online...go back outside, do some more...come in and have a snack...back out and start picking up sticks or trimming...do some mowing in another area...go back to spraying the other section later or the next day.

lawndad

Post by lawndad » June 20th, 2017, 11:03 pm

Green wrote:
June 19th, 2017, 10:48 pm
Lawndad...maybe you're doing something unnecessary that eats up your time when spraying. It could be your spray technique, how many refills you use, your preparation time, whatever. Then again, I've never timed myself, and am pretty lackadaisical when it comes to spraying in the warmer weather...go inside and get a drink, look up application rates online...go back outside, do some more...come in and have a snack...back out and start picking up sticks or trimming...do some mowing in another area...go back to spraying the other section later or the next day.

I tried to calibrate my sprayer. I found that It takes about 8 1/2-9 1/2 minutes to spray 1 gallon of product with a fan tip nozzle. I have roughly 6k sq. feet of grass so that's about 55 minutes if I don't stop spraying. I have a 4 gallon tank so I fill it up to 4 gallons and then I have two other 1 gallon containers that I mix and then add as I need it. So right there is an hour plus mixing and clean up. About an hour and a half is a good estimate. I just think it takes too long to spray this all out. Thoughts?

I attached a pic of this hose end sprayer that I found laying around that has a "misting" setting. Don't laugh but it's a Brookstone car wash hose end. I was considering doing some tests with that and seeing...

lawndad

Post by lawndad » June 20th, 2017, 11:12 pm

andy10917 wrote:
June 19th, 2017, 10:06 pm
I was thinking that Serenade already makes the ready to spray hose attachment for lawns so that method has to be good.
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahaha!

Thank you for the laugher. Very funny!
Andy, why do you think they make it that way?
For the same reason that they make weed-and-feed products that don't work well, tell people to pour on the Nitrogen in Spring, and make high-Potassium winterizers that have been disproven for two decades. Because people will buy them, and are disinclined to clean or invest in a backpack sprayer. Follow the money.

I'm clueless as to the duration - I do a 16K backyard (four 4gal fills typically) and cleaning in under that time, but best of luck.
Glad I could give you a good laugh! :good:

I only have 6k sq. ft. so how you do 16k in less time sounds like I'm doing something way wrong...?

It takes me 8 1/2- 9 1/2 min. to spray 1 gallon of product out which is about 55 minutes for 6k sq. ft., if I want that 1 gallon per 1,000 sq. ft. My spraying width is about 19". I use a 4 gallon tank sprayer (Harbor Freight pump) and fill it to 4 gallons and then another two 1 gallon containers I have ready to dump in as I get low. That gives me my 6 gallons of water to 4 oz of Serenade. Sound right?

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » June 21st, 2017, 7:41 am

A 19" spray path? There's the difference. I'm 6' 6" tall, and I added a 2' extension to the spray wand to get it near the soil. I can do a spray width of almost 6' wide as I back up.

rtomek
Grass Type: Elite KBG Sod (unknown cultivars)
Lawn Size: 1000-3000

Post by rtomek » June 21st, 2017, 2:39 pm

I agree, that sounds way too long. I usually set aside 40 minutes for my lawn that is about 7500 sqft for spraying FAS + PGR. That includes getting everything out, mixing the chemicals, spraying, and cleanup. For Serenade alone it's more like 20-30 minutes.

Green

Post by Green » June 21st, 2017, 4:43 pm

Andy...quick question related to your most recent post in this thread. Since I'm average height for a guy, should I be holding a fan tip at about knee height (2 feet off the ground) for best spray pattern in general? From what you've said, it sounds like I could get away with holding it a bit higher if I wanted to. But should I?

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » June 21st, 2017, 5:16 pm

I have to admit I don't know how high I hold it - after years and years of doing it, it "looks like the right spray pattern" -- nice and even in coverage and consistent with my pace. I do know that I'll drop it lower to the ground and spray more parallel to the soil on breezier days. Hope that all helps.

Billybob

Post by Billybob » June 21st, 2017, 7:41 pm

I never time myself. It's my hobby, that's the whole point in having a hobby. Relax and enjoy being outdoors doing what you like to do

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » June 21st, 2017, 8:42 pm

AMEN!!!!

Green

Post by Green » June 21st, 2017, 9:07 pm

andy10917 wrote:
June 21st, 2017, 5:16 pm
I have to admit I don't know how high I hold it - after years and years of doing it, it "looks like the right spray pattern" -- nice and even in coverage and consistent with my pace. I do know that I'll drop it lower to the ground and spray more parallel to the soil on breezier days. Hope that all helps.
Yeah, that's pretty consistent with what I've been doing. I practiced a bit on hardscape tonight after rinsing out my sprayer. I was pretty close to even coverage the way I had been doing it.

lawndad

Post by lawndad » June 21st, 2017, 9:26 pm

andy10917 wrote:
June 21st, 2017, 7:41 am
A 19" spray path? There's the difference. I'm 6' 6" tall, and I added a 2' extension to the spray wand to get it near the soil. I can do a spray width of almost 6' wide as I back up.
6' wide! Can you post a pic of your set up and sprayer? I'd like to see what you're talking about.

I don't think there is much adding to my cheapo Harbor Freight sprayer. It was $24 - nothing great. What do you mean to get it near the soil? I thought you want a nice wide, even swath and not on top and in the soil...?