Urea Spreader Setting

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
PSU4ME
Grass Type: Front: Bewitched/Midnight/Everglade Back: Midnight/Diva/Everest
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Urea Spreader Setting

Post by PSU4ME » June 20th, 2017, 10:00 pm

I bought a John Deere 50# push spreader (model # LP21785) and given that most stuff I apply isn't listed on their sheet in terms of a spreader setting, I've been able to test my guesses setting on my dogleg area where I could afford a mistake.

I'm wanting to do the aggressive fall regimen this year and I will need to apply 1lb/k of urea, six times and then the winterizer.

My booklet says to use spreader setting 12 for 1lb per k of generic fertilizers not listed.

My question is does anyone else have this or a similar spreader and know a tried/tested setting for the urea? I believe earthway makes them for JD.

Appreciate any thoughts.

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Urea Spreader Setting

Post by turf_toes » June 20th, 2017, 10:11 pm

No one will be able to answer that question as it would be nothing more than a guess.

How fast do you walk? A slow walker will apply more fertilizer at the same setting than a fast walker.

Generic fertilizer? What's that?

10-10-10?

The setting used for 10-10-10 will definitely differ from 42-0-0.

g-man
Grass Type: Mix (mostly KBG)

Post by g-man » June 20th, 2017, 10:24 pm

I weight the urea and don't use a spreader setting.

PSU4ME

Post by PSU4ME » June 20th, 2017, 10:29 pm

Well since there is no exact number possible which I understand I guess I'm looking for someone's experience which Would provide me a starting point otherwise I'll have to try the 12 setting.

And generic fertilizer was "generic fertilizers" which I'm assuming was JD's attempt at a catch all rather than a specific like 10-10-10.

PSU4ME

Post by PSU4ME » June 20th, 2017, 10:31 pm

g-man wrote:
June 20th, 2017, 10:24 pm
I weight the urea and don't use a spreader setting.
But you still have to pick a setting to spread it evenly right? I'll likely weigh it too, try the 12 setting and go from there............was hoping to not have to guess with urea though.

Thanks

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » June 20th, 2017, 10:45 pm

You don't guess. Weigh out the fertilizer and set the spreader on the lowest setting that allows the prills through. If you have to go around twice, then the next time go to a wider opening. You'll figure it out, and TT is right. The "12" setting is meaningless. The only thing it represents is more than 11 and less than 13. Seriously.

double_e5
Grass Type: Northern Mix

Post by double_e5 » June 20th, 2017, 10:49 pm

If you're spoon feeding it at 1 lb/K, just do what you've been doing in the dogleg area. You won't make a big enough mistake to hurt anything.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around what weighing urea has to do with the spreader setting...

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » June 20th, 2017, 10:55 pm

I'm still trying to wrap my head around what weighing urea has to do with the spreader setting...
Quite simply, weighing the product tells you when you are done. If I'm applying Urea at 1 lb/K to a 15K area, I am done when 15 lbs have been applied. Whether I apply it in one pass or three, I'm done when the 15 lbs are gone. I like to do 2 perpendicular passes, so perfection is when I find the spreader setting that applies 15 lbs in two passes.

g-man
Grass Type: Mix (mostly KBG)

Post by g-man » June 20th, 2017, 11:05 pm

Applying too little is not a problem with urea. Applying too much is because of the wrong setting could kill your grass. By measuring how much you need for your yard, you provide yourself with a high level of assurance of not applying too much as long as you use the smallest setting that will flow. Just be careful of not tipping the spreader.

Since it is a weekly application, once I figure out the weight, I count the scoops needed get the weight. This speeds up the application process for that year. I re check if I open a new bag of a different brand since the prill size does change.

double_e5

Post by double_e5 » June 20th, 2017, 11:08 pm

andy10917 wrote:
June 20th, 2017, 10:55 pm
Quite simply, weighing the product tells you when you are done. If I'm applying Urea at 1 lb/K to a 15K area, I am done when 15 lbs have been applied. Whether I apply it in one pass or three, I'm done when the 15 lbs are gone. I like to do 2 perpendicular passes, so perfection is when I find the spreader setting that applies 15 lbs in two passes.
Yeah, I get that. I didn't explain myself well. I don't get the not using the spreader setting part.

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » June 21st, 2017, 8:01 am

You obviously haven't bought a bag of Urea yet. It doesn't come with pictures and instructions on the bag. It is a brown paper bag that says "Loveland 46-0-0", and nothing more. There is no way that you're going to get spreader rates for that -- so how do you figure that you're going to set the spreader?

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by MorpheusPA » June 21st, 2017, 8:30 am

Mine just says "Urea 46-0-0 50 pounds" :-)

Spreader settings vary, even between examples of the same model. The organic I apply at 7.5 my mother applies at 6 for the same coverage. That's a pretty big difference when we both have exactly the same spreader!

Start low, and measure out 2.2 pounds (or whatever you want to apply per thousand square feet) of urea. Apply that over a measured one thousand square feet (a square 31.6 feet on a side).

Slowly turn it up as you cover each thousand until you reach the desired application, one or two passes.

And then realize that the next time you do this, your setting might differ. The prill could be a different size, the weather might be damper or drier, and so on...

Leifcat1
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 5000-10000

Post by Leifcat1 » June 21st, 2017, 9:18 am

I raised similar questions last year about a spreader setting for a Scott's drop spreader. What I ended up doing is breaking my yard up into several smaller zones. For instance, I had one zone ( a hell strip) that was roughly 1500 sq ft. I then measured out 1.5lbs of 46-0-0 and poured it in the spreader. Then, I put the spreader on one of the lower settings and went back and forth over the hell strip until I completely covered the area. Fortunately for me, I only had a little urea left in the spreader. I adjusted the spreader setting a little higher and used that setting for the rest of my lawn. It worked like a charm. The next week, I did the exact same thing, but this time, I used a rotary spreader. Once I got the spreader settings correct, I wrote them down in my lawn journal so that I wouldn't have to repeat the process again this year. I plan on buying the same brand of urea this year so, hopefully, last year's spreader settings should work for me again this year.

llO0DQLE
Grass Type: KBG and Creeping Red Fescue
Lawn Size: 1000-3000

Post by llO0DQLE » June 21st, 2017, 10:08 am

As others have said, measure how much you need to apply and try the lowest setting that lets the prills out and apply until gone. I've never agonized too much on getting it perfect in that I use it up in 1 or 2 complete passes. I figured that the prills don't all fall in the exact same spot so I wasn't worried if I did 2 or 2.5 passes, ie I didn't stop at my exact starting point. I've never had an issue but my yard was tiny. Chances for error may be bigger with a bigger yard. I'd suggest dividing the lawn into smaller sections until you gain experience and get a feel for the right spreader setting.

double_e5

Post by double_e5 » June 21st, 2017, 10:22 am

andy10917 wrote:
June 21st, 2017, 8:01 am
You obviously haven't bought a bag of Urea yet. It doesn't come with pictures and instructions on the bag. It is a brown paper bag that says "Loveland 46-0-0", and nothing more. There is no way that you're going to get spreader rates for that -- so how do you figure that you're going to set the spreader?
I have used urea and wasn't referring to instructions on the bag. In my mind, I was picturing g-man weighing the urea, just willy nilly setting the spreader, and whipping around the lawn for some reason. I couldn't wrap my thick skull around that.

I understand the point he was making now.

Riverpilot
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Post by Riverpilot » June 21st, 2017, 4:20 pm

I have the option of purchasing 46-0-0 at my local Site One (used to be John Deere). The guys bend over backwards to help me out anyway they can... only thing they couldn't find was SOP. lol :)

I have the Lesco spreader, which I think is the same version as yours. On the Lesco Urea, it states a setting of 12 for 2.1lbs of product or 1lb k/1,000. I asked the guys, and they stated to start at a setting of 9 (for half-rate) and go from there, for the Lesco 46-0-0.

But I completely agree with the folks above. Weigh the product out etc...

smast16
Grass Type: Front: TTTF & KBG Back: Salad Bar

Post by smast16 » June 21st, 2017, 8:17 pm

Not sure if this is useful for you since you have a lot more yard than me (in at ~5000) but I use the little handheld wizz spreader from scotts. I weigh out the product on a scale like others and do it in 1k sq ft sections. I just did it for sop and tsp.

llO0DQLE
Grass Type: KBG and Creeping Red Fescue
Lawn Size: 1000-3000

Post by llO0DQLE » June 21st, 2017, 9:12 pm

Exactly what I would do. I love that Wizz spreader. Just got one last week and used it to spread MAP and MOP. I wish there was a HI/LOW setting though for speed.

smast16
Grass Type: Front: TTTF & KBG Back: Salad Bar

Post by smast16 » June 21st, 2017, 9:25 pm

Did yours ever get stuck in the open position when a prill gets stuck in the shute? Mine does that occasionally.

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » June 21st, 2017, 9:48 pm

It happens to everyone when the prills are large.