Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
Zareth
Grass Type: Renovating to Midnight KBG and LS1200 Tall fescue
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Same problem every year!

Post by Zareth » June 21st, 2017, 10:03 am

Every year I have this issue.
I look out at my lawn and where a month ago it was super flat and uniform now I see all these low spots.
When I go inspect them and spread the grass out of the way everything is flat to the soil and melting.
Rotted out.
I had let my grass grow to about 6 inches and cut it back to 4 for the last month or so and I think maybe that's just way to tall for turf that gets any foot traffic?
In the areas I never walk in I don't have the issue..
So I cut it down to 3 inches today in case that helps..

I noticed a few grub holes so maybe that's an issue too.
I have aplied dylox several times and never did it seem to kill all my grubs so I just put down grubex yesterday but it might be too late in the year.

Thoughts?

llO0DQLE
Grass Type: KBG and Creeping Red Fescue
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

Re: Same problem every year!

Post by llO0DQLE » June 21st, 2017, 10:19 am

I'm curious to know what others think of this as well. I had this issue last year in my lawn and I think I asked about it but I can't remember if I opened up a thread about it or if I asked the question in another thread I started or somebody else's. I think I came to the conclusion that it could be pee burn from small animals or me accidentally dropping to much synthetic in one spot by having the prills spill from the bottom of my spreader while applying.

Zareth
Grass Type: Renovating to Midnight KBG and LS1200 Tall fescue
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by Zareth » June 21st, 2017, 10:24 am

llO0DQLE wrote:
June 21st, 2017, 10:19 am
I'm curious to know what others think of this as well. I had this issue last year in my lawn and I think I asked about it but I can't remember if I opened up a thread about it or if I asked the question in another thread I started or somebody else's. I think I came to the conclusion that it could be pee burn from small animals or me accidentally dropping to much synthetic in one spot by having the prills spill from the bottom of my spreader while applying.
For me personally I have only used milorganite this year, and I do have rabbits that will sit in one spot in the lawn for a long time, maybe while it's damp they're smashing it flat..
I feel like it's cultural for me. Like I don't have fungus this year I've gone heavy on fungicide but I was so scared of the summer I've been cutting super tall and I honestly think it's just not meant to be, the stems on my kbg are so thin once they lay down I don't think they can get back up with the weight of the rest of the grass on them and they just die

llO0DQLE
Grass Type: KBG and Creeping Red Fescue
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

Post by llO0DQLE » June 21st, 2017, 10:54 am

It could be that too. Yeah try 3 inches and cut by 4 inches to help prevent flopping and subsequent matting. I also had that as one of my possible explanations.