Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
daimbert
Grass Type: Hogan Blend TTTF
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Grub preventative....NY

Post by daimbert » June 21st, 2017, 7:46 pm

Hello everyone,

Was curious to know what product I can use to prevent grub worms. I've had issues for the last two years and wanted to throw down a preventative like merit but find that cannot be purchased in NY - even online. Only thing I can buy is the Bayer 24 hour grub killer. Should I just wait until late July/August or is there something I can buy?

Thank you

timingchainslipped
Grass Type: kbg
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Grub preventative....NY

Post by timingchainslipped » June 24th, 2017, 8:06 am

this is usually passed around as the definitive guide:

http://msue.anr.msu.edu/news/how_to_cho ... _your_lawn

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by ken-n-nancy » June 25th, 2017, 1:57 pm

You're on the late side for applying a grub preventative, but if you've had grub issues the last two years, late will be better than not at all! As mentioned in the Michigan State University article linked above, the preferred preventative is chlorantraniliprole applied in mid-April at our latitude. However, an application even now would be better than none at all.

The only widely available product I'm aware of with chlorantraniliprole as the active ingredient is the new formulation of Scott's Grub-Ex.

For imidacloprid (Merit), which will have greater effectiveness with this later application (chlorantraniliprole needs to be in the soil longer for full effectiveness), but you should still get it applied real soon, I'd suggest Bayer Advanced Complete Insect Killer. This product appears to be sold in NY state (maybe not on Long Island?) as it is showing up as available at many Lowes locations in the capital district.

Given the current date on the calendar, I'd recommend going with the imidacloprid product as soon as possible!

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by Green » June 25th, 2017, 2:50 pm

Being in Zone 7a, you're probably ~1 week ahead than we are as far as grubs. I used to use Imidacloprid in July and never had issues when it was used...so your timing is fine if you're using it and get it down in the next week or two as was suggested above...assuming it's sold in your area. Just make sure to follow the directions from that web page...you don't want to apply it within certain distances of wetlands, and you want to mow first if there are any flowers like clover or even seedheads in the grass. It should also be watered in as soon as possible.