Hot Spots

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Re: Hot Spots

Post by Green » July 13th, 2017, 10:58 pm

Hydretain is the same thing as the Moisture Manager product you mentioned. However, there are multiple versions. I think Moisture Manager is either Hydretain, Hydretain ES, or Hydretain ES Plus. You could tell by comparing the labels.

I bought the ES Plus II...for a lot less on Amazon (from A.M. Leonard) than SiteOne wanted for a more basic version of their Moisture Manager.

monty33
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by monty33 » July 14th, 2017, 7:02 am

timingchainslipped wrote:
July 12th, 2017, 8:12 pm
lawndad wrote:
July 12th, 2017, 12:17 pm
I didn't try the BLSC yet because it seems a bit much. You have to order all these things, mix them and apply. I was looking for something already done that I can apply.
sorry, this is not a valid excuse. you should be ashamed of yourself, young man/young lady!

you buy the lareth from brambleberry:
https://www.brambleberry.com/Sodium-Lau ... P3562.aspx
use 8oz/gallon

you buy the kelp and humic acid from kelp4less:
https://www.kelp4less.com/shop/kelp/
use 4oz/gallon
https://www.kelp4less.com/shop/humic-acid/
use 8oz/gallon

dry weight is similar to volume so either should work.

i keep the lareth separate from the other two.

stop wasting your time and money on the other junk. it won't cut it.
I was thinking about trying the BLSC out this year.

Any reason you don't use yucca extract with the lareth?

Do you premix a batch of each with water and keep it in a container for the year? How long will that keep? Or do you just mix what you need?

STL
Grass Type: TTTF

Post by STL » July 14th, 2017, 8:20 am

I bought some liquid yucca because it was cheaper but decided to forgo when it runs out due to cost. Morph has some recent posts where he mentioned the same thing.

I make a gallon of BLSC and a gallon of KH and store it for use. I've gone through one gallon of each so far this season as I'm applying every three weeks or so. Consensus seems to be that the mix will last at least one year. The dry ingredients should last even longer for making future batches.

STL

Post by STL » July 14th, 2017, 8:27 am

Also, for reference $58.10 with shipping got me enough SLS, kelp, and humid acid to make 8 gallons. That should last me at least two seasons, making 2 gallon batches at a time and applying every 3 weeks or so on ~8K. I think the liquid yucca was $15ish on Amazon and the paint mixer was $3 at harbor freight.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » July 14th, 2017, 8:30 am

I bought some liquid yucca because it was cheaper but decided to forgo when it runs out due to cost. Morph has some recent posts where he mentioned the same thing.
My experience related to Yucca is the opposite -- the work I've done related to BLSC2 showed that it is the most important component affecting water retention.

monty33
Grass Type: KBG

Post by monty33 » July 14th, 2017, 11:54 am

andy10917 wrote:
July 14th, 2017, 8:30 am
My experience related to Yucca is the opposite -- the work I've done related to BLSC2 showed that it is the most important component affecting water retention.
So what are the currently recommended mixtures for the BLSC and kelp?

STL

Post by STL » July 14th, 2017, 12:21 pm

andy10917 wrote:
Interesting. Thanks for the note Andy. I still have enough yucca left for this round, which should get me through the end if this season, and I'll certainly keep that in mind for the next batch/order. Looking forward to seeing BLSC2.

micvog
Grass Type: Mazama Monostand
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

Post by micvog » July 14th, 2017, 1:17 pm

andy10917 wrote:
Is there an ETA on BLSC2? You've been teasing us for a while! :razz:

lawndad

Post by lawndad » July 14th, 2017, 2:02 pm

Green wrote:
July 13th, 2017, 10:58 pm
Hydretain is the same thing as the Moisture Manager product you mentioned. However, there are multiple versions. I think Moisture Manager is either Hydretain, Hydretain ES, or Hydretain ES Plus. You could tell by comparing the labels.

I bought the ES Plus II...for a lot less on Amazon (from A.M. Leonard) than SiteOne wanted for a more basic version of their Moisture Manager.
Well this sounds like a good option. I wonder why everyone feels that this way is the easier way and the BLSC is the best and only option. I think different things work for different people. I read all the hype of this Serenade and all that l I have been doing is buying it on Amazon and spraying it religiously. I have fungus and it has worsened this season. So I don't think it works IMO but maybe I'm doing other things wrong to cause my issues. Let me know how this Hydretain works for you. Thanks

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » July 14th, 2017, 3:13 pm

andy10917 wrote:
Strangely, I've been playing with some things here as well and have a mix that currently outperforms BLSC. I'm making it myself, but there's absolutely no reason The Folks At Home can't purchase all the components. Cheaply.

It doesn't use yucca, but does use some very specific saponified oils.

PW405
Grass Type: Primary: TTTF (blend), KBG. Bermuda (hellstrip)
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Experienced

Post by PW405 » July 16th, 2017, 1:59 pm

MorpheusPA wrote:
July 14th, 2017, 3:13 pm

Strangely, I've been playing with some things here as well and have a mix that currently outperforms BLSC. I'm making it myself, but there's absolutely no reason The Folks At Home can't purchase all the components. Cheaply.

It doesn't use yucca, but does use some very specific saponified oils.
Oh, DO TELL! :yahoo:

chrispitude
Grass Type: northern/tall fescue

Post by chrispitude » August 3rd, 2017, 4:50 pm

Out with it. Both of you. All my BLSC/KH ingredients arrive tomorrow. If either of you have something better, I'd love to know before I mix up gallons. :)

And if both of you have something better, I'll mix 'em both up and spray 'em 50/50.

This place... sheesh.