Cutting around Max Height (cut+(cut*1/3))

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
lVlrBoJang1es
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Cutting around Max Height (cut+(cut*1/3))

Post by lVlrBoJang1es » July 11th, 2017, 6:20 pm

I just finished mowing - my lawn was over due.

My grass needed a cut so badly that despite the downpour starting 1/3 of the way through, I still finished the job. Fortunately I preemptively put the bag on my mower anticipating a light SPRINKLE. I cut with the deck height set to 4" which is the height I've been using for about 3 weeks now. The grass was around 7" high with some mutant blades towering around +8". Chalk the last week up as Real life: 1, Lawn: 0 :sorry: . I usually cut a minimum of 2x per week to prevent the grass from flopping over.

After finishing, I noticed that the grass blades seemed to be standing more upright than normal. I was pondering if the erect blades had anything to do with letting the grass grow out a bit? I was telling my self that the base of the turf blade would thicken to accommodate for the inherited weight with the top growth. After cutting off the top of the blade thicker and more upright base and mid-blade would be exposed.

Conditions have been mild here and i'd like to believe that i've been properly irrigating and (up until now) cutting in combination with following a milo spoon feeding program. I don't think i can attribute the noticeably better appearance to any odd "perfect condition" scenarios.

Also, any concerns with cutting in the rain? I think this was one of my most consistent cuts of the season. It's looking decent now that the rain stopped:
(I didn't trim my fence line because my trimmer is electric and doesn't mix well with rain)

I might throw down a preventative serenade app tonight - the lawn is due for one and it might serve as extra defense with the fresh cut in the wet conditions.