My Bewitched is so light green

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
llO0DQLE
Grass Type: KBG and Creeping Red Fescue
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

Re: My Bewitched is so light green

Post by llO0DQLE » July 16th, 2017, 6:02 pm

I forgot to mention in my last post that I did feed all pots with some MAP and MOP and then some urea a couple weeks after. I can't remember the exact timelines right now but I can check my notes when I get home from work later. That's why I was wondering if MAP/MOP would be the same idea as feeding with Miracle Gro or if MG had an edge with micros, or if micros would be the deficiency as I had already fed it NPK.

Regarding watering, just to clarify, your suggestion is to put it in a separate tray and water liberally? I can do that. Although I don't think water is the issue as I had been watering the trays pretty frequently, topping it up often, only recently started backing off about a week ago or so.

And I probably should apply MG to all pots to control for variables right? And see the difference or if BW continues to be lighter than the others even it greens up a bit?

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » July 16th, 2017, 6:20 pm

Is there an Iron source, or is the Milorganite the only nutrient with Iron?

jglongisland
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by jglongisland » July 16th, 2017, 6:23 pm

I was just thinking about giving Bewitched a boost in feeding to see if it catches up.

llO0DQLE

Post by llO0DQLE » July 16th, 2017, 6:59 pm

No iron. Haven't applied Milo either. I can try that. I was wondering if the soil is alkaline or there is an iron deficiency. But that still doesn't explain why only the BW is light green as all pots got the same soil, water and fertilizer regimen. I could try some Milo just to see.

SNOWBOB11
Grass Type: Bewitched KBG
Lawn Size: 3000-5000

Post by SNOWBOB11 » July 16th, 2017, 11:34 pm

I have no experience with growing KBG pots so I could be wrong, but something tells me that they sent you the wrong seed like you mentioned was a possibility earlier and it's not bewitched. I looked at some other pics of bewitched pots on the site and they don't look anywhere near as light as the ones you got. And the fact that your other pots when feed the same are so much darker definitely has me wondering. In fact I was actually thinking back and I remembered when I called brett young earlier this year and asked them to send me a germination and purity chart for blueberry and one for bewitched, they sent me blueberry and bedazzled by mistake. Maybe your pots are bedazzled and not bewitched. Ether way I'm interested to see if the color changes any if you go ahead and feed them some milo or miracle grow.

llO0DQLE

Post by llO0DQLE » July 17th, 2017, 6:00 pm

Checked my notes, I applied MAP & MOP on June 20 and urea on June 27. Grass was approx. 1 month to 6 weeks old by June 20.

Today I applied Milo to the Bewitched and Blueberry Pots as well as three other pots that are blends. I didn't apply Milo to Prosperity and Midnight to serve as a comparison. I applied Milo to BB to see if BW will continue to be lighter green compared to BB with the same management including feeding.

llO0DQLE

Post by llO0DQLE » July 26th, 2017, 7:44 pm

9 days after applying Milo and Bewitched looks like it's darkening up. It was still pretty lime green a few days ago (4 - 5 days ago). I've actually dialed back the watering as I was afraid that it was getting chlorotic.

Prosperity and Midnight did not get Milo.

SNOWBOB11

Post by SNOWBOB11 » July 26th, 2017, 11:21 pm

Definitely looks like the bewitched has gotten darker. Also looks thicker than in the other pic.

NCSU
Grass Type: Kentucky Bluegrass
Lawn Size: Not Specified

Post by NCSU » July 27th, 2017, 12:25 pm

I got some bewitched for a late reseed for some of my washed out areas last fall and I thought I had gotten a bag of poa annua because of how light green those areas were. They are now the best looking darkest green areas of my lawn :)

llO0DQLE

Post by llO0DQLE » July 27th, 2017, 12:42 pm

Yeah I really thought in had poa annua in that pot at some point. Glad to know I'm not the only one experiencing this.

llO0DQLE

Post by llO0DQLE » August 16th, 2017, 12:06 pm

Pics taken today after a trim. HOC is 4 inches. I applied liquid fertilizer (10-4-3) on Aug. 2 and Aug. 6. The short interval was because I was going on vacation for a week on Aug. 8. I applied the second app through the bottom in the tray with a lot of water. The pots grew like crazy in the one week I was away. Midnight is the most dense with the leaves growing outward out of the pot. It has been the most diseased too though. Prosperity is nice and dense with a more upright growth habit with finer blades. Disease pressure hasn't been too bad with Prosperity. It grows slower than Blueberry and maybe even Bewitched in terms of upright growth. But this is in pots and just one pot if each cultivar so it's hard to say for sure if it's slower than Bewitched in a lawn. It definitely is slower than Blueberry. Blueberry and Bewitched have the most rhizomes, with maybe an edge to Bewitched. Midnight and Prosperity have remarkedly less rhizomes. Bewitched's color seems to be on part with the rest now.

llO0DQLE

Post by llO0DQLE » August 16th, 2017, 12:17 pm

Left to right: Midnight - Prosperity - Blueberry - Bewitched

ImageImage

SNOWBOB11

Post by SNOWBOB11 » August 18th, 2017, 11:46 pm

Your bewitched really darkened up since you fertilized it. You can also really see the more upright growth of the blueberry compared to the bewitched. One thing I notice is how the bewitched is sending shoots through the pot and looks like it wants to spread more than the others. Also the prosperity looks really nice. Maybe the nicest of all of them at this stage. Might make a nice monostand.

llO0DQLE

Post by llO0DQLE » August 19th, 2017, 12:34 am

I've always been curious as to how Prosperity would look as a mono and I'm contemplating doing a section of my yard with it. We'll see.

BTW, Blueberry and Bewitched are actually about even for rhizomes...