Tank Mix Propiconazole / Tenacity - Also observations from Biofungicide Applications

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
Casutherland
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

Tank Mix Propiconazole / Tenacity - Also observations from Biofungicide Applications

Post by Casutherland » July 17th, 2017, 11:41 am

Hello All,

So just to start, I have been applying Serenade/Companion/Actinovate bi-weekly since early March. We are now in July, and I am still dealing with Fungal issues. They seem to be contained to my back yard which is good. However, so far I have interrupted the Biofungicide routine with one round of Propiconazole about a month and a half ago in Early/Mid June. That application completely removed the fungal issues from the lawn. We had a nice couple days of rain after application and the yard started to behave better.

However, here in the middle of July, I am starting to notice some patchy areas again of fungal growth. I am pretty positive this is brown patch. I will attempt to post some pictures of this tonight. Luckily, they are not large areas, but they need to be addressed again.

So here are my questions:

1) Is it ok for me to apply another round of Propiconazole, without the risk of "overuse," potentially causing the fungus to form immunities?
2) How much will this application affected my biofungicide applications? Should I stop the biofungicide entirely? It seems as if it is just not strong enough for us down here in the transition zone. We have really humid and hot conditions. Really difficult to control fungal issues.
3) Is it ok to tank mix Propiconazole and Tenacity, or is this a no no?
4) Is it too hot/too stressful this time of the year to apply an herbicide like Tenacity? I have some areas of crab grass, bermuda, and broad leaf/woodland weeds growing in the yard. Nothing crazy, but I would like to spot treat these areas.

Thanks everyone!

Casutherland
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

Re: Tank Mix Propiconazole / Tenacity - Also observations from Biofungicide Applications

Post by Casutherland » July 17th, 2017, 3:45 pm

I would really love if someone could help answer this before the end of the day. I planned on putting this out when I got home from work this evening.

g-man
Grass Type: Mix (mostly KBG)
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Tank Mix Propiconazole / Tenacity - Also observations from Biofungicide Applications

Post by g-man » July 17th, 2017, 6:25 pm

^you are not going to get much answers. This is the similar question you asked before. Read the product label. You have a very small yard (2500sqft?). Why the desire to mix stuff?

Give up on serenade again? Why keep using it if you are also applying fungicide?

You want a blanket spray a fungicide and spot treat crabgrass. How? Tenacity is not the best for full grown crabgrass.

STL
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by STL » July 17th, 2017, 8:58 pm

1. Per the label, if you applied prop once, it's OK to apply again. As you use fungicides, certain fungi will be immune and will be given the chance to multiple due to less competition. Rotating to a fungicide of a different class will kill some of those immune fungicides and even it out some, and the cycle continues, to a certain degree, requiring another rotation.

2. No idea, but since prop worked the first time you could go back to serenade and use fungicides as a backup in case things get worse again or continue with fungicides. Fungicide kills bad and good fungi. Only you can really decide what cultural practices are best for your situation. If you have active bp I'd hit it with a fungicide, but that's just me.

3. Not sure why you would want to, especially if you're targeting undesirables with your spot sprays of the tenacity.

4. I don't know if tenacity works on Bermuda, but check the label. I'd save the tenacity for grassy weed issues like poa a and t. Hit the crabgrass and broadleafs with targeted herbicides that are cheaper when the weather allows. Do a search and see how people deal with Bermuda in cool season stands.

To gmans point, definitely read the labels on the products you're applying. Finding them online allows you to search for the sections you want a bit easier. Mixing stuff can be convenient but it also complicates things and can be risky if not done properly.