Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
richakn
Grass Type: Fescue, KBG and some unknown
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Grass type for Northern Virginia

Post by richakn » August 7th, 2017, 7:35 pm

Hi,

I live in Northern Virginia and over-seeded last year with Pennington's Sun and Shade mix. Come the spring it looked great - loads of grass (planted in late September/early October it actually looked pretty thick by December), but it did look look pretty thin/fine and wispy. Come the hot weather I had tones of dead grass in my lawn. It looked like it was the new grass that died, with some of the thicker bladed grass doing great. I have tones of different types of grass in my lawn, so hard to tell what thrives and what doesn't.

What's the best type of grass to see this fall to sustain grow through next summer?

STL
Grass Type: TTTF

Re: Grass type for Northern Virginia

Post by STL » August 8th, 2017, 11:25 am

Generally, turf type tall fescue does well on the transition zone. You can incorporate other types, like kentucky blue grass or fine feacue for shade, but that may change maintenace some depending on what you go with.

Here are VA tech's recommendations. http://www.sites.ext.vt.edu/newsletter- ... 5-2016.pdf. You can find seed online at places like Williams lawn seed, pawnee butte, preferred seed, hogan, and seed super store. You may have to call them to order and see what they have from some of those though. You can check NTEP for what does well in your area as well.

Local nurseries and garden centers may have good seed. Just be sure to check the labels, particularly weed seed percentage and cultivars used.

virginiagal

Post by virginiagal » August 8th, 2017, 6:29 pm

I am in Richmond and overseeding with tttf. I looked at NTEP top performers for brown patch resistance and VA Tech's recommended list and chose two cultivars that were on both lists (Titanium 2 LS and Mustang 4). I found them at United Seed and they are being shipped now. Last year I used Turf and Garden Southern Belle Blend which had Raptor IIi, Titanium LS, Firecracker, all of which were on VA Tech's list. I found that at a local hardware store (Pleasants) but only in 50 lb bags. I didn't need that much this year. I had some brown patch this year but not nearly as much as normal.

RockinMyLawn
Grass Type: Fescue

Post by RockinMyLawn » August 9th, 2017, 12:23 pm

virginiagal wrote:
August 8th, 2017, 6:29 pm
I am in Richmond and overseeding with tttf. I looked at NTEP top performers for brown patch resistance and VA Tech's recommended list and chose two cultivars that were on both lists (Titanium 2 LS and Mustang 4). I found them at United Seed and they are being shipped now. Last year I used Turf and Garden Southern Belle Blend which had Raptor IIi, Titanium LS, Firecracker, all of which were on VA Tech's list. I found that at a local hardware store (Pleasants) but only in 50 lb bags. I didn't need that much this year. I had some brown patch this year but not nearly as much as normal.
Hey virginiagal - why did you not stick to the Southern Belle Blend for this year's overseed?

Not brown patch related - true?

Also which Pleasants in RVA area can I take a look @ for the Southern Belle Blend ?

virginiagal

Post by virginiagal » August 9th, 2017, 3:19 pm

I looked at the Southern Belle blend at Pleasants on Patterson Ave (near Libbie) this week so that one has several bags. I just don't need 50 lb. of seed this fall (Hurray! Most of my grass survived the summer!). Trinity Turf off of Commerce Rd usually has a blend with VA Tech approved grasses. I haven't called to see what they have (not convenient for me to go there). They will sell half a bag of seed (they did that for me a couple of years ago). Pleasants may ship to another store closer to you. I'm not sure but does't hurt to ask.

kevreh
Grass Type: Front Yard: 2013 TTTF reno (faith, cochise, turbo, ls1200), Back: 2013 KBG reno (bewitched, midnight, prosperity)

Post by kevreh » August 16th, 2017, 3:46 pm

STL wrote:
August 8th, 2017, 11:25 am
Generally, turf type tall fescue does well on the transition zone. You can incorporate other types, like kentucky blue grass or fine feacue for shade, but that may change maintenace some depending on what you go with.

Here are VA tech's recommendations. http://www.sites.ext.vt.edu/newsletter- ... 5-2016.pdf. You can find seed online at places like Williams lawn seed, pawnee butte, preferred seed, hogan, and seed super store. You may have to call them to order and see what they have from some of those though. You can check NTEP for what does well in your area as well.
I'll second using TTTF. I currently have TTTF in my front lawn and KBG growing in the back yard. The TF has done better by far, except maybe those ideal months like May and October where the KBG is a nice green and does really well. Of course, part of it could be the orientation of the lawns (front faces NE and has a mix of sun and some shade) while the back faces SW and see's sun pretty much all day. So the KBG in the back really gets cooked. So, I think you need to factor the amount of sun or shade your lawn will get.

That Virginia Tech document is a great resource. They went through the NTEP results and aggregated the best performers. My only gripe is they could be more transparent in what categories they used to arrive at their results.

I order from Hogan seed and couldn't be happier. Steven there is really helpfull and can share some insights with their test plots.

RockinMyLawn

Post by RockinMyLawn » August 21st, 2017, 10:49 am

virginiagal wrote:
August 9th, 2017, 3:19 pm
I looked at the Southern Belle blend at Pleasants on Patterson Ave (near Libbie) this week so that one has several bags. I just don't need 50 lb. of seed this fall (Hurray! Most of my grass survived the summer!). Trinity Turf off of Commerce Rd usually has a blend with VA Tech approved grasses. I haven't called to see what they have (not convenient for me to go there). They will sell half a bag of seed (they did that for me a couple of years ago). Pleasants may ship to another store closer to you. I'm not sure but does't hurt to ask.
The Midlo Pleasant had 5 lbs, 20lbs & 50lbs bag.

Cultivars are high quality & 0 weed:

Thanks for the tip on this brand.

RockinMyLawn

Post by RockinMyLawn » August 22nd, 2017, 12:00 am

RockinMyLawn wrote:
August 21st, 2017, 10:49 am
virginiagal wrote:
August 9th, 2017, 3:19 pm
The Midlo Pleasants had 5 lbs, 20lbs & 50lbs bag.

Cultivars are high quality & 0 weed:

Thanks for the tip on this brand.
Image added