Advice fof Cape Cod fall planting.

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
swami7774
Grass Type: Some tall fescues, along with Bedazzled, Bewitched, Blue Velvet.
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Advice fof Cape Cod fall planting.

Post by swami7774 » August 15th, 2017, 10:49 am

I'm reseeding(new topsoil) our large back yard, which gets more sun than shade. I asked the guys at Williams Lawn Seed for recommendations, and they sent the following blends. Can anyone here who has more knowledge of grass seed than I do(which includes just about everyone) please give me some guidance as to which blend I should use? I live on Cape Cod, Zone 7-A. Thanks in advance:

Revolution Turf Type Tall Fescue Blend $2.60 lbs
35% RainDance. 35% Falcon 4, 15% Renegade DT, 15% Escalde Turf Type Tall Fescue's
Seeding rate overseeding 5 lbs per 1000 sq ft

Revolution PLUS 90/10 Ky Blue Turf Type Tall Fescue MIX has 10% Ky Bluegrass $2.75 lbs
with 10% Rockstar Ky Bluegrass
Seeding rate overseeding 5 lbs per 1000 sq ft

a WLS Sod Bluegrass Blend $6.50 lbs
25% of each Endurance, FullMoon, Right, & MoonLight SLT Ky Blues
Seeding rate overseeding 1or 2 lbs per 1000 sq ft

WLS Fairway Mix 75/ 25 75% Ky Blues 25% Turf Type Per Ryegrass $4.90 lbs
20% Jumpstart ky 20% Fullmoon ky 20% Mercury ky 15% Moonlight SLT ky 25% SUNRYE Blend of three per ryegrass's
Seeding rate overseeding 2 lbs per 1000 sq ft

Deluxe Sun & Shade Mix $3.00 lbs
12% Mercury ky 12% Appalachian ky 11% Alene ky 15% Predator Hard Fes 20% Cr Red fes 30%Gray Fox Per Ryegrass
Seeding rate overseeding 2 to 3 lbs per 1000 sq ft

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Advice fof Cape Cod fall planting.

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » August 15th, 2017, 12:19 pm

Well, that question is largely dependent on your personal preferences, what your challenges are, and what you are looking to achieve on the lawn.

You have mostly sun, so it is quite likely that all of those blends can look good if cared for properly. But what looks 'good' to one, isn't to another - right?

If you are going from "Bedazzled, Bewitched, Blue Velvet" to one of the above blends -and liked your previous cultivars - I'd say the all-KBG blend is closest, but I'd research them on NTEP.org to see how they stack up, because they seem to be up against a pretty well-liked group of KBG cultivars in what you had.

swami7774

Post by swami7774 » August 15th, 2017, 12:45 pm

The B-B-B blend went in front in 2010 and has worked very well, although it seems to get affected more by drought than other areas(which have more of a fescue blend). I shall cross-check against NTEP.
By the way, Leon Williams at Williams Seed tells me they are absolutely swamped with orders, large and small.

swami7774

Post by swami7774 » August 15th, 2017, 2:40 pm

HoosierLawnGnome wrote:
August 15th, 2017, 12:19 pm
Well, that question is largely dependent on your personal preferences, what your challenges are, and what you are looking to achieve on the lawn.

You have mostly sun, so it is quite likely that all of those blends can look good if cared for properly. But what looks 'good' to one, isn't to another - right?

If you are going from "Bedazzled, Bewitched, Blue Velvet" to one of the above blends -and liked your previous cultivars - I'd say the all-KBG blend is closest, but I'd research them on NTEP.org to see how they stack up, because they seem to be up against a pretty well-liked group of KBG cultivars in what you had.
The challenges aren't that many. The grass must be fairly sturdy; we have a dog who likes to sprint around the backyard(and do other things back there), so it has to be strong enough to hold up to that. Would that requirement eliminate some of the blends? It's a fairly flat section, so runoff won't be an issue. Other than that, no big challenges.