Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
mooch91
Grass Type: KBG, PR, TTTF
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Experienced

Tired of being a slave to my lawn!!!

Post by mooch91 » August 16th, 2017, 9:24 pm

Bear with me here all...

I'm tired of being a slave to my lawn, and I'm looking for some advice.

First the background: 1.5 acres, northern mix (looks like mainly rye and fescues). I've been in this home and caring for this lawn for about 4 seasons now.

I like a clean, manicured lawn. First and foremost, I'm about the way it cuts - I like a nice even surface and I love to stripe. Density and color are secondary concerns to the quality of the cut I can put on the lawn. I'd rate my lawn at a 3.5 out of 5 - it's one of those that looks good from a distance when freshly cut, but the color and density look good for maybe 2 or three weeks in the early spring. From then on, the different textures really become apparent and the color pales. For the time I put in each week, I'd expect to be closer to a 5.

The problem I'm having is that I've become a slave to the lawn and I still can't get a decent cut on it. Right now I'm mowing twice a week, and I need to double cut each time. I'm probably spending 2.5 hours on it each time I cut. Still, I'm leaving windrows and clippings on the lawn. The growth rate of my lawn is tremendous and my mower and frequency of cut just can't keep up.

For instance, I cut on Sunday afternoon and came back again tonight (3 days growth). I suspect the lawn was at least 5" and I took it down to 3.5". I only had a chance to single cut it between dinner and dusk, and I left a dense layer of clippings on the lawn.

In addition to not being able to get a decent cut, we are tracking the clippings all over the house. I blow down the walkways and driveway, but I need to sweep my garage almost daily to keep the grass from building up. My mulched beds look atrocious - despite trying to direct clippings away, the beds have gone from brown to yellow with all of the grass clippings within. My son is tracking in the clippings every time he goes out to play.

Here's what I've tried:

Tried the "fall regimen" last year, timed it perfectly I believe. Put down no fertilizer this year until second week of June where I did 0.5# N2 per 1000 sq ft (I was dealing with a little fungus). I used to be the Scotts-style applicator, doing 4-5 applications of like 0.8# each time. In past years, I would have had 1.6# down by now. Thought this was going to make a huge difference. Honestly - didn't see any reduction in growth rate and overall I think it needed more nutrition throughout the season.

I've used two mowers on the lawn - had a Hustler Raptor SD and traded up two seasons ago for a Hustler Fastrak when I thought for sure the mower was the culprit. The Raptor SD has a shallower deck with a narrow discharge compared to the Fastrak. It made a marginal improvement - less clumping, but still a fair amount of clippings accumulating. My mower's not a commercial mower, but I thought it should give me a pretty decent cut with the side discharge. I'm not interested in mulching - I've not heard anyone say they were happy with the quality of cut mulching with a mower like mine.

I've varied my mowing speed - no real difference. Scraped the deck weekly.

I've tried multiple styles of blades (having swapped them out many, many times): medium-lift, high-lift, Gator G5. The medium-lift have been the style I always come back to time and time again because they seem to do the best at dispersing the clippings of the three types.

I've leveled and heeled the mower deck just about every way you can - never really noticed an improvement with 1/4" down, 1/4" up or level. I've moved my anti-scalp wheels to each of the positions with no difference. Checked and rechecked tire pressure.

I've tried different cut heights from 3-4". 3.5" is a threshold - anything lower and the clipping load really increases, anything higher and the lawn just always looks long. When I do go up to 4" cut height the clipping load seems to decrease significantly, but the lawn seems to lay upon itself and doesn't really look very good.

I've been trying to cut 2x per week, but it's been difficult to plan my cuts around weather, vacations, family commitments, etc. Even then it's clearly not enough to keep up. I'd probably need to cut every other day to keep it the way I want.

Does anyone have any other thoughts of what I can try? Maybe just lower my expectations? It seems the LCOs can do a single pass on my neighbors' properties and make them look halfway decent, but I can't figure out what they're doing that I'm not and I'm putting in at least twice the time.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

ezael
Grass Type: Fielder, Arcadia, Merit, Quantum Leap KBG
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Tired of being a slave to my lawn!!!

Post by ezael » August 17th, 2017, 12:55 am

A great lawn will give you a great cut. Try focusing more on the turf quality and see what comes of that.

lVlrBoJang1es
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Post by lVlrBoJang1es » August 17th, 2017, 8:16 am

This may be a longshot at a 1.5 acre plot, but depending on your dissatisfaction and disposable income; have you considered PGR (plant growth regulator) applications? I personally have no experience with such substances, but i've seen them mentioned around these parts. I do know that they're quite expensive...
For Slowing Grass Growth: Plant Growth Regulators sprayed on the lawn will slow the growth of labeled turf species by up to 50 percent for up to four weeks. This can be important for those who are seeking a reduction in clipping collection or mowing frequency. With over half of the states in the U.S. passing laws against disposing of yard wastes in landfills, PGRs are gaining attention.
http://www.lawn-care-academy.com/plant- ... ators.html

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Level: Advanced

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » August 17th, 2017, 8:54 am

It's taking you 2.5 hours to cut 1.5 acres?

My lot is 1.4 acres. I cut it in 65 minutes on a 42" Exmark Quest (zero turn)

My lot is pretty flat and open, and I trim every other time so that adds 15 minutes.

And, if I hear your properly - I think you are frustrated for your return on time investment. 5 hours a week to cut the grass. That's a lot of time, no doubt.

I think you've nailed it on the head:
The growth rate of my lawn is tremendous and my mower and frequency of cut just can't keep up.
My advice: Find a mower that can cut the lawn faster and mulch it better. You'll find yourself wanting to mow it more often with equipment you love, and the lawn will look better. Best investment you can make.

My neighbor was in the same boat. He has 2 acres and was cutting it for years with a 32" John Deere tractor. He could only mow it once a week and it took him 3-4 hours. He slowly came to hate it. Then we chatted about it - he went out and bought a big commercial grade zt that rides smooth. He's out there twice a week for an hour now. He cuts it more often AND spends less time on it. Looks even better too!

HoosierLawnGnome

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » August 17th, 2017, 9:04 am

One other note - we have some new neighbors that just moved in. As such, the lawn got almost a foot tall before they got their new mowing service out to cut it. The big commercial mowers they brought in mulched it up down to 4-4.5" in a single pass (albeit a slow pass) - and they were done.

What I'm saying is your situation isn't uncommon - but you may need to go up a notch in equipment to get there - landscapers deal with this all the time.

rydaddy
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre

Post by rydaddy » August 17th, 2017, 12:28 pm

HoosierLawnGnome wrote:
August 17th, 2017, 8:54 am
It's taking you 2.5 hours to cut 1.5 acres?

My lot is 1.4 acres. I cut it in 65 minutes on a 42" Exmark Quest (zero turn)

My lot is pretty flat and open, and I trim every other time so that adds 15 minutes.

And, if I hear your properly - I think you are frustrated for your return on time investment. 5 hours a week to cut the grass. That's a lot of time, no doubt.

I think you've nailed it on the head:
The growth rate of my lawn is tremendous and my mower and frequency of cut just can't keep up.
My advice: Find a mower that can cut the lawn faster and mulch it better. You'll find yourself wanting to mow it more often with equipment you love, and the lawn will look better. Best investment you can make.

My neighbor was in the same boat. He has 2 acres and was cutting it for years with a 32" John Deere tractor. He could only mow it once a week and it took him 3-4 hours. He slowly came to hate it. Then we chatted about it - he went out and bought a big commercial grade zt that rides smooth. He's out there twice a week for an hour now. He cuts it more often AND spends less time on it. Looks even better too!
That is pretty quick with a 42" deck. Are you flying around as fast as possible? Do you wear a helmet! :D

rydaddy
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre

Post by rydaddy » August 17th, 2017, 1:03 pm

All kidding aside, this is what I use. This is my third summer with it. Before I switched to this I was getting close to hiring a lawn service and my wife said 'you will never be satisfied with the job they do - even if they do it perfectly..."

I 100% realize this is not in everyone's budget. I drove my last personal truck for 10 years. Some buy new every three. Totally get we all have our different wants/needs/desire. So please don't slam me...
Note: I also believe there is something said for push mowing with a 21" mower and not riding. But that simply takes way more time than I can put into it. But I appreciate those who only push mow - more power to you.

Cheesto
Grass Type: 2017 KGB Reno: Bewitched, Prosperity, Moonlight SLT, Endurance
Lawn Size: 5000-10000

Post by Cheesto » August 17th, 2017, 1:28 pm

Why not invest in a robotic lawn mower? Maybe the jury is still out on these, but it runs every day, which will help maintain a healthy lawn, clippings will be much smaller, and you get 5 hours back each week. Here's an example: http://www.husqvarna.com/us/products/ro ... wn-mowers/

lVlrBoJang1es

Post by lVlrBoJang1es » August 17th, 2017, 2:19 pm

Cheesto wrote:
August 17th, 2017, 1:28 pm
Why not invest in a robotic lawn mower? Maybe the jury is still out on these, but it runs every day, which will help maintain a healthy lawn, clippings will be much smaller, and you get 5 hours back each week. Here's an example: http://www.husqvarna.com/us/products/ro ... wn-mowers/
Wondering if anyone around here has actually tried these things? I always wondered if the technology was "too new to be effective".

I live/eat/breathe in an automation world so this type of stuff has always piqued my interest..

HoosierLawnGnome

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » August 17th, 2017, 2:45 pm

rydaddy wrote:
August 17th, 2017, 12:28 pm
That is pretty quick with a 42" deck. Are you flying around as fast as possible? Do you wear a helmet! :D
Not to get too far off topic, but like I say - my rectangular lot is mostly flat with no obstacles, so I can go for long passes at a time without stopping, and I do usually have the machine almost top speed.

I can't imagine it taking 2.5 hours. I don't have that much time twice a week either just for cutting.

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000

Post by bpgreen » August 17th, 2017, 4:17 pm

lVlrBoJang1es wrote:
August 17th, 2017, 2:19 pm
Cheesto wrote:
August 17th, 2017, 1:28 pm
Wondering if anyone around here has actually tried these things? I always wondered if the technology was "too new to be effective".

I live/eat/breathe in an automation world so this type of stuff has always piqued my interest..
MorpheusPA has a robotic mower named Myrtle. I'm pretty sure he's pleased with the job she does. You can find some posts about it if you search for Myrtle. You'll get better results if you use advanced search and search by his username: search.php?keywords=myrtle&terms=all&au ... mit=Search

Wally
Grass Type: Northern Mix

Post by Wally » August 17th, 2017, 10:02 pm

How about a gang mower? 9 foot cutting path!

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)

Post by Green » August 17th, 2017, 10:16 pm

If I had a robotic mower like that named Myrtle, I'd paint it green. Myrtle the Turtle.

Smolenski7
Grass Type: Northern Mix

Post by Smolenski7 » August 17th, 2017, 10:56 pm

I think that there are a lot of guys just like you. You put in a lot of time into your lawn and feel like you should be getting better results. You are absolutely right that a good quality cut goes a long way to creating a lawn that is something to be proud of, however, there is more than just just that.

1. Try to find out what your lawn needs to thrive. Do a soil test, post the results, and find out what it needs. Then, do what you are told like a good soldier. Guys on this forum will not steer you wrong.

2. Residential ZT's aren't known to give the best cut quality. My theory is that the gov't regulates how fast a residential mower's blades can spin, it can be no faster than 19K rpm. That's fine, nothing wrong with 19K rpm's under the deck, but unfortunately residential ZT's can move pretty quickly, that's why people buy them, but they move so fast that the cut quality suffers. That might be why you need to double cut.

You're not the only homeowner to double cut his lawn because of poor cut quality. If you are dead set on keeping a ZT, I would suggest a commercial Ex-mark or maybe Scag. Scag is the best, but very expensive. However, if you really want the best cut, buy a Simplicity GT. Simplicity is pretty much the undisputed king of cut quality because of their hanging deck design. Now, it may be a GT that moves much slower than your current Hustler, but you will only have to cut once and the quality will be far superior.

3. Finally, mulch. You will not have to worry about dirty flower beds, walkways, driveways, or sidewalks every again. Plus, it's good for your soil, your lawn will thank you, and your cut quality will probably go up.

Good luck.

Green

Post by Green » August 17th, 2017, 11:11 pm

^I have a neighbor with a Cub Cadet Z-turn. I'm so impressed with it. It cuts as nicely as a push mower. He doesn't tend to go fast, though.

Also, you have some good ideas for the OP about the soil testing and plan. Not saying the OP is doing this, but some people rely too much on Nitrogen apps for color and density, and as a result, can't keep up with the cutting.

Grass Type: Quack, No Mix

Post by 1977212 » August 17th, 2017, 11:14 pm

I use a toro mx6000. I can cut clean 3.5 acres in 1.6 hours. Cut at full speed unless I hit some of the bumpy areas.

One thing that you need to set is the decks idler/scalping wheels. Put them in the lowest to the ground so the deck floats more than bounces in the air resulting into a better cut.

Jackpine
Grass Type: N.W. Mi. KBG blend
Lawn Size: 3000-5000

Post by Jackpine » August 18th, 2017, 8:57 am

My neighbor has a mostly fescue lawn with some rye and KBG mixed in that I cut for them when gone and I hate it! That grass is tough. It's not what I consider thick yet even when going slow with my HRR216 it does not mulch well. The only irrigation it gets is rainfall yet that stuff grows and seems to get even worse to cut.

Green

Post by Green » August 18th, 2017, 10:31 pm

^Be happy it's not St. Augustine in the South. That stuff is coarse like KY-31, *and* it's sod-forming, so it can get thick like KBG if well-cared-for. Imagine unimproved Tall Fescue that's as thick as KBG.

Abyss
Grass Type: Midnight II and Northstar out back

Post by Abyss » August 22nd, 2017, 4:33 pm

If you are cutting that much lawn twice a week, find out the cost of gas to mow one time, then figure out what that is for the month. Figure out what it would cost you to put a Growth regulator application down. If it's anywhere close, it's a no brainer. It will drastically reduce your mowing, maybe almost to the point that you are mowing every 10 days. I know on my Bermuda I went from every 2-3 days to mowing once a week, and I could've easily stayed within a 1/3 rule by going 2 weeks. It will also thicken up your grass, help the root system, and allow you to maintain it at a little bit lower of a cut which it seems like you would like to have.

I'd at least buy a small bottle of it, and try it out on a section of your lawn to see how it reacts and if it would be worth it

GaryCinChicago

Post by GaryCinChicago » August 26th, 2017, 3:48 am

mooch91 wrote:
August 16th, 2017, 9:24 pm
Right now I'm mowing twice a week, and I need to double cut each time. I'm probably spending 2.5 hours on it each time I cut. Still, I'm leaving windrows and clippings on the lawn. The growth rate of my lawn is tremendous and my mower and frequency of cut just can't keep up.hem look halfway decent, but I can't figure out what they're doing that I'm not and I'm putting in at least twice the time.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.
August in central PA?????? You're not cutting turfgrass.

Sorry, you're cutting sh!t that grows when its hot (and because you have 1.5 acres, we all know there is no way you are manually irrigating regularly to promote turfgrass).

It's as simple as that. Sorry. I call a spade, a spade.

(and to all - STOP YOURSELF! A spade is an eff'n shovel!)