BLSC & KH on newly seeded areas

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
bigterp
Grass Type: N/A
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

BLSC & KH on newly seeded areas

Post by bigterp » August 18th, 2017, 1:23 pm

Planning on putting down an application of BLSC & KH this evening. I recently (6 days ago) dropped some seed (TTTF & KBG) on some spots that were left bare after some tree removal. Is it OK to hit these spots with the BLSC & KH? Or should I avoid these areas?

greenrebellion
Grass Type: Bewitched KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Re: BLSC & KH on newly seeded areas

Post by greenrebellion » August 18th, 2017, 2:33 pm

From what I've read on here, BLSC/KH can slightly increase PH, so until it is thoroughly watered in, it may affect surface soil PH where the seed is germinating. I'd avoid using it on recently seeded areas.

STL
Grass Type: TTTF

Post by STL » August 18th, 2017, 4:09 pm

See morph's post here which speaks to the slight ph shift and using it at seeding. viewtopic.php?t=22872&start=40.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » August 18th, 2017, 6:47 pm

Go for it. Soap slightly increases seed germination, and the KH can also help due to the growth hormones and trace minerals.

The very slight pH shift doesn't worry me unless it seriously builds up over time. That's not likely in any case, and if it were, you already have a high pH due to being in an arid or desert area.

bigterp
Grass Type: N/A

Post by bigterp » August 21st, 2017, 9:02 am

Thanks for the responses. Hit my lawn with BLSC and KH Saturday afternoon. This was my second, and last, application for the year. Probably have enough for two more applications which I'll do in the spring/summer. Hit all the newly seeded areas as well. But was sure to water it in on those areas. Got a fairly heavy rain Saturday evening so everything got watered in nicely, not just the newly seeded areas. The newly seeded areas are all showing nice gemination. So I must be doing something right.