Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
AndyNE
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Experienced

Urea and BLKH storage

Post by AndyNE » August 19th, 2017, 5:55 pm

Hi,

I tried searching the forum to answer my questions to no avail. I got stocked up on my fast-release urea at the farmer's co-op the other day and was wondering if it's ok to store it all in a tote. I bought 150 lbs which is enough for me for a couple of years.

Also, i have quite a bit of BLKH mix left. Will it keep overwinter inside or should i just dump and re-mix next Spring?

Thanks in advance.

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Re: Urea and BLKH storage

Post by ken-n-nancy » August 19th, 2017, 8:01 pm

AndyNE wrote:
August 19th, 2017, 5:55 pm
I got stocked up on my fast-release urea at the farmer's co-op the other day and was wondering if it's ok to store it all in a tote. I bought 150 lbs which is enough for me for a couple of years.
Urea will basically keep forever if it is kept in a cool dry place. Mostly, you don't want it to get wet, or it will clump together and also lose some nitrogen to volatilisation. Avoid storing it in damp, humid place and it will be fine. It can be fairly corrosive to metal, so a plastic container would be wise.

I don't know about BLKH; others will though...

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » August 19th, 2017, 10:27 pm

+1 above. Just keep the urea dry. I have about 70 pounds in storage at the moment.

You can keep the BLKH for an indefinite period. It gets a bit skunky, but it's fine. You might want to loosen the cap just a tiny bit to allow it to out-gas if it's going to. I did once have a slight overflow when I didn't.

AndyNE
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 5000-10000

Post by AndyNE » August 20th, 2017, 9:13 am

Thanks guys. If the urea is in my shed overwinter, it should be fine, correct, so long as it stays dry? I should probably protect it from freezing.