Signs of Approaching Autumn Everywhere Here

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Signs of Approaching Autumn Everywhere Here

Post by andy10917 » August 20th, 2017, 10:09 am

The above-average rainfall for the Summer masked a fair number of the signs of late Summer and approaching Autumn, but here (Lower Hudson Valley of NY), the signs are now everywhere - they just can't be masked any more. Whether it's that first tree in town that always shows color far in advance of the other trees, or the "tired leaves" on the lawn when you're mowing, or the first signs that the grass is waking and going back to growth mode, or the "shedding" (brown blades inside a healthy lawn as the sun gets lower and weaker) - the hints that the season is beginning to change are here.

The "Fall Nitrogen Regimen" thread has been updated, and if you're going to do the Aggressive Regimen the time is here for the gentle wake-up call to the lawn with a Milorganite/Bay State/etc application.

You've got your Urea or Ammonium Sulfate ready-to-go, right? Nothing makes you look like an unprepared rookie quite like a post that you can't locate it when it's the middle of September.

For the newer members, here's a link to the Fall Nitrogen Regimens: Fall Nitrogen Regimens Thread

and here's a nice link to a calculator that helps you determine the average first frost date in your area: Average First Frost Date by Zip Code. You will do the regimens best if you start 6-8 weeks before first frost.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Re: Signs of Approaching Autumn Everywhere Here

Post by Green » August 20th, 2017, 12:27 pm

Andy...I just want to point out something about that zip code calculator.

When I put in a New Haven zip code, it gives me data based on the nearest station...which is in Litchfield/Norfolk area. I've said this before, but I'm pretty sure now that it's not really accurate for parts of CT...

Unless I'm not understanding how it works.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre

Post by andy10917 » August 20th, 2017, 1:32 pm

I believe the data comes from the USDA. You can adjust or use other sources for first frost date based on differences due to elevation, bodies of water, etc.

All I can do is provide a link to the calculator I've found to be the best over the years.

This is in the first posting of the thread:
Please note that this program uses timeframes that are appropriate for many areas in the Northeast and North Central areas. Modifications may be needed if you are close to very large bodies of water or in the Transition Zone (longer time between first-frost and growth stoppage), or in higher-elevation areas (shorter time between first-frost and growth stoppage).

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity

Post by ken-n-nancy » August 20th, 2017, 1:50 pm

andy10917 wrote:
August 20th, 2017, 10:09 am
... the signs of late Summer and approaching Autumn ... are now everywhere - they just can't be masked any more.
It does seem hard to believe that fall is approaching already, but I noticed this first red leaf from one of our maple trees had fallen on the side lawn which we renovated in the fall of 2015. I couldn't resist capturing a pic...

19 August 2017 - Fall Approaching!
Image(enlarge)

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG

Post by MorpheusPA » August 20th, 2017, 6:55 pm

I saw my first leaf today, from a neighbor's tree. (Mine tend to hold on until they freeze out, the side effect of extraordinarily high K levels).

Garden plants, while just peaking now, are beginning to set seed. I've already collected enough from the ageratum and cosmos, while collection has started from everything else--except the Easter Egg plant, which won't fully set seed until late September.

The lawn already shifted into early fall mode, although temperatures are still holding in the upper eighties and will for a while yet...

PSU4ME
Grass Type: Front: Bewitched/Midnight/Everglade Back: Midnight/Diva/Everest
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Post by PSU4ME » August 20th, 2017, 7:12 pm

Looks gorgeous Morph!

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity

Post by ken-n-nancy » August 20th, 2017, 8:13 pm

MorpheusPA wrote:
August 20th, 2017, 6:55 pm
Beautiful!

jfoege
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by jfoege » August 20th, 2017, 11:28 pm

I find that the data listed for the "Shepaug Dam" climate station from this pdf is most accurate for my location:

http://www.webgrower.com/regional/frost-pdf/CT.pdf

Sorry. Not attempting to hijack the thread!

Signs of Autumn here? The trees are already dropping acorns...How I LOVE raking up acorns!

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)

Post by Green » August 21st, 2017, 12:07 am

I guess Shepaug would be pretty accurate for both of us considering its location. I never knew where it was. Thanks.

Oldschool
Grass Type: Kentucky Bluegrass
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

Post by Oldschool » August 21st, 2017, 8:33 am

My lawn is in full per-up mode for at least 10 days now. Mowing every three days. Fall regimen started first of August so I'm "off to the races".