Is overseeding a must and Fall nitrogen regimen.

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
daimbert
Grass Type: Hogan Blend TTTF
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Is overseeding a must and Fall nitrogen regimen.

Post by daimbert » August 20th, 2017, 2:00 pm

Hello everyone,

I would like to start by thanking everyone with all the advice over the years. My lawn has come a long way compared to when I first gotten my home.

Now that September is fast approaching, I wanted to pick everyones brain. Considering I have a Hogan Blend TTTF lawn, will overseeding be required every year? If so, will I need to continue using Hogan Blend or will it be advantageous to use other seed cultivars. I don't mind doing so but here in Long Island I have access to Delalio Seed blend which consist of the following. If anyone have any suggestion please feel free to tell me.

35% Xtreme Green Tall Fescue Item No.238 25 lbs
35% DaVinci Tall Fescue
30% Titanium LS Tall Fescue

In addition to the above, how do I overseed and do the fall nitrogen regimen?

Thanks

probasesteal
Grass Type: FRONT: SPF30, NuGlad and Midnight. BACK: Hogan's TTTF with SPF30 HBG

Re: Is overseeding a must and Fall nitrogen regimen.

Post by probasesteal » August 20th, 2017, 5:48 pm

Overseeding shouldn't be required every year. If you have spots that are thin or have died, I'd consider seeding those spots. TTTF is still susceptible to brown patch and other disease.
More cultivars is up to you. Do you like what you have? Would you be ok with another cultivars that might be a little different? Chances are the Hogan blend may have changed slightly from years past.

northeastlawn
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Experienced

Post by northeastlawn » August 20th, 2017, 5:59 pm

daimbert wrote:
August 20th, 2017, 2:00 pm
In addition to the above, how do I overseed and do the fall nitrogen regimen?
I think there are trade-offs to a lot of things on this site.

If your lawn has bad spots, over-seed them and don't spoon feed it in the fall. That is a much better option than a spring over-seed. You can make up for it by winterizing it in November/December and then you can properly put down pre-m in the spring w/o worry. The grass will be ready for the next spring.

I had a diffrent type of lawn (Northern Mix), but rolled the dice on the over-seed last year and didn't find it filled in. I ended up over-seeding inn the spring, which is bad. I should have over-seed that fall and just winterized.

Over-seeding just gets in the way of summer POA pre-m apps and fall fertilizer programs. KBG lawns are much better suited to those two things.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » August 20th, 2017, 7:05 pm

I don't know why the Fall Nitrogen Regimen needs to be skipped if you seeded - just make sure that you don't do weekly urea apps until Sprout and Pout is completed in all areas. If done right, it should enhance the quality of the lawn that goes to sleep.

RockinMyLawn
Grass Type: Fescue

Post by RockinMyLawn » August 21st, 2017, 10:25 am

northeastlawn wrote:
August 20th, 2017, 5:59 pm

Over-seeding just gets in the way of summer POA pre-m apps and fall fertilizer programs.
1) My Prodiamine WDG 65 label says I can lay it down as Pre_M 60 days after seed down - so I think Pre_M does work with overseeding according to the label.

2) As for the fall regimen - that can work also with overseeding - if planned thoroughly - as Andy mentioned above.

I plan to do #1 above in Central VA after laying down seed on Sept 2nd. & deploying the Prodiamine on ~ Nov 2nd+.
Plan to do #2 as a winterizer only in late Nov/early Dec.