Going dormant?

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
Billybob
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Going dormant?

Post by Billybob » September 22nd, 2017, 4:32 pm

All the lawns in the neighborhood are turning brown. Including mine.....I watered yesterday about 1" but looks like it would if you let it go dormant in July. We are having Indian summer, the next 3 days supposed to be in 90s.

I stopped all nitrogen, except last week did 1/2 bag rate of milo to try and perk things up but nothing. This is the worst my lawn has ever looked at end sept. Good example that calanders don't work

LawnDonut
Grass Type: (Front) Midnight and Bewitched; (Back) Northern mix

Re: Going dormant?

Post by LawnDonut » September 22nd, 2017, 5:49 pm

Yes, definitely an odd September. It has been in the upper 80's in Central Indiana for over a week and it looks like we will have 4 more days ahead just like it. I put down a full dose of synthetic nitrogen a little over a week ago and now wish that I didn't. o well. Sprinklers are coming out tomorrow morning.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by Green » September 22nd, 2017, 9:52 pm

This time of year is tough when it's dry. I have a feeling it's because of the sun angle...some areas that don't normally get sun get more this time of year, and other areas get less than usual, depending on whether they're on the northeast side of a building or whatnot.

Would be interesting to see what soil temps are like now.

lVlrBoJang1es
Grass Type: KBG
Level: Some Experience

Post by lVlrBoJang1es » September 25th, 2017, 7:22 am

I'm in the same boat; I'd go as far as saying that my lawn looks the worst it's looked all year.

I started lowering my cut height in early September to 2.5" over the span of 2-3 cuts. Doing so was a bit of an experiment to see if more airflow, less surface moisture retention, and chopping off plagued top growth would clear up my rust issues and "BBDB".

3 Weeks later and we're in the middle of the longest of over-85-degree-temperature streak we've had all year...

Oddly, i've been watering AS much as i was in the middle of summer (dictated by stress signs) and the turf appearance is slowly going down hill day by day. I know that in my particular case, the loss of aesthetic appeal is due to my above mentioned experimentation - the other lawns on the block look on par with what you'd expect at this time of year.

I still have faith that the appearance will return once the heat breaks. Just a bit disheartening at the moment :sorry:

gave20
Grass Type: tall fescue

Post by gave20 » September 26th, 2017, 3:53 pm

^ this except I can't water. I hit 2.5" right in time for the heat. we've had 1.7 inches on a normal 3.7" month and even the 1.7" is a farce; only two rains were over .5".

seiyafan
Grass Type: Bewitched mono and TTTF/KBG mix

Post by seiyafan » September 26th, 2017, 5:48 pm

Here it's been rainless for 3 weeks. I feel sorry for the average homeowners who dropped seeds in the middle of the month but didn't provide adequate irrigation afterwards.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Level: Experienced

Post by Green » September 26th, 2017, 11:18 pm

At least 2+ weeks without rain here, too, and there may not be any in the forecast for the next week, either. I think I heard on the Weather channel that it's due to the weather patterns resulting from the hurricanes and how they've interacted with other forces. The moisture is essentially sucked away from much of the northeast and upper mid-atlantic right now.

Lawns are going brown here...trying not to let my low-input area get too bad.