Newly seeded KBG

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
goneflying87
Grass Type: Kentucky Bluegrass
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Newly seeded KBG

Post by goneflying87 » September 23rd, 2017, 4:18 pm

Hello my fellow comrades, I just renovated my lawn since I decided to start off fresh! About two years ago I planted from seed KBG in which I fell in love with it, nice deep Greenish/Blue color. My neighbor is a gardener and he always stopped by my lawn to look at the grass and asked me what kind of grass I planted, I told him and he never heard it.

Everything was going well until I left for a week for vacations and the grass burned since I had applied fertilizer triple 15. Of course no one in the household kept up with the watering. I remember that I planted the grass during the Fall season late Sep/ early Oct. I was pretty amazed that it grew very fast.

Now this year I decided to start from fresh since my lawn was patches of weeds and grass. I applied Roundup grass and weed killer in which I got rid of everything including the grass. I waited for a couple of weeks and then again did a 2nd treatment to kill whatever came up and a final 3rd application. This was in the months of June and July, in which in late July I hired my neighbors helper to do my lawn. I purchased KGB seeds, manure, and grass accelerate by Greenview. At the time everything was done (leveling, manure application, seeding) it was on Labor Day weekend in which we did have a heat wave here in Southern California for a week and a half (temps from 75-98) but did the watering daily at night time (2200 hrs). Its been a bit over 3 weeks in which now I am starting to see the grass barely germinate on some areas while over areas are already grown with some small patches. I am seen weeds grow with it as well growing quicker than the grass. I thought it was no biggie until it seems like its getting out of control! :banghead: Now that I see that some are hard to pull out since the root is pretty well set in the soil I am in the border of going out guns blazing with some Herbicides but knowing that my lawn is just too premature for it is been thrown out of the equation, can anyone here recommend me on what to do. Any methods to follow or Herbicides to apply. Greatly appreciated.

Here are some pictures:
Clover shape weed and the thick flat weed (that one does take effort to remove)

Marinegrunt
Grass Type: TTTF + 10% KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Re: Newly seeded KBG

Post by Marinegrunt » September 23rd, 2017, 8:32 pm

Most people apply Tenacity at seed down which prevents a lot of weed pressure. It's not the end of the world that you didn't. Not everyone applies it. It won't stop all weeds though.

A lot of broadleaf weeds are easy to get rid off. Just relax for now and let the grass mature. If you start going crazy with herbicides now you'll likely cause more harm than good. If you want to get a head start you could hand pull or paint each individual weed with roundup. If the roots are deep take an ice pick or screwdriver and circle it around the root first. I would think they would pull up fine if the soil is moist. You want to be careful walking on it though and especially when wet. The other option is getting a small paintbrush, filling a cup with roundup, and carefully painting each weed without dripping it on the good grass.

Read the labels on herbicides. Most say to only use after 30 days, after the 2nd mowing, or whichever is longer. Make sure you also pay attention to temperatures when you apply it. I think some say not to use if it's over 85° or something. Always read the label.

Others will chime in too.

I didn't know bluegrass would survive in Southern Cal.

goneflying87

Post by goneflying87 » September 25th, 2017, 12:57 pm

Marinegrunt wrote:
September 23rd, 2017, 8:32 pm
Most people apply Tenacity at seed down which prevents a lot of weed pressure. It's not the end of the world that you didn't. Not everyone applies it. It won't stop all weeds though.

A lot of broadleaf weeds are easy to get rid off. Just relax for now and let the grass mature. If you start going crazy with herbicides now you'll likely cause more harm than good. If you want to get a head start you could hand pull or paint each individual weed with roundup. If the roots are deep take an ice pick or screwdriver and circle it around the root first. I would think they would pull up fine if the soil is moist. You want to be careful walking on it though and especially when wet. The other option is getting a small paintbrush, filling a cup with roundup, and carefully painting each weed without dripping it on the good grass.

Read the labels on herbicides. Most say to only use after 30 days, after the 2nd mowing, or whichever is longer. Make sure you also pay attention to temperatures when you apply it. I think some say not to use if it's over 85° or something. Always read the label.

Others will chime in too.

I didn't know bluegrass would survive in Southern Cal.

My neighbor was telling me to relax as well that it is common for that to happen. Once the first mow happens it should go away and they will not grow back. For now to keep watering it and let the grass fully grow. My concern is that I still have some patchy areas in which other areas the grass is getting pretty long. As for near the side walk I am getting a lot of weeds growing. Yesterday I did added some Scotts starter turf builder grass food, just added a bit but I am ensuring that I keep up with the water.

Now you know that Bluegrass does survive in Sunny California lol, we are now having favorable weather for it to grow since it gets in the 60's at night and mid 70's in the day. Currently getting a lot of compliments on the grass and telling me to take care of the weeds but I will have to wait and not go guns blazing with the herbicides.

Marinegrunt

Post by Marinegrunt » September 25th, 2017, 6:18 pm

I doubt just mowing will the weeds disappear. I'm not sure how the growth cycle of weeds are out there but ours die off in the winter. The perennial weeds will come back from the root or from seeds dropped. Annual weeds completely die off but will grow back from any seeds it dropped. That's where you want to use a pre emergent in the fall and again in the spring. A pre m will prevent weeds from growing. A post m is for killing any weeds that make it through the pre m barrier or for weeds that already sprouted. Most people use either dimension or barricade. Both have a generic which is cheaper. You want to make sure you're grass is mature enough to handle them. I think dimension can be used sooner than barricade but you'll want to read the labels to be sure. After the pre m you then want to either spot treat any weeds or, if you have a whole lawn full, you can blanket spray. The type of post m is dependent on what weeds you have. There is no post m that is safe for grass that will kill every type of weed. There are a few different kinds that are normally needed. That's where identifying the type of weeds can be handy. You'll then know what to use.

Just wait until the grass is mature enough. Some post emergents will say 30 days since germination or after the 2nd mowing.

Read the article linked below. There are also other great reads in the article section. To get there click on "home" above. Then click on the 3 lines in the upper left corner. That will bring up the different articles.

bernstem
Grass Type: Front: Solar Eclipse/Award/Bewitched/Moonlight SLT/Prosperity Back: Solar Eclipse Monostand + Bewitched (shade)

Post by bernstem » September 26th, 2017, 8:27 am

Look at these two articles (they can be found in the sticky post at the top of this forum):
https://aroundtheyard.com/index.php?opt ... Itemid=117

Marinegrunt

Post by Marinegrunt » September 26th, 2017, 9:19 am

bernstem wrote:
September 26th, 2017, 8:27 am
Look at these two articles (they can be found in the sticky post at the top of this forum):
Thanks Berstem. I meant to link the Triangle Approach in my last post. The Pre M article you linked will be very helpful to him too.

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » September 26th, 2017, 11:57 am

+1 to berny :)

Start the post-emergent herbicides (triangle approach linked above) when your turf is mature enough to handle it.

If you want to start on those weeds sooner, Tenacity can be applied 4 weeks after germination @ 4 oz / ACRE rate rate (liquid form) <-- NOTE THIS IS PER ACRE NOT PER K!!!! It's a tiny, tiny amount.

Apply a real pre-emergent when the turf is strong enough to handle it( they vary - usually 60 days + from germination - read your label). This will help minimize things like poa annua and chickweed that like cooler temperatures. Especially if your winter is mild like LA, this fall app is recommended.

Lightly fertilize weekly for 3- 4 weeks ( < 1/2 lb / K Nitrogen) , water in often.

Mow low and often to help it spread, as soon as you can. (never take off more than 1/3 blade)

You have great coverage, just need to feed what you want and kill what you don't.

goneflying87

Post by goneflying87 » October 16th, 2017, 1:52 pm

Its been nearly a month and a half, the weeds got bigger, no grass in side and temp have escalated to 90 and 80's for this week (California mother nature!) I am uncertain if I should break the soil up with a gardening claw and reseed it, its a section about 25 ft but 35 ft if my calculations are right. So far I added Scotts seed grass food/fertilizer and its been growing like crazy on one section, I am mowing about once every two or a week and a half. Been watering on a daily basis at night where temps have been pretty favorable in the 55-70's. Now the lawn section at the sidewalk yeah that one is still bald and came to notice that my gardener used the manure too heavy. I did saw a video on youtube (The Lawn Care Nut) in where he actually covered some section of the seeds with a light layer just but grabbing a handful of manuer and rubbing it with his hands. I did tried that method on a small bald section and have to say it worked. I have mowed the lawn about 3 times, can I applied milorganite already?