Spread more seed... or ride it out? - NoNet Fescue

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
PW405
Grass Type: Primary: TTTF (blend), KBG. Bermuda (hellstrip)
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Experienced

Spread more seed... or ride it out? - NoNet Fescue

Post by PW405 » September 28th, 2017, 7:54 pm

I dropped Jacklin NoNet fescue seed 9 days ago on a roughly 1K partially established fescue area. I really struggled with the seeding rate, as Jacklin suggests that 4-6lbs/k for overseed, and up to 10lbs/k on new lawns. I wound up using 5.5 lbs for the 1k area, as a few small sections were essentially a "new" lawn.

Instead of spreading more and fearing the inevitable scolding from Andy, I stuck with the suggested rate - albeit with a few minor variances for the "new" sections. You'd be proud of me Andy, I fought the urge to seed heavier with every fiber of my being.

I applied Seed Coat, rolled seed in, and top dressed with peat. Between days 7-8, we wound up with 4" of rain. While I'm sure I lost some seed, it certainly could have been worse. A late night re-construction & extension of a gutter spout really paid off!

So... whaddya think? Should I drop a little more on these areas or wait and see?

I want to pursue the aggressive fall N apps. Average first frost is November 15th. So, I've got some time to either ride it out, or plant a little more.

"New" lawn area:

Overseed area:

PW405

Re: Spread more seed... or ride it out? - NoNet Fescue

Post by PW405 » September 28th, 2017, 8:15 pm

Oops, clicked Post instead of Add Image. Here's a different angle:

STL
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by STL » September 28th, 2017, 8:24 pm

I think you're good to go with that. Looks nice and even actually. I had bigger gaps with my tttf Reno and it all thickened up. Each of those seedlings will get much bigger as the mature and tiller.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by Green » September 28th, 2017, 8:34 pm

9 days is nothing when you're dealing with a 14-day germination time. You still have time to see what happens, and whether you need to add more or not. I'd wait at least 5-6 more days. But not too long.

PW405

Post by PW405 » September 28th, 2017, 9:02 pm

Ok sounds good, given the claimed "spreading" nature of this cultivar, I figured leaning toward the lighter side might not be much of a problem. I'm excited to see the results. I've seen other members asking about this cultivar, but I don't know if anybody has actually tried it and posted results here. I'll certainly be torture-testing in my climate next summer!

I'm debating starting a thread to track progress from seed-down through next fall. My backyard section is very small, but it won't be mixed with other fescue cultivars like the front is. Should provide a good testing environment.

Zareth
Grass Type: Renovating to Midnight KBG and LS1200 Tall fescue

Post by Zareth » September 30th, 2017, 6:58 pm

Green wrote:
September 28th, 2017, 8:34 pm
9 days is nothing when you're dealing with a 14-day germination time. You still have time to see what happens, and whether you need to add more or not. I'd wait at least 5-6 more days. But not too long.
Where do you get a 14 day germination time?
TTTF is like 5-7 days

Green

Post by Green » September 30th, 2017, 7:15 pm

7-14 days is what everyone goes by for TTTF.

probasesteal
Grass Type: FRONT: SPF30, NuGlad and Midnight. BACK: Hogan's TTTF with SPF30 HBG

Post by probasesteal » September 30th, 2017, 10:23 pm

FYI NoNet is a mix, not a cultivar. Or so I've been told. Would love to see your seed label.

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000

Post by bpgreen » October 1st, 2017, 1:27 pm

Zareth wrote:
September 30th, 2017, 6:58 pm
Green wrote:
September 28th, 2017, 8:34 pm
Where do you get a 14 day germination time?
TTTF is like 5-7 days
Are you thinking of fine fescue?

Green

Post by Green » October 1st, 2017, 9:51 pm

probasesteal wrote:
September 30th, 2017, 10:23 pm
FYI NoNet is a mix, not a cultivar. Or so I've been told. Would love to see your seed label.
No-Net is neither a cultivar, nor mix. It's not a blend, either. It's actually a brand.

The No-Net I got recently was a single cultivar: "Flame" TTTF.

probasesteal
Grass Type: FRONT: SPF30, NuGlad and Midnight. BACK: Hogan's TTTF with SPF30 HBG

Post by probasesteal » October 2nd, 2017, 9:50 am

Green wrote:
October 1st, 2017, 9:51 pm
probasesteal wrote:
September 30th, 2017, 10:23 pm
No-Net is neither a cultivar, nor mix. It's not a blend, either. It's actually a brand.

The No-Net I got recently was a single cultivar: "Flame" TTTF.
Interesting, so it is a brand. However, it may be a "blend" or "mix" depending on when acquired. This is based on what Bob Hogan told me. No actual experience.

Leakytires
Grass Type: Bluegrass/Rye

Post by Leakytires » October 2nd, 2017, 4:01 pm

NoNet, maybe spelling is important, seems to be a cultivar of tttf developed at Jacklin Seed by Simplot.

http://techsheets.simplot.com/Jacklin/n ... fescue.pdf

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both

Post by bpgreen » October 2nd, 2017, 5:40 pm

Leakytires wrote:
October 2nd, 2017, 4:01 pm
NoNet, maybe spelling is important, seems to be a cultivar of tttf developed at Jacklin Seed by Simplot.

I found this that seems to indicate that it's more of a marketing term for more than one cultivar that's supposed to be rhizomatous tall fescue.

Leakytires

Post by Leakytires » October 2nd, 2017, 5:54 pm

bpgreen wrote:
October 2nd, 2017, 5:40 pm
Leakytires wrote:

I found this that seems to indicate that it's more of a marketing term for more than one cultivar that's supposed to be rhizomatous tall fescue.
That does muddy the waters a little, which is why I said that maybe spelling is important. Presumably Jacklin has secured the right to use “NoNet” for the cultivar of tttf it developed while people in Europe have been aplying the term no-net or something similar to certain varieties of seeds that were currently available in Europe at that time.

The OP was asking about the seed from Jacklin.

bpgreen

Post by bpgreen » October 2nd, 2017, 7:53 pm

Leakytires wrote:
October 2nd, 2017, 5:54 pm
bpgreen wrote:
October 2nd, 2017, 5:40 pm
Leakytires wrote:

That does muddy the waters a little, which is why I said that maybe spelling is important. Presumably Jacklin has secured the right to use “NoNet” for the cultivar of tttf it developed while people in Europe have been aplying the term no-net or something similar to certain varieties of seeds that were currently available in Europe at that time.

The OP was asking about the seed from Jacklin.
Of you click the link in my post, you'll see that it's about seed from Jacklin and uses the spelling NoNet. That's why I linked it.

Leakytires

Post by Leakytires » October 2nd, 2017, 8:00 pm

Sorry, maybe we are misunderstanding each other.

PW405

Post by PW405 » October 2nd, 2017, 8:24 pm

Yes, I was inquiring about Jacklin's "brand" of fescue seed, marketed as "NoNet Spreading Tall Fescue". Named for the supposed ability of sod farmers to not require the plastic netting that is common in other fescue sod. However, others have spoke with Jacklin and they indicated the actual name of the cultivar will vary, based on the year, or other harvest related factors. "NoNet" apparently applies to a handful of different cultivars. The cultivar I got was "Flame Tall Fescue". Purchased from United Seed.

Here's the tag that came on the bag:

Leakytires

Post by Leakytires » October 2nd, 2017, 10:33 pm

I’m just ranting now, but I’m as surprised by this as anybody else may be, but that doesn’t make any sense to me at all. None of the information on the tech sheet from Jacklin or information provided by Untied Seeds says anything about NoNet being a brand, mix, or blend. In all of United Seeds' information for their other blends and mixes they clearly state the cultivars and varieties used in the mix or blend, and what they may substitute for them.

Why do we need a new name for a type of tttf when it’s just going to be a cultivar or variety of seed like Flame or Sunlight that currently exists and is available, and what kind of a surprise is it for all the customers that thought they were getting a unique cultivar?

I don’t understand why they would be so misleading about it. I think I want my money back and I haven’t even bought any yet. Lol.

Leakytires

Post by Leakytires » October 2nd, 2017, 11:05 pm

Flame tttf is also owned by Jacklin. Could it be that Jacklin has been unable to supply NoNet and is distributing Flame as a substitute, or did they trademark a name just to sell whatever they happen to have on hand. Something funny is going on here.

http://premiumgreen.it/SCHEDE_TECNICHE/ ... _FLAME.pdf

PW405

Post by PW405 » October 2nd, 2017, 11:07 pm

Leakytires wrote:
October 2nd, 2017, 10:33 pm
I’m just ranting now, but I’m as surprised by this as anybody else may be, but that doesn’t make any sense to me at all. None of the information on the tech sheet from Jacklin or information provided by Untied Seeds says anything about NoNet being a brand, mix, or blend. In all of United Seeds' information for their other blends and mixes they clearly state the cultivars and varieties used in the mix or blend, and what they may substitute for them.

Why do we need a new name for a type of tttf when it’s just going to be a cultivar or variety of seed like Flame or Sunlight that currently exists and is available, and what kind of a surprise is it for all the customers that thought they were getting a unique cultivar?

I don’t understand why they would be so misleading about it. I think I want my money back and I haven’t even bought any yet. Lol.
I've had these same thoughts... I would guess it is a case of a successful accidental marketing campaign. "Hey, Jacklin - what should we name this fescue that likes to spread" - "Dunno, lets call it NoNet for now, come up with something better later".

I've found this document that calls the Flame cultivar by name, but you'll find it is merely a different header on the same sheet that advertises "NoNet":
http://premiumgreen.it/SCHEDE_TECNICHE/ ... _FLAME.pdf

I don't really have high expectations for the spreading ability, but figured I would take one for the ATY team and document the performance since I've seen other members inquiring about it, but not any real-world uses. Twelve days have passed since seed down, and I'm liking what I'm seeing so far. Sprouts are ~3" high and starting to darken in color a bit. Look for more updates soon!