Pythium blight and my renovation

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
LearningEveryday
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Pythium blight and my renovation

Post by LearningEveryday » October 10th, 2017, 3:35 pm

Second mow today of my current TTTF renovation. It was flawless...until...Pythium blight everywhere! I'm hitting it hard with Headway-G this evening, rain is on the way overnight and tomorrow. What can I expect to happen here? I caught it soon but the gray cobwebs were everywhere and the spots were not looking good at all. Lesco store said put down some seed behind the HeadwayG in a week, even though it's late in the season.

October 10th and I'm dealing with lawn disease. It's been extremely warm and muggy. 10 day Forecast is for more warm and muggy temps.

JohnP
Grass Type: KBG Mix

Re: Pythium blight and my renovation

Post by JohnP » October 10th, 2017, 7:25 pm

Marinegrunt went through similar in his renovation thread. Subdue Max is what he used (double check spelling).

LearningEveryday

Post by LearningEveryday » October 11th, 2017, 1:57 pm

It was between Subdue and Headway at my local specialty store. Both products had Pythium blight listed. Subdue was a lot more expensive for something that already costs a lot. They said Subdue is the premier product for Pythium blight but that I will just fine with the Headway and will save a lot of money. They also said I will most likely have to treat for it next year and to go with Subdue to change things up.

JohnP
Grass Type: KBG Mix

Post by JohnP » October 11th, 2017, 6:01 pm

I think MG said it was like $600/Gallon at his SiteOne, bought it online in the end.

Marinegrunt
Grass Type: TTTF + 10% KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Post by Marinegrunt » October 11th, 2017, 7:22 pm

I ended up ordering a quart of Subdue Maxx online because no way was I spending $600 on a gallon. Heck, it was tough pulling the trigger on a quart. I think the Heritage G was like $100 for 30 pounds and I'd only get one application out of it. The Subdue Maxx was $190 a quart but I'll be able to get 5-8 applications depending on how strong I mix it. I didn't look into the Heritage too much so I might be a bit off on the rate for 30 lbs.

Anyways, the spots I noticed would be "cobwebs" one day and dead as can be the next. I lost a lot of my 3 week old seedlings. Well, I guess they were 2 weeks old and was 3 weeks since seed down (September 1st). I stopped watering right away but, it was so hot and humid, the grass would have dew an hour after sun down. It took about a week plus cooler temps before it stopped. By the time I received the Subdue the Pythium had pretty much stopped spreading. I put some down ahead of spot seeding though. One thing I can say of mine is if it had a "cobweb" the spot died. Maybe you'll have better luck stopping it because you identified it correctly and got on it fast. There are pictures of mine in my reno thread and also in another thread titled something like "What the he.. is this" in the cool season grass category.

I'm considering another app of Subdue Maxx. It hasn't been hot but we've had a bunch of rain over the last 4-5 days and the ground hasn't dried out since it started.

LearningEveryday

Post by LearningEveryday » October 11th, 2017, 10:12 pm

I applied it yesterday before 3 days of forecasted rain. I'll be able to see what is going on with the lawn on Sunday when I mow. Luckily since it's going to be warm for awhile, I think I can get away with a low mow to remove most of the dead blades and spot seeding next week.