Weed ID help & Recommendations after seeding/overseeding (PICS)

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
nutshellml
Grass Type: Rye, Fescue, KBG
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Weed ID help & Recommendations after seeding/overseeding (PICS)

Post by nutshellml » October 11th, 2017, 7:49 am

Morning all,

I'm on a soil plan thanks to the folks here.

I have recently seeded some larger bare spots and also overseeded. This was approximately 3 weeks ago. I have a few questions:

1) I've noticed a purple type clover weed invading an area in my front lawn. It's mixed in with the grass and newly seeded areas. Need some help identifying them and also recommendation on the best way to get rid of them with a REMINDER that I have just seeded and overseeded many parts of the lawn.

2) The below photos are in a area where I have just seeded an entire bare patch. Seems as if more clovers this time green ones are starting to growing. Same question: Need some help identifying them and also recommendation on the best way to get rid of them with a REMINDER that I have just newly seeded this area.

3) Finally, I was planning to put down a broad-leaf weed killer, BUT concerned about the new grass I planted, most killers recommend 8 weeks. DO I have time to wait another 3-4 weeks to apply that or will it be too late. I'm located in Northern NJ.

Thanks in advance!

Marinegrunt
Grass Type: TTTF + 10% KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Re: Weed ID help & Recommendations after seeding/overseeding (PICS)

Post by Marinegrunt » October 11th, 2017, 10:44 am

It's too soon to use weed killer or you risk killing the seedlings. If the herbicide label says 8 weeks I would wait 8 weeks or close to. I'm not sure what the weeds are but they'll likely die off over winter. Just be sure to get a pre m down to keep them from popping back up next year.

With the seedlings being young I don't think much can be done right now. You could pull them or paint them with glypho if they're bugging too much. For now I wouldn't worry about them.

Others with more experience will chime in too.