Trial by fire: first year and now fungus

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
UrbyTuesday
Grass Type: Tall Fescue and Weed mix
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Trial by fire: first year and now fungus

Post by UrbyTuesday » October 12th, 2017, 9:31 am

Ridiculous temps and humidity in Charlotte the past week have started to damage my first ATY-inspired overseed.
I've learned pretty much everything I know about TTTF since August. Things were going relatively well despite 0.9" of rain in the entire month of September.

It's been truly miserable here for the past 5-6 days. 87 yesterday, lows in low 70s, humidity so thick the glass doors are fogged up in the morning with water running down them.

As it would happen, this morning I see the first signs of fungus after traveling for work the past two days. From what I have read, I need to act quickly so it won't spread.

Can you guys help me I.D. this fungus and give me some suggestions to treat it? It's in a number of spots in the yard. There's also a similar type of thing invading my bermuda hell strip. All I know about fungus are the names of the different types and some of the herbicides to treat like Subdue Maxx (IIRC) and the Home Depot Bayer stuff, but find it a bit difficult to I.D. one from another - blight vs. brown patch for example. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Marinegrunt
Grass Type: TTTF + 10% KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Re: Trial by fire: first year and now fungus

Post by Marinegrunt » October 12th, 2017, 9:10 pm

Are you getting the "cobwebs" in any spots? They seem to show up more in the morning dew although mine seemed to show around the clock.

If it's Pythium Blight you definitely want to act fast as it can spread extremely quick at times. Mine sure did. If it's Pythium Blight you should notice the "cobwebs". The grass will also have a sort of greasy feel to it. I noticed a reddish color on the soil after a few days. They also say there is somewhat of a purple ring around the outer edge but I didn't really see it.

Maybe see if you can take a closer picture. My "cobwebs" were white but it's hard to tell if you have a darker form of mycelium. You can see pictures of mine under my reno thread or here viewtopic.php?f=4&t=23342

If it's Brown Patch or Dollar Spot Propicazonole should take care of it. If it's Pythium Blight it's either Subdue Maxx or Heritage G. I went with Subdue Maxx because I think it was cheaper per application and seemed to be preferred for Pythium Blight. I'm sure Heritage works well too.

Urea can also help depending on the fungus. Just make sure you know what fungus you have. I thought I had Dollar Spot, applied urea, and it caused the Pythium Blight to spread like crazy. I'm sure the hot and humid weather was a big reason but the urea didn't help. Just don't get in a rush and be 100% before adding any fertilizer.

73Chall
Grass Type: Tall Fescue

Post by 73Chall » October 12th, 2017, 9:38 pm

You’re correct about need8n* to act fast; so fast in fact, I believe I would run not walk to DoMyOwnPestControl and get my hands on the widest spectrum fungicide I could. I might recommend Eagle as it does not appear you’re dealing with dollar spot but, the safest (certainly not the cheapest) alternative may be Heritage WDG. Perhaps a more knowledgeable “fungal fighter” may put in.

I am an hour north of you and my first and only experience with fungus last year was so devastating that now I do whatever is necessary to implement a PREVENTION program beginning in late May and running through til first frost. This year that meant ordering a gallon of Eagle (I love that stuff!) and 4lbs of Heritage (holy crap it’s exoensive!) and spraying each twice, 14-21 days apart (depending upon temps and humidity (when nighttime temps and humidity add up to 150, Watch Out!) and then BE SURE TO ALTERNATE TO THE OTHER (different mechanism) product so as to create a resistant strain in your turf (bad, bad job-job).

Not only has the entire 30,000 sf (did I mention outrageously expen$ive?!) been absolutely fungus free but, I swear the absence of fungus must do something as a growth enhancer as everythin* has been incredibly thick and lush without any fertilizer (I learned my le$$on last year; ANY nitrogen after March-April for me is a sure fungus enhancer!)

Act fast and best o’ success

PS - you might as well just go ahead and get a gallon of the Eagle — you’re in Charlotte and you WILL need it next year!

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » October 12th, 2017, 9:39 pm

There are many fungal diseases, and it's a bad idea to apply things when you don't know what it is, or to take advice from people that have had one fungus (no matter how well-intentioned). The "cobwebs" are probably Mycellium, and enough fungal diseases have it that it isn't a good way to tell one disease from another.

73Chall

Post by 73Chall » October 12th, 2017, 11:00 pm

Andy’s right, of course (especially re: intentions (I lost most of my backyard trying to identify exactly, specifically, precisely what fungus I had last year and I hate to see anyone endure that kind of loss).

Urby, since it is so difficult to get answers even by posting very good pics, I hope this reference assists you in identifying it (hopefully before it spreads to point of diminished returns whatever you decide to use): http://grounds-mag.com/mag/grounds_main ... nfab_five/

Cerainly, I t is crazy (and irresponsible) to just “spray” or “spread” without knowing what specific pest or disease one is dealing with. At the same time, while doing my research on how best (and most responsibly to implement a preventative program) a Dow scientist pointed out to me earlier this year that, by implementing a preventative program (sometimes necessary in hot, humid, fungal prone climates) I was in fact taking action without targeting one, specific fungus.

(I’m blissfully fungus free this year and hope you are also, sooner than later!)

I sure hope someone here can help you identify it!

And, here is basis of my reliance upon somewhat wide spectrum Eagle (courtesy of another, more informed ATY member who also came to my assist!): https://s27.postimg.cc/ir4em0tep/Scree ... 2.jpg?dl=1

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity
Level: Experienced

Post by ken-n-nancy » October 13th, 2017, 9:36 am

73Chall wrote:
October 12th, 2017, 11:00 pm
And, here is basis of my reliance upon somewhat wide spectrum Eagle (courtesy of another, more informed ATY member who also came to my assist!): https://s27.postimg.cc/ir4em0tep/Scree ... 2.jpg?dl=1
For any interested, the excellent table linked above comes from the University of Georgia Cooperative Extension's Guide to Turfgrass Fungicides which is a fantastic resource on the topic of selection of a specific fungicide for a particular lawn disease. The table can be located on pages 30 and 31.

UrbyTuesday

Post by UrbyTuesday » October 13th, 2017, 10:08 am

Thanks for the research papers and references fellas. I will take a look!

I also found this 'Wizard' fungus identifier on the NC State site, but still not exactly sure what it is.

http://www.turffiles.ncsu.edu/utilities ... tification

I took off work early to mow it yesterday because there was some sun and lower humidity in the afternoon...hoping for it to dry out. Got the grass mowed (bagged bad areas and washed the mower) but then the drizzle started. I'd picked up some Bayer Propiconazole from Home Depot but there was never time for it to dry even if I'd sprayed before mowing.

Looks like I've got about 3-4 more days of borderline fungus pressure until the weather starts to get a little better. It's a lot cooler today but I need to get that ID done ASAP. It doesn't seem to have spread much in the past 48 hours honestly. I might just go ahead with the Bayer app in that small area just in case. I was a little aggressive overseeding that little side plot because I've never done this before and the stand is a tad too dense there.

I didn't know jack about NPK or tall fescue until August of this year. Got remarried last October and the lawn service was handling it all. And this summer I began to see what a year of their treatments had gotten me :blackeye: When they left a huge mower rut in a newly seeded area I officially demoted them to backyard duty only for now.

73Chall, I'd love to compare Charlotte/Transition zone notes once I get permission to PM at some point (if that's possible). I've got 25k sf total of lawn with about 5 different micro-climates to address :shock: smack in the middle of Charlotte so I've got my work cut out for me!

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » October 13th, 2017, 10:17 am

I see pretty long grass which is flopped over. Consider the cultural methods that keep turf dry and growing well - which will do a great deal to prevent disease. Things like a shorter mowing height, good feeding to remove diseased material, bag mowing when appropriate, help prevent fungus problems which thrive on the big, long wet leaves that are there for a long time.

And read up on preventative fungal programs. You live in the transition zone and have tttf, so it's likely you'll need to figure out a strategy to prevent it, particularly if you are going to provide that turf lots of nutrients. Fungus like that too :D

Marinegrunt
Grass Type: TTTF + 10% KBG
Level: Some Experience

Post by Marinegrunt » October 13th, 2017, 7:23 pm

andy10917 wrote:
October 12th, 2017, 9:39 pm
There are many fungal diseases, and it's a bad idea to apply things when you don't know what it is, or to take advice from people that have had one fungus (no matter how well-intentioned). The "cobwebs" are probably Mycellium, and enough fungal diseases have it that it isn't a good way to tell one disease from another.
That's why I told him to make sure he knows exactly what he has first. I jumped the gun thinking I had Dollar Spot when it was Pythium Blight and I paid for it too.

73Chall

Post by 73Chall » October 15th, 2017, 10:46 am

ken-n-nancy wrote:
October 13th, 2017, 9:36 am
For any interested, the excellent table linked above comes from the University of Georgia Cooperative Extension's Guide to Turfgrass Fungicides which is a fantastic resource on the topic of selection of a specific fungicide for a particular lawn disease. The table can be located on pages 30 and 31.
KnN, thanks again; that reference has saved me much head-scratching!

Urby, I realize its only been several days but, how goes it? Situation status quo, improved or . . .?

UrbyTuesday

Post by UrbyTuesday » October 16th, 2017, 10:06 am

Well, I was kinda at my wits end and did not have much more time to wait on a perfect I.D....which without quick communication on this bulletin board, I am left with the local SiteOne guys who told me ''just dont' worry about it." So I caved and just spritzed it with some Bayer from Home Depot.

I think it's probably contained (doesn't seem to be spreading) and I went very light on water the past few days. But I bet that spot is going to give me a lot of trouble going forward due to the cultural issues there as you noticed.

That grass has been sprouted since early September and remains floppy/soft/tender. I am pretty sure that's because I put too much seed down in that spot after squirrels dug several holes in it and the lawn guys laid their seed before I'd prepped the soil there and my various efforts to beat the terrible weather along with my general impatience with something that cannot be rushed.

Anyway, I am hoping that the Bayer helped and didn't completely destroy my microherd. I was very frugal in my application. I would still love to connect with you somehow about designing a strong transition zone anti-fungal strategy and compare other notes. My back yard is a complete wreck right now due to fungus and I am pretty much letting it go until next year. Neighbor's Bermuda has started to take over but at this point I'd settle for anything green back there. Needs a big reno next fall if and when my front yard 'proof of concept' wins over the wife : )

UrbyTuesday

Post by UrbyTuesday » October 18th, 2017, 5:27 am

I haven't seen any further evidence of the fungus spreading and the weather has started to cooperate. FINALLY some fall temps and the TTTF that I DO have is finally pointing toward the sky energetically. My 8 yr old stepdaughter asked my wife yesterday "how did he make the grass look like that?!"

I do have some damage spots though and they look kinda nasty honestly. The fungus aftermath. Does that stuff have to be dug out and the soil replaced to reseed?

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » October 18th, 2017, 12:09 pm

UrbyTuesday wrote:
October 18th, 2017, 5:27 am
I do have some damage spots though and they look kinda nasty honestly. The fungus aftermath. Does that stuff have to be dug out and the soil replaced to reseed?
Unless you have a soil born fungus like summer patch replacing the soil won't remove it.

If you seeded too heavily that may have been an issue. It will germinate fine then those spots will die out when the seedlings want to take off, which can look like fungus.

The Propicanazole in Bayer advanced is a good broad spectrum fungicide, I don't think applying it hurt anything. Heck they should start giving me royalties for all I mention it :) it seemed to help, right?

So now you know next year, this time of the season has a higher risk of this fungus, and you can tailor your cultural habits to preve t it. If you are very concerned look at a preventative biological fungicise program, or chemical fungicide program to keep it off. But, with a more mature stand next year and a year of experience knowing what to expect you will be much better prepared