EOY FAS Application

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
PSU4ME
Grass Type: Front: Bewitched/Midnight/Everglade Back: Midnight/Diva/Everest
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

EOY FAS Application

Post by PSU4ME » October 16th, 2017, 8:10 am

I’d like to do an app of FAS here towards the end of the year to get a nice deep green color to run through the winter season. I did the aggressive regimen this fall, last app went down last Wednesday, first frost is happening tmw morning so I’m on target for stopping now during the “pause”. I’ll plan for the winterizer application the week around T-day.

So for the FAS, is it a good idea to do an app and if so, when over the next 6 weeks would you suggest me applying it.....and most importantly why, so I can learn a little :)

Thanks

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: EOY FAS Application

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » October 16th, 2017, 9:56 am

I have done it before with good results. It stays greener longer as top growth is slowing and helps with winter color. The N isn't enough to trigger top growth of any significance so the chance of tissue damage is negligible. With that said I wouldn't saturate the grass the night before a big freeze or anything.

Marinegrunt
Grass Type: TTTF + 10% KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by Marinegrunt » October 16th, 2017, 10:31 am

I'm suppose to start applications of fas per recommendation of my soil test. I'll probably start next year since I still have seedlings. Did you source your as on eBay or is there a better place to get it?

PSU4ME

Post by PSU4ME » October 16th, 2017, 11:21 am

Thanks - I was mostly concerned about the impact the N would have either during the planned pause here or after growth would stop.

Am I better to apply it in more moderate temps (within the next 2 weeks) or would it still have the same "greening" effect once top growth stops knowing that i'd be into more colder days?

TimmyG
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Level: Experienced

Post by TimmyG » October 16th, 2017, 12:49 pm

Marinegrunt wrote:
October 16th, 2017, 10:31 am
I'm suppose to start applications of fas per recommendation of my soil test. I'll probably start next year since I still have seedlings. Did you source your as on eBay or is there a better place to get it?
PSU4ME and HLG are likely discussing foliar application of FAS using a powder form to produce an aesthetic result. I could be wrong, but I assume your soil test recommendation was for application of granular FAS to improve your soil iron. Two different products, and you absolutely want to make sure that you source the appropriate one.

For example, see Re: Billybob soil report back yard.

PSU4ME

Post by PSU4ME » October 16th, 2017, 12:53 pm

Yes, TimmyG is correct in my application of FAS. I'm looking for the iron from the mix to deepen up the greens in my lawn as it moves into its "winter appearance".

Marinegrunt

Post by Marinegrunt » October 16th, 2017, 1:16 pm

TimmyG wrote:
October 16th, 2017, 12:49 pm
Marinegrunt wrote:
October 16th, 2017, 10:31 am
PSU4ME and HLG are likely discussing foliar application of FAS using a powder form to produce an aesthetic result. I could be wrong, but I assume your soil test recommendation was for application of granular FAS to improve your soil iron. Two different products, and you absolutely want to make sure that you source the appropriate one.

For example, see Re: Billybob soil report back yard.
Thanks Timmy. I'm sure you're right so thanks for catching it and correcting me. I've just been assuming all along it was a spray. I'll have to look into it all more.

Sorry if I hijacked your thread PSU.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)

Post by Green » October 16th, 2017, 1:31 pm

PSU...it's such a tiny amount of N, it's not going to mess up the grass metabolism one bit. I think I calculated that it's 0.04 lb/K of N at the highest rate recommended by Morph in his article.

One thing I'll say though...use a fan tip nozzle and don't wave it back and forth or overlap too much. If I had known that, I could have had much more even coverage with less labor. For pure KBG that's medium to medium dark naturally, don't mess with anything lower than the 3oz rate...You won't see much difference at lower rates. Doing it really late in the season after growth stopped totally, I didn't notice the grass got greener...just darker and more greasy-looking. Maybe doing it a couple of weeks earlier would work better. Some people rinse it off the next morning...but I don't know if that's necessary in cooler temps. Morph says you can get away with slightly imprecise ratios in your mix and not create problems...as long as you don't make it too concentrated or apply too heavily.

LearningEveryday
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by LearningEveryday » October 16th, 2017, 4:54 pm

I get MUCH better results doing four FAS applications. Once per week, usually starting the first week of November in my area. That usually puts me with one application after topgrowth has stopped.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG

Post by MorpheusPA » October 16th, 2017, 5:14 pm

You're fine! I apply FAS, or at least FS with Miracle Gro and/or urea tossed in there, when I'm pretty sure that the top growth has gotten close to being stopped but it's not unpleasantly cold out there.

I've done it the night before a hard freeze, nights before a frost, nights before a rain, and nights before a slight warmup. Weather seems to make little difference as long as it has at least 12 hours to absorb.

TimmyG
Grass Type: Northern Mix

Post by TimmyG » October 16th, 2017, 10:15 pm

Marinegrunt wrote:
October 16th, 2017, 1:16 pm
Thanks Timmy. I'm sure you're right so thanks for catching it and correcting me. I've just been assuming all along it was a spray. I'll have to look into it all more.
I probably did more harm by trying help. Having more time now, I had a chance to take a look at your soil test thread and also saw your latest exchange with Andy. Indeed I was wrong: although it is true that granular ferrous sulfate (not FAS, again my bad) is often recommended in soil test interpretations, I see that Andy did in fact recommend FAS treatments due to your high pH. Whether direct or not, he has told you that soil applications of iron won't benefit you because of the high pH, which leaves you with foliar applications of FAS for iron. So, this thread is pertinent to you.

Marinegrunt

Post by Marinegrunt » October 17th, 2017, 10:49 am

You definitely didn't do any harm. It's nice to have everyone watching out for each other on here. With all of the different fertilizers, chemicals, fungicides, etc it's easy for some of us to get confused. I'm definitely in that category. All it takes is one mistake and we could ruin our lawn. I appreciate you questioning it because I know nothing about applying iron. It seems my soil is off so it's not common for most to do fas applications. That alone is worth questioning so thank you.

PSU4ME

Post by PSU4ME » October 17th, 2017, 2:53 pm

MorpheusPA wrote:
October 16th, 2017, 5:14 pm
You're fine! I apply FAS, or at least FS with Miracle Gro and/or urea tossed in there, when I'm pretty sure that the top growth has gotten close to being stopped but it's not unpleasantly cold out there.

I've done it the night before a hard freeze, nights before a frost, nights before a rain, and nights before a slight warmup. Weather seems to make little difference as long as it has at least 12 hours to absorb.
Morph,
Do you do just one or more than one? I want to make sure i do this evenly because i want it to look nice. I sprayed clover in my yard this fall with MSO and quinclorac and it seem to have severely damaged the grass around it.....not sure why. i did the 1 TBS rate per gallon.

Trying not to make another mistake here lol

Marinegrunt

Post by Marinegrunt » October 30th, 2017, 7:19 pm

Is it recommended to wash the fas off the grass a day or two after applying It? We do have a slight chance of rain Thursday or Friday.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre

Post by andy10917 » October 30th, 2017, 8:05 pm

At the heavier rates of application, the lawn can pick up a dull battleship gray cast if you don't rinse the FAS off. It's not always and it's not always apparent, but I certainly wouldn't want to look at a battleship gray lawn all winter.