Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
crabgrass1981
Grass Type: Tall Fescue
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Some Experience

Approach for the Spring?

Post by crabgrass1981 » October 21st, 2017, 9:12 am

Hi,

Living in 7a (Central Maryland). We moved into our house in June. Yard was mainly mix of Fescue. Our backyard is heavily shaded, while front yard is full sun. Weeds (Stiltgrass and Creeping Charlie) took over my back yard shortly after. Our front yard got some creeping charlie and lots of crabgrass. We did a soil test, and late in the summer, we killed off the backyard, and replanted a mix of dense shade grass. The Creeping Charlie started to grow back and also started taking over our front yard.

I am in the process of taking out the Creeping Charlie with Tricopyr and 2,4d. Its working (albeit slower than I would like, but it apparently can take 2-3 rounds). As the weeds (and crabgrass) die out in the front yard, I am getting large bare spots in my lawn. In addition, while the seed in the backyard came in, there are areas where its spotty and thin, ruts marks from lawn mower and holes from squirrels. My concern is that next spring, there is still going to be a lot of thin and bare spots that weeds are going to try and take over quickly.

1) Overseed as early as possible in March (or dormant seed); and fill in bare spots (use scotts starter with tenacity); then drop Dimension in mid/late April after grass is established. This should fill in some of the bare spots. I will likely need to fight the Japanese stiltgrass with a post-emergent (like Acclaim).

2) Drop Barricade/Halts in early March; then some Dimension later in the Spring. Focus on stopping the Japanese stiltgrass in the first place. Overseed in the fall. This seems to be traditional wisdom - however I am concerned that broadleaf weeds, moss and others will take over all the bare spots in the back.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks!

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Approach for the Spring?

Post by andy10917 » October 21st, 2017, 10:08 am

The Pre/Post method you listed is appropriate for Stiltgrass. It is very important to do the treatment for at least two years - even if you're not seeing Stiltgrass.

crabgrass1981

Post by crabgrass1981 » October 21st, 2017, 11:34 am

But would you try and overseed to fill in thin and bare spots? Or just go full pre-emergent as early as possible in the spring?

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » October 21st, 2017, 12:14 pm

I have no idea what the difference in time is between earliest seed-down date and Stiltgrass emergence date in MD. You have to do the math...

crabgrass1981

Post by crabgrass1981 » October 21st, 2017, 12:35 pm

It’s mid-March. So you are recommending just trying to block any emergence of the stiltgrass right off the bat vs trying to fill in thin/bare spots?

I am just trying to figure out if it’s better to not have stiltgrass but have bare spots (room for other weeds/issue). Or take a risk and fill in the patches but have to deal with the stiltgrass.

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » October 21st, 2017, 2:07 pm

I don't recommend any particular plan for grass - I try to help you do what YOU want to do (unless it's not possible). I think the standard (late August) seeding makes some sense for your situation, and I don't see reason to be overconcerned about simple weeds before then.

crabgrass1981

Post by crabgrass1981 » October 21st, 2017, 3:56 pm

Thanks!