Late Milorganite application

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
Mattsbay18
Grass Type: Kentucky Bluegrass/Fescue/Quackgrass :)
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Late Milorganite application

Post by Mattsbay18 » November 16th, 2017, 11:38 am

Was hoping to get some advice on a late Milorganite application. I came across some clearance Milorganite at Menards, $2.50 a bag. :yahoo: I live in Wisconsin and I'm about to be snowed in for the next few months. Would it be best to apply the Milorganite now, before the snow comes or should I store it in the garage for an early spring application?

Thanks

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Late Milorganite application

Post by andy10917 » November 16th, 2017, 2:00 pm

I'd save it for the Spring. Milorganite doesn't break down in the Fall (it requires the microherd to do that, and the microherd goes to sleep at roughly the same time as the grass). If the grass is still growing slightly, you may force tender new growth that may be damaged in Winter. So, basically there is nothing to be gained and the possibility of negative outcomes if you put it down now.

Mattsbay18
Grass Type: Kentucky Bluegrass/Fescue/Quackgrass :)

Post by Mattsbay18 » November 17th, 2017, 11:46 am

andy10917 wrote:
November 16th, 2017, 2:00 pm
I'd save it for the Spring. Milorganite doesn't break down in the Fall (it requires the microherd to do that, and the microherd goes to sleep at roughly the same time as the grass). If the grass is still growing slightly, you may force tender new growth that may be damaged in Winter. So, basically there is nothing to be gained and the possibility of negative outcomes if you put it down now.
Then that's what I'll do. Thanks for the advice.

73Chall
Grass Type: Tall Fescue

Post by 73Chall » November 21st, 2017, 12:50 am

That’s the advice I followed and it paid off. I brought 15 bags of the stuff home and was hot to trot when I came across (first time for me) the Fall Fertilizer guidance here, realized my lawn was smack in The Pause phase and, as hard as it was for me to “do nuthin” I put the bags up on a pallet until I was well into this year.

That stuff is the bee’s knees though!