Leaf Spot & Melting Out

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
Powhatan

Leaf Spot & Melting Out

Post by Powhatan » November 22nd, 2017, 2:11 pm

I noticed this occurring mainly in the front yard where most new grass seems to struggle to establish and maintain. This is just over a one year old new home construction located in a several acre native wooded area. I've overseeded twice (Spring & Fall) with tall fescue and perennial ryegrass. Various trees in the woods surrounding the house also have the leaf spot to a varying degree, so this may just be an annual natural ocurrence.

I'm guessing I may have applied too much nitrogen fertilizer this year, especially during the late Summer and early Fall months, when I put down applications of higher N% Scotts fast-release which may have caused the disease to flourish on the turf. I'll try to use more of the slow-release organic N next year.

Does anyone know of a leaf spot resistant tall fescue cultivar? I've tried researching the NTEP website without success. I'd rather not put down any fungicides if I can help it.

Tree close to the front yard also with the leaf spot.

Powhatan

Re: Leaf Spot & Melting Out

Post by Powhatan » November 27th, 2017, 4:56 pm

In researching this it appears to be a "Helminthosporium disease" which includes leaf spot, melting out, net-blotch, and crown and root rot.

"In turfgrass tall fescue, bermudagrass and ryegrass the disease is most active during cool, wet weather in the spring and fall. The diseases generally start as leaf spots and may progress to sheath and crown rots.
Leaves have circular to elongate, purple or brown spots with straw-colored centers. When disease lesions become
extensive, turfgrass leaves turn reddish-brown, then yellow and die. Melting out may follow, and appears as a reddish
-brown rotting of the leaf sheaths, crowns, rhizomes and stolons. "

https://www.clemson.edu/extension/hgic/ ... ic2152.pdf
https://www.turfmagazine.com/maintenanc ... e-averted/

My turf soil has had mostly a damp feel to it this past month. The surrounding wooded area along with blanketing fallen leaves are limiting the amount of direct sun to help dry the soil. This Fall dampness is going to be an annual problem I suspect, unless I cut down trees to allow more sun light in or start putting down fungicides. Live and learn, it's a new house and turf. :read:

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Leaf Spot & Melting Out

Post by turf_toes » November 27th, 2017, 7:36 pm

That turf magazine piece is in need of an editor.